Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Apple, I think you've changed my mind...

kidblast

I don't care much for apple products, never been a fan of the MAC's (as an IT support guy, I typically run the other way when I see someone coming with a MAC problem..) not really much into tablets, and I wont buy an iPhone, and I honestly just don't understand the frenzy created when ever a new version is released, and lets not talk about what restrictions they put on the stuff in iTunes..

I've often said, Apple should change the logo,, instead of an apple with a bite out of it, they should just use a swastika..

BUT, all that said,,, I do like iPods. I have 160gb Classic, pretty much essential equipment, it's got enough storage where I can have everything loaded on it. it's great! iTunes,, like I said, Meh, not great, but what can ya do.

So my iPod classic bounced off my kitchen floor Saturday morning, it's happened before and lived thru it, but this last bounce killed the hard drive.

So I start checking around,, the DIY repairs are doable, but looked to be a total PITA (gotta by tools to open the case, 20 bucks, and you gotta get a hard drive -- 80 bucks)

So I figured I'd TRY to see what the support process was all about. (I was thinking, this is gonna really suck). Now keep in mind, you can't do much with apple support with out getting out a credit card... so I take a leap of faith, and start a "out of Warranty Repair" The charge was $129 for a "Repair" for 160gb (late 2009) iPod, 8 bucks for S&H 10 bucks for tax. (they go about 260 new before tax).

Had to find a UPS store so it could be shipped (That was a pain, nearest one was 30 minutes away.. what ever) So long story short; Monday night, it was shipped from Acton Mass overnight to where ever they want them to go.

I get home yesterday, and there it is.. waiting at the door. Delivered in 3 days? What?

The thing looks brand new (I know it's refurbed.. but it sure don't look refurbed..)

Plugged it in charged it up, restored and boom, in bizz..

So now, I don't despise Apple quite like I used to.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it until I can find an air tight alibi.

Just now setting up my new Macbook Pro with Retina. My last Macbook lasted me 8.5 years. I would never think of using anything else at this point. Picked up a Yamaha RX-A740 and am now able to stream all my music library with such ease. I still have a Thorens TD 165 if I need to go old school buy I'd have to say these devices are just amazing.

When I finaly made the switch to Apple I wondered what took me so long.

Their products have their issues but they are nothing compared to the problems I had with anything Microsoft

You can say that again. I wasted 5 or 6 years trying to navigate the PC world. I wish I could get back that time and money. When I purchased my first Apple product, everything fell into place.

I use apple and other than long lines at stores there customer service is great. I took a phone in a few months ago that was having trouble with the battery staying charge for more than 5-6 hours they ran a quick diagnostics check it and said yeah its not showing full charges doe you drop calls? Ive been in tech for years so I knew to say now that you mention it yeah it does drop calls . the guy smiled and said ok will replace there almost a month left on your extended warranty went back and came out with a brand new phone in a sealed box opened it in front of me swapped by sim and out the door i was with a brand new 5s no argument no questions nothing. three days later I dropped my iPad and it bounced badly and yep cracked screen made an appointment walked in showed him the iPad same scenario he said you have Apple Service plus here's a brand new one. you only get two drops so be careful if you can and i was out with a brand spanking new iPad .

so like them or not can't see many complaints with the service and warranty service Ive received.

I recently installed OS 8 on my iPad Air and the video went crazy. I got online with their support for some help but the video completely died within a week. Got an appt at the Genius Bar. They told me that the iPad was 10 days past the 12 month warranty but replaced it with a new (not refurbished) iPad at no cost to me. They acknowledged that I had initially contacted them just prior to the end of the year. That made me happy, I'm typing on it right now.

All in. 3 Apple phones in the house and the next computers will be Mac/Apple, as will any pads.

I started a thread a while back about Apple Pay but didn't get any response which I thought was very curious. :-k

I'll probably even check out the watch, it looks cool as heck.

Archived