Gibson Brands Forums

What's your live setup?

ServantOfGod

I co-host an open mic at a venue that has a really good PA and a sound guy who runs XLR cables to the stage from a mixer at the back of the house. I use a J-45/K&K through a Red-Eye pre-amp/DI with a chorus effect in the effects loop. Covers the basics without a lot of fuss. You'll get lots of good advice to your question here.

I co-host an open mic at a venue that has a really good PA and a sound guy who runs XLR cables to the stage from a mixer at the back of the house. I use a J-45/K&K through a Red-Eye pre-amp/DI with a chorus effect in the effects loop. Covers the basics without a lot of fuss. You'll get lots of good advice to your question here.

Thanks! I use the L.R Baggs Venue and was using the POD X3 in the effects loop (only for the volume pedal) but signas was colored. I want to avoid that POD X3 but need some options.

We mostly play acoustic music (Bluegrass) -- we never plug in. Then it would not be acoustic music [biggrin] .

Bluegrass stages generally use multiple point mics (8-12) with monitors or one (or a small number) of large diaphragm condenser mics with no monitors. Typical close action stage mics would be SM58s for voice and SM57s for instruments. The most popular "workhorse" condenser mic is probably the AT4077.

Let's pick,

-Tom

J-45 LR Baggs Lyric, plugged straight into PA, or my Fishman 220 Solo-Amp. No pedals, effects or loops. Soon I hope to install a Trance Audio Mono (Amulet System) in my J-45 Legend, and that will run straight into my 220, or house PA. I try to keep things simple - trouble enough trying to remember lyrics, picking patterns, tempo and banter.

Plugged in I play in clubs with my grup. I use one of my four acoustic guitars equipped with K&K Triniti Mini System - my J200, my J35, my Guild D55 or my Luthier Custom replica of Martin 00028 Cedar/Rosewood - each one of these instruments is a killer guitar (especially the last one!!!). The signal goes from the preamp of the Triniti to a DI Box and in the Mixer of te club. The man on the mixer takes care of my sound.

For me the K&K Triniti Mini System is the perfect acoustic guitar sound system for live on stage performances.

Well, you start with a Gibson.

Install a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup.

Run it through an Aura Spectrum DI.

Add on a Zoom G3 multi effects pedal for some reverb, delay, chorus, volume boost.

Sometimes add a Jammam Looper.

And then thawt usually goes into a Yamaha Stagepass PA.

Here's a pic from one of the shows.

1480494_610970815664016_1586048187_n.jpg?oh=563783aafb90c777c36405bc70cdef8d&oe=550759E0&__gda__=1423207526_106ab44b015244e69f83ea7705e744b7

And a video with this set up from a gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h04OojzwOg&index=5&list=UUKtgHPiM5z1Dk4e5v2qsOJw

Well, you start with a Gibson.

Install a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup.

Run it through an Aura Spectrum DI.

Add on a Zoom G3 multi effects pedal for some reverb, delay, chorus, volume boost.

Sometimes add a Jammam Looper.

And then thawt usually goes into a Yamaha Stagepass PA.

Here's a pic from one of the shows.

1480494_610970815664016_1586048187_n.jpg?oh=563783aafb90c777c36405bc70cdef8d&oe=550759E0&__gda__=1423207526_106ab44b015244e69f83ea7705e744b7

And a video with this set up from a gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h04OojzwOg&index=5&list=UUKtgHPiM5z1Dk4e5v2qsOJw

That sounds really nice! thanks for sharing!

POWER

GigRac (by Soundcraft) 1000w portable stereo 8-ch powered mixer with 7-band EQs and 12-segment bar graphs for mains and monitors, phantom power, amazing sounding selection of 10 effects, 3-band EQ on all channels. So portable, I can carry it over my shoulder. Incredible powered mixer.

SPEAKERS

Mains: 2 JBL MR825 (2-way cabinets with 15" and horn w/3 position switch to change horn attenuation)

Monitors: 2 Mackie C200 10" cabinets

I also have a set of lightweight Peavey PR12 12" cabinets for smaller gigs and times when I don't feel like lugging the JBLs.

MICROPHONES

Vocals: Audix OM7, Sennheiser e945, Heil PR22 (depends on the room)

Guitar: Heil PR22 (very articulate mic)

GUITAR PICKUPS

K&K Mini

OTHER STUFF

K&K external preamps

CBI Performer Series Direct Boxes with ground lift

Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner

My Irish band uses this setup for many gigs, but for larger rooms/concerts, we have a more powerful 1600w 16-ch system

DC

I play mostly at Church now a days and just go thru a radial DI to the FOH via mixer a Spirit Fx16 . When we play out its thru a Bose L1 with a B2 and tonematch and that has effects reverb and chorus ,before the Bose I used a SA220 solo. If I use peddles it's the Fishman AFX line a delay,chorus, reverb used those with the Solo but don't need them with the Bose as the tonematch has great presets and effects on board .

Forgot,to mention my PU in my guitars ...3 have the Trance Audio amulet J45, J45 Custom ,Cheryl Crow SJ and one J45 has the Fishman Aura pro and one Fishman matrix in my SJ200.

ok, guitars with either K&K pure mini OR LR Baggs Element

into

BBE Sonic Stomp (effective 2 way EQ, to adjust to the room or stage)

into Small PA

1990s Mackie mixer, Alesis Miniverb, 1980´s PA Amp (very heavy) and 2 vintage E-Voice 200W speakers. That´s all I (we) use.

The other half of our vocal/guitar Duo has a Collings OM with a state of the art Mic-Pickup.

Those EV speakers deliver a very nice, natural sound.

Sometimes I don´t use the guitars´ pickups, but a spare vocal mic. I sing through newer (mexico-made) Shure SM57s or a newer Beyer M88, depending on the room. The Beyer has more bass, but SM57s are my favourite vocal mics. I know they are not primarily meant to be vocal mics, but I love them. I choose from 2 SM57s, with different wiring and slightly different logos, they also sound a bit different. The one I don´t use for vocals is spare for guitar.

I have an old, beat-up US-made SM57 unidyne as well. To my ears, a well positioned 57 can pick up an acoustic guitar very well, usually no EQ needed.

Thank you for sharing! After watching some videos of Company of thieves I am seriously considering using a mic infront of the guitar. I have a SM57, Sennheiser e609, Audio Technica AT4050, and 4047..I refused to do so because it is not very common and because I move when I sing a little. But not so much. If you watched the video of EuroAussie (very good!) I do not move more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

When just using mics, I go with an SM-81. Plugged in, it's my H&D CM with its K&K pure mini pickup through a little K&K preamp right into a Mackie 808M mixer. For quite a while, I used the H&D straight into a Crate Gunnison, which went through the Mackie. I like the idea of carrying as little gear as possible, so the Crate has been just sitting. I'm hanging on to it, though, because I may use it for gigs in small rooms where I can plug a vocal mic in it.

I hate the pickup in my L-00 Pro, so I never plug that in. The E and B strings have very little volume and way too many annoying echoing overtones. One day I will have that baggs element ripped out and replaced with a K&K.

I have an active iBeam in my D-28 and was using that with the baggs ParaDI. Unfortunately, I accidently fried the ParaDI. It was too complicated to get a good tone at high volume anyway. The D-28 will also get a K&K one day.

Archived