Gibson Brands Forums

Streaming players

LarryUK

Guest Farnsbarns

Do any of you use streaming players? Roku, Chromecast, Now TV etc? Any good? which is the best to go for?

TV now is crap. They're a bunch if crooks IMO. Don't know about any others but I know all my friends swear by Netflix.

We used the Samsung DVD player apps until I got tired of resetting the SOB every time I wanted to use it. I bought a $100 Roku box and it's been flawless for months.

Netflix is pretty decent too. Compared to pay-per-view and DVD rental, $8/month is easily a bargain

Dexter and Breaking Bad make the first few months priceless :)

Yeah I think it can depend on what device you want to use for viewing them on...

I have used Netflix and its pretty good.. The only issues I have with it is that they don't update their content enough and I use it on my Xbox which makes searching for content kinda hard.. If you use a PC say to watch it the searching capabilities are much better as you can search by Genre.. But apart from that you cant complain, I think its £6.99 a month to watch how ever much you want and its based on a monthly contract so you don't have to have it the whole year.. (well it is here anyway).

I hear that the Amazon one is pretty good too.. Amazon Instant Video I think its called, or something like that.

I gave up cable two years ago and got a Roku with which I stream Netflix, Hulu and a few others including Youtube. My total monthly bill is less than %50. Netflix has good months and bad months with regards to their offerings and can get a bit boring depending on your tastes. Hulu is a good companion to Netflix in our house.

One thing I did not miss from Network and Cable were the recent depressing election ads.

We also have a NEO streaming player which is similar to a Roku (I think it's offered by Netgear). It doesn't offer the same variety of channels and the interface is much different. One things I noticed with both players is the difficulty to read the preview of whatever you're considering watching.

There a few "upstart" channels like "Drive In Classics" that will show the SAME commercial every break which spoils the experience. I guess this shows that they are still seeking advertisers.

Amazon pretty much has it all in that you can get a huge bunch of programs for just subscribing and also have instant access to renting whatever else you want to watch.

The only thing I miss with my current set-up is certain live sports events, but I don't miss cable TV.

Archived