Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 50th Ann. "1962" Crestwood Custom Black Friday sale

truetone6

They would have been $340.00 with the "plush case" in 1962, that's about $2,641.22 in 2014 conversion dollars. holy moley

Annual Inflation: 4.02%Total Inflation: 676.83%

That is about the same price as a 2015 Gibson SG with Sideways Vibrola (link)

Here is some info on the average cost of living in 1962 (link)

x7ciho0jasllakupouie.jpg

This thing, upon initial play time, certainly appears and plays as another great, great Epiphone electric guitar, thanks Epiphone...the coolness factor is 110% on this one. I suppose you could play any genre of guitar tunes on it, but the blues backing track in the key of E that I played along to...well, perfect actuallymsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif, and the volume can be way up, before it starts to feed backmellow.gifsmile.gif. The whammy tremolo works great, pull up and the highest of high notes as well as the lowest of the lows, with a "dive bomb"...comes back to pitch OK too, better than a few other nice Epiphone instruments here...maybe I'll leave the bridge as is, no roller bridge "upgrade" as it does return pretty darn good...I am a happy Epiphoneite tonight...time to rock...lol

Picture5copy_zps669f3b97.jpg

62Crestwoodreissue_zpsf4545436.jpg

Ouch! That was bloody awful. Sorry but I expected more from 40something years experience and fourty guitars. How can anybody here take your advice regarding tone and playability after listening to that. Not touting my own playing here but rather as a listener. I get your love of music and guitars and you are well-liked and popular member of this forum but that was not enjoyable. Sorry.

Sound effect pedals are what they are. That was hitched up to a Zoom Multi-Stomp with the "voicerev" sound effect selected. Gibson GA-5W. I can play the "same old same old", some classic rock, classical, county, metal, dropped tuned...the standard fare...but prefer not to. Never was a "conformist"...Take that seriously...msp_thumbup.gif

Not much discussion about sound effect pedals here. I understand various pedals can produce "unpleasant" effects...and that the clarity can get "muddy" . That particular effect varies the volume and "timbre" of the electric guitar. I also used an ISP Decimator II to get rid of any background hum. That Zoom multi-stomp thing is really quite a sound effects thing. 100 varying effects that can all be tweaked and saved, USB connectivity to share and upgrade firmware...check it out

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g

Maybe, some day, I'll perform something more conventional...not today....msp_tongue.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_love.gif

Hey guys, I bought the last Crestwood at Guitar Center Hollywood yesterday as it was super discounted from the discounted price: $177.

It was that dirt cheap because it's missing the case and half of the Tremotone. But the electronic is good and the guitar is truly a blast to play! [thumbup]

I was just wondering if someone knew where I could get a Tremotone (not a vintage one)? Does Epiphone sell the piece independently? Is it available anywhere, besides waiting for one to show up on Ebay..?

IMG_5047.jpg

more fiddle diddle.....(sorry Epiphone, was what was plugged in...)

msp_biggrin.gif

a bit more "conventional" as wellmsp_unsure.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_rolleyes.gif

That Harmony...Mom made me take care of that one...lol

if you could just figure out a way to keep them from sliding off your lap :)

This unconventional instrument is very well made as far as I can see after playing it for a while. You can tell by the unconventional sounds this thing can produce, great resonance. I have never said I was an accomplished musician, just a hack, who happens to enjoy plucking guitars, Epiphones mostly, and there are literally millions of guitar sound effect pedals, new ones every day that make the strangest, most odd and peculiar electrically produced noises that a person ever did hear. Who here has a pedal board ? I tried to start a thread about sound effect pedals a while ago, kind of petered out...lol..But ya, I like making the most odd, foul and unpleasant sounds that my pedal chain can produce. makes my youngest kid laugh...also the most stunning "sounds", as some of the sound effect units available, "plug ins" and other modern effects that are used to make"music", are unexplainable unique sounds. And when they are combined together there are infinite possibilities of all the noises and sounds, from an electric guitar that you can produce with a loud electric guitar and amp. I like to experiment with sound that can be produced with an electric guitar, and the external "noise making" gadgets and effect pedals that can be hitched up to it..might not be "music" per se, avant garde ? who knows...crust noise, more like it...lol And, I like Epiphone guitars...does that make me a bad person ?? lol

Time to make some noise...msp_thumbup.gifmsp_biggrin.gifsmile.gif

and, as a retired electro-mechanical engineer and "liberal artist", I am also kind of interested in how sound effects pedals are programmed, the "asthetics" of noises and sounds, it's effect on people, the kind of chips and electronics, as well as mechanical components these things are made of. I have a couple of keyboard synthesizers, that my 2 kids and their girls use and they and I have been experimenting with the "wave forms" and other adjustable parameters that those things are capable of, run the output through a couple electric guitar effects pedals, a looper...odd sounds indeed, but it is fun and interesting for me to fool around with, particularly this time of year, being retired, and it's cold outside...keeps me semi entertained...smile.gif

Never heard anything quite like an electric guitar working in conjunction with several "modern" sound effect and multi effect pedals ?...With "today's" myriad sound effects petals, multi- loop "loopers", and "tone machines", echo/reverb "space" chambers and other very odd "noise makers" (electric guitar sound effect pedals), with the thousands presently available, and more every day...well grampa's electric guitar will never sound the same...msp_biggrin.gifmsp_unsure.gifeusa_think.gifsmile.gif

I guess some like their electric guitar noise unadulterated...not modified by odd and peculiar sounds these modern effect units can produce. msp_smile.gif I happen to really enjoy...it is irritating to some, because the noises are so strange that can be produced...how do you fit them into a "classic" tune...and how do you use the infinite odd "sounds" they can make in a "modern" tune...? and how do you write "conventional" notes and musical scores, with several, if not more, sound effect pedals, all "working" at the same instant in a particular "tune" ? I guess time, and more adept musicians than myself will eventually find out. In the mean time, I will make more irritating sounds to annoy my youngest son...olo. I wonder what his alto sax/EWI would sound like with the pick up microphone attached to and played through several electric guitar sound effect pedal units...hmmm...tomorrow, time for more experimentationmsp_scared.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_unsure.gifeusa_think.gif

And I wonder what new and odd effects pedals are being presently developed by all the "pedal builders" in 2015...looks, to me, to be very promising, if you enjoy making "noise" on your electric guitar(s) in the immediate , near and far futuremsp_thumbup.gif

Never heard anything quite like an electric guitar working in conjunction with several "modern" sound effect and multi effect pedals ?...With "today's" myriad sound effects petals, multi- loop "loopers", and "tone machines", echo/reverb "space" chambers and other very odd "noise makers" (electric guitar sound effect pedals), with the thousands presently available, and more every day...well grampa's electric guitar will never sound the same...msp_biggrin.gifmsp_unsure.gifeusa_think.gifsmile.gif

I guess some like their electric guitar noise unadulterated...not modified by odd and peculiar sounds these modern effect units can produce. msp_smile.gif I happen to really enjoy...it is irritating to some, because the noises are so strange that can be produced...how do you fit them into a "classic" tune...and how do you use the infinite odd "sounds" they can make in a "modern" tune...? and how do you write "conventional" notes and musical scores, with several, if not more, sound effect pedals, all "working" at the same instant in a particular "tune" ? I guess time, and more adept musicians than myself will eventually find out. In the mean time, I will make more irritating sounds to annoy my youngest son...olo. I wonder what his alto sax/EWI would sound like with the pick up microphone attached to and played through several electric guitar sound effect pedal units...hmmm...tomorrow, time for more experimentationmsp_scared.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_unsure.gifeusa_think.gif

And I wonder what new and odd effects pedals are being presently developed by all the "pedal builders" in 2015...looks, to me, to be very promising, if you enjoy making "noise" on your electric guitar(s) in the immediate , near and far futuremsp_thumbup.gif

Hey Crust,

This is straight up your alley! Improvisation Video

This type of music has always intrigued me. Here is a video of a composition by George Crumb that I heard at recital this weekend.

Legit (classical) players have been experimenting with this sort of thing forever.

I do have to say that I really enjoy listing to this sort of thing live but I really don't have any records of the genre… ;~)

Archived