Gibson Brands Forums

So What's The Plan For Guitar Playing Over Xmas/New Year?

BluesKing777

What does everyone else do over Xmas/New Year?

Gigs?

Leave it in the case and make merry?

One thing I miss about being in a band is the gigs at this time of year here - summer, Xmas and especially New Years Eve - were kicking full on sometimes! [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I will have to take a different approach next year - is that a New Years Resolution? (or in the words of Son Jackson - a 'New Years Revolution'). :-s

BluesKing777.

I may do an open mic with my buddy...

But even more fun (and more nerve-wracking for me), is what we are doing just after the New Year. My daughter's school has a fundraiser night called Broadway Under the Stars. Kids in the high school will independently come up with 20 different theater related numbers. For example... a few years back my son Billy performed Sherry with a few friends:

Anyways my friend Sarge, is MC-ing the event this year, and he is opening up with me - Cant Take My Eyes Off of You. We'll have a few kids with horns, and the high school chorus backing us as well.

Anyways should be fun.... and the kids will outshine the old geezers for sure.

High season in a ski resort town so it's work for me right up through Christmas Eve. But Christmas day is off so I'll wake up and fix a big cup of Sumatran and then grab up a guitar while the coffee is taking hold and pick some and maybe work on a kind of gypsy jazz song, with words no less, that is trying to be birthed. Mellow day all in all is what I'm looking forward to. New Year's is even more mellow as I personally mark another year going by...and they go by ever quickly now. I try and spend New Years in a more contemplative state as I've grown older.

My daughter is putting together a bunch of music for ourChristmas Eve service. It's pretty bad when I have to ask her if I'm goodenough to play!! But she is a better musician than I am. I'll probably play acouple of arrangements backing her on flute, or my one of my other daughters on the cello. All of my kids play piano and at least one other instrument.

chasAK

The November/December holiday season has been very busy (musically) for me. It started off on the road with a jazz big band for a Veteran's Day concert backing an Andrew Sisters tribute act, and will end on NYE with a big Blues Band concert.

The season has included:

A Big Band Andrew Sisters concert.

Two Big Band ballroom dances.

Two solo guitar gigs.

One Jazz Quartet performance.

An Acoustic Rock duet set.

A Big Band Christmas show.

A Pit Orchestra job for a Christmas Cantata (backing a 30 piece choir).

Plus 8 rehearsals for the above (7 of them paid).

All to be capped off by the annual NYE concert of my Blues Band at the big "First Night" celebration in downtown St. Louis.

... not to mention the regular civilian holiday family stuff. Whew, I'm tired.

After New Years I have seven days off, and it starts all over again.

Family Xmas day with siblings and grown up offspring. We always have some guitar playing and singing once sufficient neck oil has been consumed.A few can play.

Last year I had my uke for the first time.This year I have two folders of 50 uke songs (so be thankful most of you are a good hemisphere away) [biggrin].

My daughter's school has a fundraiser night called Broadway Under the Stars. Kids in the high school will independently come up with 20 different theater related numbers.

Those student concerts are always so much fun. The audience is sympathetic. One or two numbers become legendary.

I'll be playing the crap out of my newly restored '31 L0 12 fretter. The reset neck went back on today and by Tues or Wed it will be setup and 700 some dollars and 4 months later it'll be back in my grubby little paws. Everyone down at my little music shop is excited to hear it's new voice, as Dan the luthier peeled the superglued cobbed-in carpentry trim from the top and replaced it with featherlight spruce bracing which he claims to have fine tuned to max out the top response. He took the belly out of the top and slid a new piece of bone onto the orig BRW bridge. Magic and physics hand in hand. I'm hoping he has pics I can take away.

Found some 30's era Klusons on FeeBay that I'll slap on at the first string change. Add $150.

Like the devoted atheist I am, I'll once again be completely ignoring the holiday, but it seems as though I'll still be getting a gift. If you don't count the 700 bucks.

Have a good year, y'all.

I'll be playing the crap out of my newly restored '31 L0 12 fretter. The reset neck went back on today and by Tues or Wed it will be setup and 700 some dollars and 4 months later it'll be back in my grubby little paws. Everyone down at my little music shop is excited to hear it's new voice, as Dan the luthier peeled the superglued cobbed-in carpentry trim from the top and replaced it with featherlight spruce bracing which he claims to have fine tuned to max out the top response. He took the belly out of the top and slid a new piece of bone onto the orig BRW bridge. Magic and physics hand in hand. I'm hoping he has pics I can take away.

Found some 30's era Klusons on FeeBay that I'll slap on at the first string change. Add $150.

Like the devoted atheist I am, I'll once again be completely ignoring the holiday, but it seems as though I'll still be getting a gift. If you don't count the 700 bucks.

Have a good year, y'all.

Congratulations on the new/old Gibson to come soon!

BluesKing777.

Archived