Gibson Brands Forums

Hooky - Midday trip to Russo's in Asbury Park

MorrisrownSal

Mental health medicine = midday trip to Russo's, a fantastic Gibson, Taylor, Takamine, Fender, Epiphone dealer... among others.

I was looking for interesting things to play, and as usual always drifted back to the Gibby's. They had a J45 standard that came in 2 weeks ago that sounds awesome. I like it better than the J45TV they have there. They also have this Hummingbird Standard:

bird_zps7f6bef29.jpg

The Bird is more brown than this picture lets on. It really looks Honeyburst. And I am wicked in love. There is no way I could swing it, and I have been thinking of creative ways to do just that. If any of you are in the market for a Bird or a Bird TV.... this one is awesome. I want it. I can't have it. Go buy it.

They also got this 1931 Century of Progress in. The finish is a tad rough, and it needs a neckset soon I think. The actions is not high though. It is low, and the guitar sounds dry and throaty. I know these are hard to come by, so I figured I'd snap a pic and put it up here for those that like old wood.

century_zps4208964b.jpg

I assume that can't be the same Hummingbird Standard that I played there this past summer. So, there's hope that Russo's just gets in the best Hummingbirds known to man. Because I, too, struggled with myself over it. It took the responsible angel on my shoulder to finally pull me away. The Hummingbird I played proved to me once and for all that one MUST not buy a Bird online, but find the one that speaks to them. Because that Russo's Hummingbird was a thousand times better than the 2007 model I bought online. And better than many models I've tried elsewhere. Russo's is an impressive shop. (I've also bought online from them -- small things -- and I've gotten them within 2 days. No nonsense. They want to be the best.)

What was the ask on that old Century of Progress? I got an email about it, but didn't feel right about calling and annoying them just to find out. No chance I can afford it.

When I was there Scott wasn't sure he wanted to sell the Century but when asked I think the number that came out was 5K, which is not out of line with what other dealers are asking. This one will need some work as Sal mentioned but it is playable and sounds good. It is Maple, not mahogany. Were they all maple, I'm not sure?

Rich

There are times when I wish money was no object. This is one of those times. To be able to afford it and to repair it would be fantastic, but, alas, money is an object here and I'm still not ready to purchase the Hummingbird that impressed me so. I consider myself lucky enough to afford the ones I do own, which was no small feat.

Mental health medicine = midday trip to Russo's, a fantastic Gibson, Taylor, Takamine, Fender, Epiphone dealer... among others.

I was looking for interesting things to play, and as usual always drifted back to the Gibby's. They had a J45 standard that came in 2 weeks ago that sounds awesome. I like it better than the J45TV they have there. They also have this Hummingbird Standard:

bird_zps7f6bef29.jpg

The Bird is more brown than this picture lets on. It really looks Honeyburst. And I am wicked in love. There is no way I could swing it, and I have been thinking of creative ways to do just that. If any of you are in the market for a Bird or a Bird TV.... this one is awesome. I want it. I can't have it. Go buy it.

They also got this 1931 Century of Progress in. The finish is a tad rough, and it needs a neckset soon I think. The actions is not high though. It is low, and the guitar sounds dry and throaty. I know these are hard to come by, so I figured I'd snap a pic and put it up here for those that like old wood.

century_zps4208964b.jpg

Sal,

You killed with that old century !!!

Drooling !

JC

Archived