Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird spelt hummungbird - fake Gibson?

beforenightfalls

Hi I live in Australia and today a beautiful hummingbird has appeared for sale online the other side of the country from me. It is a 2005 model and all looks good but on the soundhole label it says hummungbird. Would Gibson sell a hummingbird in 2005 with a typo like this? What do you reckon? Thanks. post-63297-016731600 1417443594_thumb.jpgpost-63297-065740900 1417443576_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have one orange-label Bozeman Gibson, from 2007. There are several significant differences in the label in mine, compared to this one. Mine says "Gibson Acoustic" rather than "Gibson Inc", and "Bozeman Montana USA" is on one line, rather than split onto two lines as it is on this label.

The picture of the guitar itself is not good enough for me to tell much about it, but others here may chime in on both the label and the guitar.

As far as the "Hummungbird" typo goes, that instantly sends my antennae up, but we've all seen labels with errors before.

You could have Gibson confirm the seriel#, have them make you a new label. Fix whatever is wrong with the guitar.

But it won't change the fact it isn't a Gibson, and there is someone trying to steal or rob someone else here in this situation.

No one here can fix what makes that guy so screwed up. And ripping someone off sure won't fix it. Nor can money.

Just to clarify, this is NOT a Gibson. And I ain't gonna say why either, except to say I can tell from the pics it isn't.

I don't know, but the guitar looks legit as far as the pic allows judgement.

And if someone fakes a logo, would't he just make another, correct one when he makes a typo?

even the case and the humidifier look "period correct" to me

as the others suggested call, or since your in australia mail customer service!

Good luck and the Bird is a great guitar

I only have one orange-label Bozeman Gibson, from 2007. There are several significant differences in the label in mine, compared to this one. Mine says "Gibson Acoustic" rather than "Gibson Inc", and "Bozeman Montana USA" is on one line, rather than split onto two lines as it is on this label.

I went and looked and the label on the HB does match one that a forum member posted for a 2005 Nick Lucas a while back.

As for the Hummingburd thing seems to me there was a thread just posted about a label that read "1960'2" instead of "1960's" on a label.

I don't know, but the guitar looks legit as far as the pic allows judgement.

It "looks" legit in many ways because they make the fakes to look legit, especially in pics.

But I can assure you, I can see in the pics that it ISN'T a genuine Gibson. So, I think, could many others.

Just saying: Fakes like this are made to fool poeple. Don't feel bad if you can't see that it is, or I am saying I know more than you because I can identify this as a fake. Just means I can spot some of the clues.

Trust me: it's a fake. There is evidence in the pics.

In all respect - where do you see signs of fake. From this angle everything 'xept the label-spelling looks like a Bozeman release.

But yes, I could be mistaken.

Now that's just downright scary.

On a cold nite like this - and just after a full-band session, I'm willing to take the chance. . .

Thanks everyone for your replys. I will be giving this guitar a miss. It has a price tag of $2000 so a lot of money for a guitar that may not be genuine. It's concerning to realise there are fakes out there, I think I'll have to save up a bit more and buy one new from an authorised retailer.

It "looks" legit in many ways because they make the fakes to look legit, especially in pics.

But I can assure you, I can see in the pics that it ISN'T a genuine Gibson. So, I think, could many others.

Just saying: Fakes like this are made to fool poeple. Don't feel bad if you can't see that it is, or I am saying I know more than you because I can identify this as a fake. Just means I can spot some of the clues.

why wouldn't you share your reasons for this being a fake?

seems a strange thing to want to keep to yourself . ....

surely the more people know how to spot them the better?

2vumtlw.jpg

The only obvious difference I see--and granted, the one picture is so bad that it's hard to judge many things--is the pickguard. Is the guitar on the right a TV? Don't they have a better pickguard than the standard one?

If this is a fake, the burst is much better than they usually are.

I would really like to see a clear photo of the one the OP was interested in. Stein obviously has insights that escape most of us.

The only obvious difference I see--and granted, the one picture is so bad that it's hard to judge many things--is the pickguard. Is the guitar on the right a TV? Don't they have a better pickguard than the standard one?

If this is a fake, the burst is much better than they usually are.

I would really like to see a clear photo of the one the OP was interested in. Stein obviously has insights that escape most of us.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/broadbeach-waters/miscellaneous-goods/gibson-hummingbird-acoustic-guitar/1063620696

I hope that this link works - it is the original listing.

thanks.

Archived