Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Express!

Flight959

Hi Gang,

My son has been showing a massive interest in wanting to learn to play guitar. He is only 8yrs old and his interest is very strong. Ive decided the best sort of guitar for him is the Epiphone Les Paul Express. This guitar appears well made and a nice little first electric guitar.

Does anyone own one of these great sounding little guitars?

Any experiences would be great.

Regards and have a great evening.

Flight959

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this model but I reckon you've got to be the greatest dad in the world for wanting to buy him his first electric. If I wasn't so much older I'd ask you to adopt me!

And be careful, this is how Pagey and Clapton started out!

Personally if I were buying a first guitar for somebody who already had a serious interest, I would go with a full-scale guitar. The express is a 22" scale length; quite a bit more noticeable than the difference between a 24-3/4" and a 25-1/2" scale length. I'd say put out a tiny bit extra and pick up the Epiphone Les Paul Special II...it's effectively the same guitar but full-size.

My reasoning is that short-scale guitars are for 2 kinds of people; people who want a travel guitar, and people who don't have the motivation to work through the initial discomfort of playing a full-scale guitar.

If he's motivated, a full-scale guitar will do him much more good in the long run. If he learns on a 22" scale length and then down the road wants to upgrade to a full-sized guitar, the transition could be quite difficult, due to increased string tension, wider fret spacing ect...

Just my opinion...

-Ryan

Archived