Gibson Brands Forums

I miss George

Rabs

Yeah, I miss him too. Bit of an odd bugger with the women, but nevertheless, a beaut bloke.

Came down here many times. [crying]

Nice post Rabs.

Hes just one of those people that even though I didn't know him personally... Every time I see a vid of him I just feel a bit sad...

Hes just one of those people that even though I didn't know him personally... Every time I see a vid of him I just feel a bit sad...

Cheer up mate, it's OK. That little bit of uncertainty you feel is the connection you have with him. Like he had with everyone who ever listened to his music. Feel happy for it. That means a little piece of him is still here, and he's not going to stray too far away. B)

He had quite a resurgence in the 1980's and this one got alot of MTV airplay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGYYDvZnpg

Catchy tune...

I never really got into him and there was a period of animosity between him and Clapton for a short time when Clapton fell for Patti (and later stole her from George and married her) and that's what the album Layla was about, so I think I held some of that animus for myself foolishly and never really got into him...

Neither of them stayed with Patti for very long and eventually it gave them a shared experience that they actually shared in a kind of communion and brought them back together and closer again after that period was all over...

I'm with you Rabs, I miss him also I always felt like I new him. So much that I have two copies of his guitars, his Ric 360/12C 1963 and his Gretsch 6122-1962 country gentleman. Thanks for the great post.

Always loved his slide playing and this often overlooked gem

Fantastic, I'd never seen that before (or even heard it).

His slide was fantastic. Very unique.

Also loved the way he composed songs somewhere between the 7th and 12th frets on an acoustic guitar with a capo. Especially from 69-mid 70's; outstanding George.

The one Beatles song, on their first (American) Album ("Meet The Beatles") that really

reflected my own feelings, at that time was George's "Don't Bother Me!" It was also

the first guitar solo, of the Beatles, that I ever learned "note for note." He was

their other Genius song writer, IMHO. Everything he played, too, was Just Right-Perfect,

for the song. Not too much, not too little! That, in itself is an "art!" [thumbup]

He was a real "Tunesmith," and finely crafted melody maker...as were they all.

That too, showed up in his guitar work, and later "slide" work, as well.

CB

The one Beatles song, on their first (American) Album ("Meet The Beatles") that really

reflected my own feelings, at that time was George's "Don't Bother Me!" It was also

the first guitar solo, of the Beatles, that I ever learned "note for note." He was

their other Genius song writer, IMHO. Everything he played, too, was Just Right-Perfect,

for the song. Not too much, not too little! That, in itself is an "art!" [thumbup]

He was a real "Tunesmith," and finely crafted melody maker...as were they all.

That too, showed up in his guitar work, and later "slide" work, as well.

CB

+ Absolutely right!

Always loved his slide playing and this often overlooked gem

In my mind only a few players really have a slide voice that stands out. George Harrison is one of them. His slide playing is as instantly recognizable as his singing. No easy feat... and one which deserves recognition. [thumbup]

In my mind only a few players really have a slide voice that stands out. George Harrison is one of them. His slide playing is as instantly recognizable as his singing. No easy feat... and one which deserves recognition. [thumbup]

Agreed. His son Dhani is on record as saying that George never really got the recognition he deserved for his slide playing. I read somewhere that George had said he'd spent so much time trying to be a mediocre sitar player, that all the other guitarists had advanced and he need to "reinvent" himself, if you will, hence his slide technique. I think it's quite noticeable that he seems to utilize full chords and double stops instead of single notes for the most part. A most recognizable style IMHO. Then again, he always was a very complex guitar player, wasn't he?

Archived