Gibson Brands Forums

How many Johnny A's have been made?

CharlesM3

Hi Charles,

I think they are up to about 1200 or so. You should check out this site:

http://jaguitar.org

It is the registry of Johnny A. guitars. I have a 2003 JA024 from the first production run. It has a Gingerburst quilt finish.

DSC02075.jpg

It is also in the Johnny A. Guitar Registry. You can easily register yours if you want.

1417536728[/url]' post='1597480']

Hi Charles,

I think they are up to about 1200 or so. You should check out this site:

http://jaguitar.org

It is the registry of Johnny A. guitars. I have a 2003 JA024 from the first production run. It has a Gingerburst quilt finish.

DSC02075.jpg

It is also in the Johnny A. Guitar Registry. You can easily register yours if you want.

JO'C...sweet guitar. Thanks for the info. I actually already registered mine. It is 896, standard, ginger, bigsby. Still getting used to the larger neck (I mostly play 135 and 137s) but it's sheer beauty (even in the more subdued standard form) is worth keeping around for sure.

There is a new JA Standard with a "JASxxx" serial number. Don't know if the original standard is still available or not. My guess is that it is not. Check some out on Wildwood's site. More like the Original JA custom's than the 2008 version of the standard. The first version of the JA standard did not have many made. Don't know exact number but would guess under 200, maybe even under 100 made.

JA's at Wildwood

jas007_f.jpgjas007_bf.jpg

Yes, I saw those.

I also saw that MF had a Johnny A listed in their December mailer. GC also has them listed on their site: Here. That is a pretty big bump in price over what I paid for mine.

That link to GC is for the more expensive Custom. The new Standard is about $2000 less, or about $4999. I don't think GC negotiates too much on the price like other stores. I missed the MF mailer.

• 3 weeks later...
1417959937[/url]' post='1599194']

There is a new JA Standard with a "JASxxx" serial number. Don't know if the original standard is still available or not. My guess is that it is not. Check some out on Wildwood's site. More like the Original JA custom's than the 2008 version of the standard. The first version of the JA standard did not have many made. Don't know exact number but would guess under 200, maybe even under 100 made.

JA's at Wildwood

jas007_f.jpgjas007_bf.jpg

Thanks for the response CR9. I'm a big fan of the more subdued stuff and my 08 standard fits the bill for me. Interesting to hear that there may have only been 200 or less made. Anyone have any idea if Gibson can verify production numbers? Thanks in advance.-Charles

I do not think Gibson will verify numbers. The earlier standard, usually in the Ginger finish, shared the same serial numbers as the high end custom. All of them were JAxxxx. It would be very hard for customer service to separate them without going into the specs for each serial number. The new standard uses the JASxxx serial number so we may be able to figure them out easier. I think there are only 8 of the original Ginger standards on the JA Registry now. I really liked the less flashy look of the previous standards in Ginger.

Archived