Gibson Brands Forums

Smartwood Les Pauls

ksdaddy

Sometimes I see a Smartwood LP up for grabs and sometimes it's quite a bargain. I happened upon one recently that was made in '99 and the seller makes no statement as to the kind of wood it is made from. I suppose if it had the original documentation that would have the info.

I would imagine they used many, many different types of wood on that model, so how would a person determine what it's made from with no documentation? Were they broken down into 'runs' that could be easily determined by the serial number date?

I don't even know if I'm interested in buying one, but the question remains.

img6761.jpg

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA_PDFs/Smartwood_data_sheet.pdf

SmartWood series[edit]

The SmartWood series consists chronologically of three models; the Exotic, the Studio and the Swamp Ash models. The SmartWood series is certified environmentally "responsible" by the Rainforest Alliance via their SmartWood program. Gibson is independently audited on an annual basis by the Rainforest Alliance to ensure that only FSC-certified wood is used in the construction of Gibson's SmartWood line of instruments.[citation needed]

SmartWood Exotic[edit]

The SmartWood Exotic line (1996-2002), which was composed of six models. The SmartWood line featured tops made from different woods: Curupay has a deep chocolate-walnut richness; Peroba recalls the orangey hue of the old pine ceiling beam; Banara has a golden, banana-like glow; Ambay Guasu boasts the even lightness of maple; Taperyva Guasu is reminiscent of a sun-bleached rosewood, and Chancharana is a deep, warm-brown russet. The fretboards are all made from "Curupay" harvested from forests certified in accordance with the rules of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). The mahogany used in the construction of this model is from similarly certified forests. The SmartWood Exotic had a thinner, belly contoured, body than the Studio (somewat similar to that of the Les Paul Custom Lite), and had "smart wood" written on the truss rod cover.[2]

Studio SmartWood[edit]

The Studio SmartWood (LPEXMUGH1) was constructed from wood certified by the Rainforest Alliance. While the back and the neck are made from the usual mahogany, the carved top is made from Muiricatiara, along with a Preciosa rosewood fingerboard.[3] It was in production from December 2002 until 2008 and had a standard body, no pick-guard, gold hardware, dot-type fret markers, mother of pearl Gibson headstock logo, and a unique metallic green-leaf within the truss rod cover.[4]

Not sure about when each wood was used, but serial number should trace the wood in that particular guitar...IF Gibson kept track of such things?

CB

Archived