Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SGJ vs 2015 SG Special. Which to buy?

gibsoncanuck

I'm trying to narrow it down between two guitars (2013 sgj or 2015 sg special) but I'm hoping for input from those who own either or both. I'm wading into SGs for the first time, coming from les paul standards and fenders.

I'm looking at buying either a new 2013 SGJ for a steal of deal at just over $400 vs. dropping about $1k on a 2015 SG special. The cost savings on the SGJ is obviously a huge factor that is drawing me to the SGJ, however I'm concerned about the playability of the neck on the SGJ (50s profile) vs. the 60s profile on the 2015 SG special. I have both a 2008 les paul and a 2012, and admit I do prefer the slimmer neck of the 2012 vs. the 2008, but realize a Les Paul is not an SG

Thoughts on the PUPs differences between the two models? Necks, build quality etc? Don't really care about the G force, so that will not be the ultimate deciding factor.

While I realize buying a guitar is a personal choice, and that I have to obviously play them both, any input on your experience with either axes would be helpful.

Thanks

I'm trying to narrow it down between two guitars (2013 sgj or 2015 sg special) but I'm hoping for input from those who own either or both. I'm wading into SGs for the first time, coming from les paul standards and fenders.

I'm looking at buying either a new 2013 SGJ for a steal of deal at just over $400 vs. dropping about $1k on a 2015 SG special. The cost savings on the SGJ is obviously a huge factor that is drawing me to the SGJ, however I'm concerned about the playability of the neck on the SGJ (50s profile) vs. the 60s profile on the 2015 SG special. I have both a 2008 les paul and a 2012, and admit I do prefer the slimmer neck of the 2012 vs. the 2008, but realize a Les Paul is not an SG

Thoughts on the PUPs differences between the two models? Necks, build quality etc? Don't really care about the G force, so that will not be the ultimate deciding factor.

While I realize buying a guitar is a personal choice, and that I have to obviously play them both, any input on your experience with either axes would be helpful.

Thanks

Neither. Get a pre 2009 model SG Special. You can find them on Guitar Centers used gear. They sound great. They are all Mahogany as opposed to the new models that have an oak neck. They typically have a pickguard on them already. I have 08 SG Special as well as a 2013 SGJ. The 2013 is nice. But the 08 is so much better.

I have the 2015 Special and although I made many changes (mostly cosmetic), I feel that the neck is really not that fat and the fret job and action is one of the best I have seen on a guitar that is about $1000. IMHO...the brass ZeroFret nut is an excelent idea. Especially in areas where the temperatures change with every season and the guitar needs frequent adjustments. My biggest complaint would be the G-Force tuners. They are never perfectltly in tune and setting intonation is extra work. Yes you can manually tune with G-Force but its just not what I am used to. All said, I am really enjoying the 2015 Special. The '61 Zebra pickups sound great.

post-54892-051539400 1418409658_thumb.jpg

I have the 2015 Special and although I made many changes (mostly cosmetic), I feel that the neck is really not that fat and the fret job and action is one of the best I have seen on a guitar that is about $1000. IMHO...the brass ZeroFret nut is an excelent idea. Especially in areas where the temperatures change with every season and the guitar needs frequent adjustments. My biggest complaint would be the G-Force tuners. They are never perfectltly in tune and setting intonation is extra work. Yes you can manually tune with G-Force but its just not what I am used to. All said, I am really enjoying the 2015 Special. The '61 Zebra pickups sound great.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I wan't to buy a nice SG to, saw the SGJ but i already own an LPJ with the same neck profile. Would never buy a 15 model. And then I saw this:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-70s-Tribute.aspx

If I buy one I think it will be this, and it only needs a pickguard and some other knobs to look great.

Archived