Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolene

What amp to buy for Gibson J-35

Hi everyone

I have the J-35, and am planning to buy an amp... but looking at how many brands etc.. I just feel confused

I live in a townhouse... so it can't be too loud... but i want clarity, effects like reverb...and chorus...

Would a 65 watt be too loud? :blink:

Please advise!!!

Thanks!!

Nicolene... a 65 watt amp is what I use for playing clubs and outdoor concerts. Thats pretty powerful for an apartment, and very heavy. There are much smaller less expensive amps available that will give you a good sound. Most only have reverb as a standard option. Fender however, does makes an amp that has a lot of built in effects and is low watt. Look into them at your local music store. I hope this helps.

This is a good small amp and it has many effects and is lots of fun to jam with

Fender G Deck 15 amp is plenty loud for a " home" amp. Comes in a 30 amp also check out your local Crags list.

I'm with EuroAussie. I own a Marshall AS100D and it is a big, full featured amp. Way more than you need for an apartment BUT it will be all that you will ever need in an acoustic amp and will fulfill needs (like singing through a microphone and various other options)down the road that you might encounter. It doesn't do half bad as an amp for a Telecaster too. One of my bandmates will sometimes play his Epiphone Dot through it and it handles that well. If the AS50D is as good you could save some bread going that way too. I don't have any experience with that model but if it has the same Marshall quality as my 100 you'd be well served. Prior to scoring my Marshall I got a Behringer Ultracoustic ACX900 which I still have and use and it is a lot of amp for the money and has been durable and dependable for over ten years for me.

Great answers so far. For me, the Fishman Loudbox Mini is the perfect apartment practice amp. I plug in my acoustic and a Shure mic and practice away. It is very portable and has the perfect basic feature set... a guitar channel w/ reverb and chorus, and a mic channel with reverb. Fishman has some larger amps in the series as well that get great reviews.

http://www.fishman.com/product/loudbox-mini

I have an older Fender Acoustasonic 30 (30 watts) with built-in chorus and reverb. All I use it for is to plug in at home and its more than loud enough for my den. In reality I hardly ever use it. I have 2 guitars that I have tried it with - a 14 year old Taylor and a 1 year old Gibson J-165. The Gibson has a new Fishman Aura pickup and sounds great - just like it sounds unamped, but louder. The Taylor has a much older Fishman pickup and sounds awful through the amp - very artificial, lots of feedback issues - and its a great sounding guitar unamped. My points are:

1)65 watts is way more than you need for a home

2)Try your guitar with any amp you are thinking of buying before you buy it. Bring your guitar in and see how much you like the sound before you pick one.

Just my suggestion but I have a Fishman Loudbox 100 and never really cared for the sound. UNTIL I recently got an LR Baggs Para DI.....Now I can't believe how good it sounds. Set the amp to neutral and use the DI box to get the sound I want. Can't recommend a good DI box enough.

Hi everyone

I have the J-35, and am planning to buy an amp... but looking at how many brands etc.. I just feel confused

I live in a townhouse... so it can't be too loud... but i want clarity, effects like reverb...and chorus...

Would a 65 watt be too loud? :blink:

Please advise!!!

Thanks!!

Thank you everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amps, like guitars, have a different texture and sound. What works for me or ..., may not be your preference. I agree that 65 watts is far more than your indicated needs. Take your guitar to a store with amp choices and plug in. Find one in your budget and that sounds the way you want, and buy it. Remember also that pulling a particular sound from your guitar/amp combo can take extensive trial and practice to get it just where you want it. It's rarely a matter of plugging in and viola.

Ultrasound DS-4. It has 50 watts, not heavy and fantastic controls. Channel one is fantastic for a vocal mic. It got the Gold Player's Choice award in acoustic Guitar magazine Readers Choice Awards.

I can't say enough about the Marshall AS-50D either. However, I purchased a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb ReIssue last year to play my electric through. A 22 watt amp with delicious reverb! At one gig, I plugged my SJ into it for a song and was blown away by the sound. The amp did not "color" my guitar's tone at all. Just pure acoustic sound! This works very well for me, since I play acoustic and electric on some gigs. On the purely acoustic gigs, I bring the Marshall. Two great amps, just pick the one that serves your sound best!!!

I too have the Fishman Loudbox 100 and love it with my K&K pups with my Martins and my Taylor nylon string. Also like it for a small venue with my Joe Pass Epi. However, I use it to get a louder pure "acoustic" sound and for a low key jazz sound from my Epi. I love the mic channel. Couldn't really recommend it for great reverb but it does the job. B)

Thanks a lot, I bought the Marshall AS100D, best ever!!

You wiill probably get many answers but i would urge you to consider Marshall AS 50 or 100D

While you look at amps, you might want to consider pickups too….I have the Trance Audio mono pickup on one of my guitars, and it is one of the best I've heard (and no under saddle which I like). Apparently they have a "kit" that allows for owner installation. For amps, I have a small acoustic amp by Ibanez called a Troubadour…15 watts I think. Dual input for guitar and mic with the sound features you are looking for. Good sound/low cost. I also have an AER 60 watt that is really a pro amp, can be used if you play out…..good luck in the hunt!