Gibson Brands Forums

And now, for something completely different!

Marshall Paul

OK, I know we mainly talk about LP's here, but, how many of you out there have a V? (c'mon, fess up). I bought a new one last year to re aquaint myself and fell back head over heels again in love with it.

12"r neck, ceramic sisters for pups...yeah baby, I'm in!

The only change I made to it was a Stetsbar Tremlo system on the end. A bit tail heavy now but, a total rock monster (great for big dive bombs. Actually, come to think of it, there's probably less metal on the Harbour Bridge than there is in this trem).

So, who's got a V and how are you liking it? I love this new one. There just seems there's nothing you can't do with it.

C'mon, time to fess up!! :rolleyes:

I like em but they are a pain to sit down and play. The older ones with the rubber grip on the side did nothing to prevent it from sliding down your leg. The other option is to stick the lower part of the V between your legs. I know there is going to be a joke made out of that statement. It is more of a standing and playing guitar. I have seen a bracket you can mount to the bottom to keep it from sliding, but you have to put in screws to secure it.

Wait!....gimmie just a minute, I'll come up with some!

Well here are the pictures I promised (but nobody asked for). as for sitting with the V, I find it quite comfortable, you just stick the lower horn under your thigh, and let the upper horn hang over. you can even control the angle the v sits at by squeezing your things together, but once again there's probably a joke in there.

P1100194_zpsfbf729d4.jpg

P1100193_zps402493f4.jpg

Well here are the pictures I promised (but nobody asked for). as for sitting with the V, I find it quite comfortable, you just stick the lower horn under your thigh, and let the upper horn hang over. you can even control the angle the v sits at by squeezing your things together, but once again there's probably a joke in there.

P1100194_zpsfbf729d4.jpg

P1100193_zps402493f4.jpg

Sticking it between your thighs and squeezing it is borderline ok, ok?. It's just when you do that while stroking it and calling it Janice, that's when it gets a little too weird for me!

In the meantime, that's a ripper V mate. Same as mine except my pups are double black and I stuck a trem system on the bridge.

I briefly owned one. I bought it strictly to make money and didn't have it sitting long enough to fall in love with it or not. It was....umm... trying to recall.... I know it was a 1982 and MAY have even been made in Kalamazoo. Not sure. I know it had zebra pickups stock (Dirty Fingers maybe?) and it was a gorgeous sunburst like a nicely aged 59 LP. I almost think it said "The V" on the truss rod cover. I don't recall it having a pickguard at all but it did have top binding. I think it had dot inlays with neck binding. Maybe no neck binding. It's been a while.

In any case, I scored it out of the back room of the pawn shop for $300 and sold it on ebay a week later for $900. That was around 2000 or so. I'm sure the price would be much higher now.

I briefly owned one. I bought it strictly to make money and didn't have it sitting long enough to fall in love with it or not. It was....umm... trying to recall.... I know it was a 1982 and MAY have even been made in Kalamazoo. Not sure. I know it had zebra pickups stock (Dirty Fingers maybe?) and it was a gorgeous sunburst like a nicely aged 59 LP. I almost think it said "The V" on the truss rod cover. I don't recall it having a pickguard at all but it did have top binding. I think it had dot inlays with neck binding. Maybe no neck binding. It's been a while.

In any case, I scored it out of the back room of the pawn shop for $300 and sold it on ebay a week later for $900. That was around 2000 or so. I'm sure the price would be much higher now.

Aw, it's sounds beautiful. I wouldn't have sold it for nothing. Good profit though.

I had one for a while... This one...

CopyofDSC00951_zpse4d4155c.jpg

I actually was going to get a faded but the shop had to get it sent from another store... When it arrived and I said it was the wrong one they had sold out of the faded versions and let me have this at the same price :)

I never really did quite bond with it.. But a few weeks later I walked into the same shop and saw this

IMG_0156_zps16aa4ebf.jpg

Which was total love at first sight.. Since I didn't have all the money at the time they took the V back as part payment for it (and I got full price back which was good)... Never really been tempted by another V after that.

That's a beautiful Paul Rabs, I don't blame you.

Thanks man... I do love it so much.. Ever since I saw Alex Lifeson with a LP that colour (the first Axcess one) I wanted one bad and this one was just waiting for me to walk in and claim her :) (its a 2008 Standard (from 2011 [rolleyes] )

I played a REAL '59 once. What really struck me about that guitar was how lightweight it was.

Always been a fan of the original design natural Korina V's, and could have bought the '59 for $60K or $80K. I was also talked out of buying one of the early 80's "Heritage" ones by a Vintage Guitar Dealer friend of mine. All he could talk about was how INACCURATE the guitars were. But then he owned three '58/59's and I didn't. I should have NOT listened to him and picked up one of the Heritages up when they were going for under a grand.

I had one for a while... This one...

CopyofDSC00951_zpse4d4155c.jpg

That's the one I got. Just imagine the Sydney Harbour Bridge hanging off where the stop bar is. And Schaller locking tuners. And LP period knobs with pointers (easier to see on a multi lit stage). And there's a particular oddity with them I still can't figure out. There were no pickup mounting rings(?). So I put a set of white rings on the pups, helped to stabilize them in the recess.

I love it. Just something about it that I can't put my finger on, but it just feels...right.

Hello!

I love the Vs, as I do love the concept of all-mahogany guitars...

...but somehow I never get near to buy one. There`s always a Les Paul that grabs my attention and I forget about the Vs.

Yes. They are over-shadowed by LPs... [unsure]

Cheers... Bence

I had a Faded for a bit and really liked the neck on it.

The pick ups, well, they seemed geared a bit more for the metal crowd when I was thinking Wishbone Ash when I bought it.

In actual fact, I read somewhere that when they first came out, the big time blue's men of Chicago started using them.

That's the one I got. Just imagine the Sydney Harbour Bridge hanging off where the stop bar is. And Schaller locking tuners. And LP period knobs with pointers (easier to see on a multi lit stage). And there's a particular oddity with them I still can't figure out. There were no pickup mounting rings(?). So I put a set of white rings on the pups, helped to stabilize them in the recess.

I love it. Just something about it that I can't put my finger on, but it just feels...right.

Yeah I think the actual model was called a V68 or V Factor 68 or something... cant even remember now.

And yeah, no mounting rings cos of the large pickguard... like a Fender :unsure: ;)

Yeah I think the actual model was called a V68 or V Factor 68 or something... cant even remember now.

And yeah, no mounting rings cos of the large pickguard... like a Fender :unsure: ;)

Ah, mystery solved.

Darn it. I was hoping this would be a Monty Python thread.lol.

C'mon Boris, just imagine.

You up front on the LP, your backing band The Crypt Kicker 5 blazing away on V's, It'd howl!!

I'd be in the crowd!

I played a REAL '59 once. What really struck me about that guitar was how lightweight it was.

Always been a fan of the original design natural Korina V's, and could have bought the '59 for $60K or $80K. I was also talked out of buying one of the early 80's "Heritage" ones by a Vintage Guitar Dealer friend of mine. All he could talk about was how INACCURATE the guitars were. But then he owned three '58/59's and I didn't. I should have NOT listened to him and picked up one of the Heritages up when they were going for under a grand.

This new one I got is that way, super light. I though initially that if I stood any chance of getting any sustain out of it I'd have to crank the comp pedal, yet with just the right ammount of vol and judicious suble trem work, it's got sustain to boot. Go figure.

Under a grand? Oh man, that's a deal that went walking eh! I could cry.

Archived