Gibson Brands Forums

Getting rid of microphonic sound of my K&K Pickups

mking

I have the K&K pickups in my J-45 TV and I am running it through an Allen & Heath mixer into my Bose system. When I play, especially finger style or tap on the strings it sounds like I am tapping on a hot mic. Of course it is louder as I tap closer to the bridge and on the bridge. I even tried putting my Baggs Venue DI between the guitar and mixer. Any help on how to get rid of this thumping overtone would be appreciated.

I did try manipulating the EQ and it helps, especially if I turn the gain down but then I'm losing power of the pickup. It is like the K&K pups turn into a microphone. But EQ does help. Any EQ suggestions are welcome. By the way, if I put the guitar straight into my UltraSound acoustic amp, I don't have an issue.

The K&K are microphonic, that is what they are designed to do. Setting the gain level just below clipping is the norm in sound. Higher gain will also mean greater sensitivity and therefore more of the guitar being picked up. I would try to lower the gain a bit and use more volume at the end of the chain. This with a little EQ'ing will help get rid of the problem.

J

Jeremy, If I have the Baggs Venue DI between the mixer and Bose, which gain knob should I look to turning down? You said increase the volume at the end of the chain, I assume that would be the mixer volume control. Thanks much

Jeremy, If I have the Baggs Venue DI between the mixer and Bose, which gain knob should I look to turning down? You said increase the volume at the end of the chain, I assume that would be the mixer volume control. Thanks much

That is correct. you do not want your gain to high at the Venue. EQ the lows out a little and that should help. The only problem with that is you will loose warmth. The best way to get rid of the thumping would to not bounce your hand on the bridge, all bridge plate transducers will respond with a thump when hit on top of the saddle.

J

Archived