Gibson Brands Forums

"Fan" throws a beer at Angus Young

Rabs

When I saw AC/DC, they opened for Aerosmith. When Angus rode Bon's shoulders around the arena, folks in the lodge seats where throwing everything you could name at them.

This was at a time when nobody 'got' AC/DC yet, but to me and all my friends that were there swear AC/DC killed Aerosmith's show.

As a guitarist my first 4 thoughts were:

1) I really hope that beer didn't do any damage to Angus' SG

2) I'd hate to carry on playing after being drenched in beer like that with sticky hands and wet clothes

3) Great band though they are, AC/DC do attract a sizable proportion of meathead fans.

4) I hope the security gave that guy a serious, er, "talking to" when they got him outside.

As a guitarist my first 4 thoughts were:

1) I really hope that beer didn't do any damage to Angus' SG

2) I'd hate to carry on playing after being drenched in beer like that with sticky hands and wet clothes

3) Great band though they are, AC/DC do attract a sizable proportion of meathead fans.

4) I hope the security gave that guy a serious, er, "talking to" when they got him outside.

Spot-on! I have noticed that there are plenty of "instant @$$holes" at such shows...

-just add alcohol!

AC/DC does attract a rather large percentage of pignorant meathead fans! Ones who don't give a rats @$$ about exceptional guitar work and simply want to party and rock and the expense of everyone around them...

Plenty or rock bands attract just such customers, so I suspect it's par for the course...

Reminds me of the scene from Road-House with The Jeff Healey band playing in the cage...

If I recall I saw a similar incident at a Kinks show in '82. I think Ray Davies handled it pretty well too! I think he came out with his own beer and drank it to show the fool what you're supposed to do with a beer...

The crowd went nuts and all was well...

Spot-on! I have noticed that there are plenty of "instant @$$holes" at such shows...

-just add alcohol!

AC/DC does attract a rather large percentage of pignorant meathead fans! Ones who don't give a rats @$$ about exceptional guitar work and simply want to party and rock and the expense of everyone around them...

Plenty or rock bands attract just such customers, so I suspect it's par for the course...

Reminds me of the scene from Road-House with The Jeff Healey band playing in the cage...

If I recall I saw a similar incident at a Kinks show in '82. I think Ray Davies handled it pretty well too! I think he came out with his own beer and drank it to show the fool what you're supposed to do with a beer...

The crowd went nuts and all was well...

Well said Jimi.

Unfortunately it's the nature of heavy rock/metal concerts that a large number of testosterone-fuelled adolescent males are not there for the music or the guitar playing, but to get drunk and behave like idiots.

Almost without exception, any film of a heavy rock concert will feature groups of these guys (and they are mostly male) flashing the devil's horn HM gesture and screaming "rawk and roll" moronically into the camera.

I last saw AC/DC at a football stadium in Perth, Australia and at the end the field was a sea of empty beer cans and plastic beer glasses almost ankle high. Great business for the beer tents, but a pretty bad vibe generally.

I last saw AC/DC at a football stadium in Perth, Australia and at the end the field was a sea of empty beer cans and plastic beer glasses almost ankle high. Great business for the beer tents, but a pretty bad vibe generally.

Subi Oval? The House of Pain? (go the mighty Eagles!).

Personally, I don't care what artist is on stage, how good, or how bad they are for some idiot to throw any thing at them is just more that I could deal with.

The security should have taken them out back and beat the living shi- out of them.

I remember playing at some good ol shi- kicking country bars where they actually did have chicken wire in front of the performers.

We did not get beer or drinks thrown at us directly, but we did get drinks on us from the occasional bar fights.

We knew going in we would not take our good instruments just for that reason.

It was a blast to tell you the truth, but we just backed up on the stage and watched the free for all when it did take place, some nights we would not even stop the song in mid stream, just played right through it.

Archived