Gibson Brands Forums

Finally made right...

Brytam

I bought a 2012 Les Paul Classic Custom last year. I posted it on this forum after I got it as I was so excited. I love this guitar! Always wanted one and finally got it, though I realized It did have an issue. The 1st string (high E) was so close to the edge of the neck that whenever I played an open D chord, the string would slip off the fret & off the neck. I noticed the nut was cut really close to the end for the 1st string so that it pulled the string close to the edge of the fretboard. I also noticed the frets did not go all the way to the end of the fretboard (by design), as they have an angle down at the ends & then the nibs. I had managed to work around this issue but then thought a guitar like this should play without any issues at all. Well, to correct the issue I opted to do a complete refret using jumbo frets whereby the frets go all the way to the very edge of the neck (losing the nibs). Also replaced the oddly cut nut for a bone nut cut correctly, darkened the baked maple fretboard (using black leather dye as was suggested on this forum) plus had a complete setup done. I hated to do a refret on a practically new guitar, but I wanted it right.

I got a great price from a well known luthier in our state that has done work for me for decades. I had lost contact with him for awhile but we connected again. I picked up the guitar today (along with a Ric 620 he did some work on). I hesitated to do the work on the Les Paul, but now this guitar really does play like I always hoped it would.

9cce5ca5-83dc-4f47-80e7-2c2cc2897d55.jpgf0d6c2e4-4a2a-486d-8fa5-75fb573c6f35.jpgdf1191ce-316a-4409-86e9-54facfb471fb.jpg

Classy instrument you have there sir.

I had same issue on a guitar with a new nut a couple of years back. I got the nut shifted the tiniest degree to the bass side and problem solved. Its a game of '000's of an inch some times. Glad its perfect now for you. [thumbup]

Archived