Gibson Brands Forums

Last day of work

saturn

Well today is my last day on the job which I've held for the past 8 years.

When my job with the airlines dried up after 18 years due to the lingering effects of 9/11 and airline consolidations, I went to work for my best friend. He is an engineer and machinist who owns his own shop. He's taught me a lot of things including how to operate and program CNC machines and wire EDMs. Well, now it's time for me to spread my wings a little and move on to a bigger company with more opportunities. I begin my new position on Monday with a company that manufactures parts mainly for aerospace and defense systems. I'm a little nervous because the machines and parts will be much more complex than anything I've done so far. [unsure] But they liked me at the new place and think that with a little training I'll work out well. My friend wishes me well and says I still have a job to come back to if something doesn't work out, so that's comforting.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll need it. :rolleyes:

Guest Farnsbarns

I feel sure you don't need it but I hope you have the very best fortune in your new endeavor. It's a strange mix of excitement and trepidation starting a new job. You won't sleep well tonight I'm sure. :blink:

Yeah... good luck man...

And don't worry too much.. Ive had like 8 or 9 jobs over the last 20 years and each time its the same.. Of course you will be a bit nervous that's more than natural in this sort of situation, just take it as it comes, the first week or two (even a month or so) you will be learning a lot and will show if you are right for the position and they are happy with you, after that it just becomes a job like any other :).. But be thankful you got a new job, ive been out of work for several years now and while I was looking for work didn't get a single interview in over two years, its pretty bad out there..

Best wishes - I hope it all works out.

My last day at my current job is Fri Dec 19th. I am 60, taking redundancy with a pay-off and a small pension which should just about pay my monthly service bills.

I get the money at the end of January.

So I'm going to have to do something more to get money to live on. Which is going to be:

Music. There are gigs coming up which will pay expenses but I need more; 8-10 a month at least, which is every weekend.

I was a guitar teacher for 12 years and I want to set it up again and get it to the point where I'm doing 'Guitar for oldies'. That is, the main market for guitar lessons is young guys, or old guys who have retired and have more time and got money to spend on their dream guitar and time to take a few lessons. The latter is who I want to reach.

But the point is, to make money, however little, by doing what I want now.

Time is the finite currency as one recent thread in the forum pointed out.

Regards!

Archived