Gibson Brands Forums

String heigth on a les paul

slk

Ok I know I have seen this info before, but will ask again. What should the string height be like on the 12th-14th fret??? On my new Les Paul the bridge is much higher on the low E side than the high E side. Shouldn't they both be about the same so that the height from the bottom of the string to the fret is the same low and high E.

Steve

Ok I know I have seen this info before, but will ask again. What should the string height be like on the 12th-14th fret??? On my new Les Paul the bridge is much higher on the low E side than the high E side. Shouldn't they both be about the same so that the height from the bottom of the string to the fret is the same low and high E.

Steve

The 12th fret spec is 3/64 on the high E side and 5/64 on the low.: http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Tech-Tips/Basic-Guitar-Setup.aspx

the post above is correct for Gibson factory specs. Epiphone sets them a little higher at 4/64 on the high and 6/64 on the low. I would start at the Gibson spec and go either way that's more comfortable for you. I personally like mine at 5/3

Archived