Gibson Brands Forums

Toggle Switch Issues

NewbeinOC

I have a 2006 LP Studio...The issue is that when I switch the toggle to the Bridge Pick up the Volume knob will not work...I cannot adjust the level at all, it acts as if it is bypassed to full on....I checked the connections at the knobs and switch and they seem fine and unaltered....this only happens when the switch is on the bridge position....

this seems intermittent as well...Sometimes the knob workes fine then after a short while it will stop working...Sorta tells me its a short....I was checking some earlier posts and the issue of grounding came up...I also wonder if this is my problem or if its a seperate issue since I get some Humm if my hand is off the stings too...

Any Ideas????

It sounds to me like maybe the wires from the volume pot might be touching together - sometimes - and bypassing the pot. I'm no wiring genius, so take that with a grain of salt but it might be a simple matter of just taking the control plate off the back and pushing some wires away from each other.

Update on the Toggle Switch...I took the Guitar to a Luthier...The Toggle switch is fine but, The Volume control was malfunctioning because of a "cold solder" on the pot itself, so it wasn't grounding properly...He resoldered and it is working again...He spotted it pretty quick since the solder had a dull finish...A good solder should be shiny...

I still have the bridge grounding problem though...But thats for another tread...

Cool, man. Glad you got it worked out.

Thank you for the update! Often times people come here, ask a question, get advice and we never hear from them again to know if the advice worked or was worth it so it's nice to find out what the results are. :)

Archived