Gibson Brands Forums

Hello!! ... and an NGD report.

Flyer91

Hi guys!

My first post here to say "Hi!", and one that includes a NGD report.

I got a 15% off "loyalty" coupon from GC after buying a Gretsch G5422TDCG last month (along with some home studio equipment) and most recently they gave me a price match +10% off of the difference on a US Fender Vintage Hot Rod '60's Strat, with the Fender version of coil tapping (in a sense) that allowed me to use a competitor's already great sale price of $1200 as the match target to GC's $2300 normal price, and so I got it for the amazing price of $1090!

So since I already have an Agile AL-3200 ... which as you may know is a fairly decent LP copy, I decided to use the coupon to buy an Epi Limited Edition Explorer Pro in TV Silver (although the Epi Black Beauty 3 was/is in my main GAS sights [love] ).

I had read a few of not-so-flattering reviews about the less expensive Epis ... and specifically this particular Explorer model, but those negatives were mostly about cosmetics, and although that's important to me, the overwhelming positive reviews of it ... and certainly with the 15% off coupon putting it at a price of $255 ..... sort'a made it a no brainer, easy to return if I don't like it, 'test-the-Epi-waters' before I go for the BB3, decision.

Well ... it got here today, and the only issue I found after a very thorough inspection, is a cosmetic one consisting of a small dot of black paint under the clear coat on the neck near one of the fret dots (like maybe a 'fly speck' of paint dropped on when they painted the dots).

I'm using a Fender Mustang V (v2) half stack, and so far this thing is everything the positive reviews claimed it to be ...and then some.

My AL-3200 is a neck-through guitar ... this Epi Explorer has 'every bit' the sustain it does, and the tone from the Alnico Classics Pros is certainly more than just satisfactory to me!

I love the way this Epi sounds!!

I am 'very' surprised about this especially since I haven't changed out the strings.

I have no idea what they are stock, but they're doing very well indeed ... although I do like Ernie Ball Super Slinky nickel coated cheapies, so I might give them a try.

The set up is also better than what I expected, and a quick check with a capo, feeler gauge, and metal mm ruler, shows the nut cut height, neck relief and action to be pretty much text book, with no buzzing at all, no matter how heavy handed I get! So I'm thinking the light EB's will work just fine on it. [thumbup]

Also ... in some reviews I've read on the Epis with coil tapping, said that there was very little sound difference between bucking and tapped modes, as well as little difference in tone ... irrespective of 'where/how much' the knob was rotated to, and/or that the Classic pups were muddy.

I'm just not finding any of that, and based on how well this specific Epi is doing for me, I have to believe that they are either extremely tone deaf, and/or their guitars are not wired correctly. [confused]

There is a significant, non-repeated, and unmistakable tone difference in 'all' of the 8 different combinations of the pup selector Vs coil-tapping switches, and the tone control does exactly what I would expect it to do ... and does it very well.

I don't know about you guys but to me, this is all pretty impressive ... at any price!

Now I just need to see if I can mod the 4 wire pup system in the same way that I did my AL-3200 ..... so that I can have 'fully' independent volume control at 'all' times (i.e. no killing the sound when in the center position and turning one volume control to zero).

Knowing that "it didn't happen without pic's" ..... I'll get some pic's up soon,and try to get a good shot of the "fly speck" on the neck..

Anyway ..... glad to be here, and very happy to be a first-time new Epi owner! [smile]

Here's some pics of it ........ and it's new siblings in their native habitat. [wink]

First is the picture of the only real flaw I could find.

It's the small speck of black paint (under the clear coat) near the fret dot, that I think might have dripped on when the fret dots were painted. [confused]

IMG_2663.jpg

I got the Explorer case for $50 delivered off fleabay! The faux python skin strap is an Amazon $18 cheapie, but looks the part well enough.

IMG_2638.jpg

The stand it's on is a Fender adjustable ... to match the Explorer's body shape.

IMG_2653.jpg

It's in fairly good "make some noise" company ....

IMG_2661.jpg

Once again ..... I'm 'really' impressed with this Epi!

And I'm sure I'll be adding more of them ...... soon! [smile]

Whoa! You can say that again. You play keys too? And drums? Is that TV monitor big enough? :rolleyes:

Although percussion has been my main gigging interest over the years, I've also enjoyed keys and 6 string ... but on a more amateur level.

Because of the close relationship between percussion and the bass, and due to the good folks at the local V.A. hospital notifying me that my heart is not going to keep letting me play my drums in the style I accustomed to, I decided to give learning "finger method" bass a try.

Ya'd think it would be easy, and some songs are to be sure.

But I give total props to guys that can really wail on a bass 'and' also play guitar.

Yeah, as one guy to another ... is any TV ever really "big enough"?

I mean ... as long as it fits through the door, right? [wink]

In view of how well this Epi Explorer is working it out for me, I went ahead and ordered a Les Paul Black Beauty 3, a Limited Edition 1966 G-400 PRO, and a 50th Anniversary 1962 Crestwood Custom Reissue (all are Epis).

Like I said in my OP ... "I'm sure I'll be adding more of them ...... soon!"

And now I have. [biggrin]

BTW: Guitar Center is having a 15% off with code "blackfriday" at checkout, through Sunday on a single item ... so if you want the discount on more than one item you need to make out separate orders.

Here's some pics of it ........ and it's new siblings in their native habitat. [wink]

First is the picture of the only real flaw I could find.

It's the small speck of black paint (under the clear coat) near the fret dot, that I think might have dripped on when the fret dots were painted. [confused]

IMG_2663.jpg

I got the Explorer case for $50 delivered off fleabay! The faux python skin strap is an Amazon $18 cheapie, but looks the part well enough.

IMG_2638.jpg

The stand it's on is a Fender adjustable ... to match the Explorer's body shape.

IMG_2653.jpg

It's in fairly good "make some noise" company ....

IMG_2661.jpg

Once again ..... I'm 'really' impressed with this Epi!

And I'm sure I'll be adding more of them ...... soon! [smile]

msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Archived