Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbuilt DR-500 MCE vs. Dave Navaro "Jane"

Shadowboxer

Thanks Cougar, That is what I was thinking as well. I'll let it sit overnight and see how it looks tomorrow. These thick strings sound awesome, but their eating my fingers up. Think I'll practice with something else for the rest of the evening. Something easy like a strat or les paul with 9-42s. LOL [thumbup]

I bought the same guitar from Sweetwater a few weeks ago, went to the store and tried it out. Brought it home knowing the action was a little higher than I wanted, but it was a weekend, and their set up people weren't in. I gave it a few days at home to try to get used to it, but it still needed tweaking. The neck was perfectly straight. I took it to a local GC ( Yeah, I know how many people feel about them, but the guitar tech here is really good ), and he trimmed the saddle for me and changed the strings. Made a world of difference in the playability on the mid to upper frets, and no buzz anywhere when playing.

I tweaked my truss rod to where the neck is bang on straight, shaved about 1/32 off the saddle and changed the strings to a light gauge 12-53. action is slightly lower than specs and what a dream player my fingers never get tired or sore. With the right set up it is an amazing instrument

I see no change after letting it breath overnight. I have a set of coated D'Addario 12-53s. Are they lighter than stock strings? Hope so. If they are lighter gauge, they will probably sit a little lower in the nut. I will check on youtube on how to shave the bridge as well and see how it goes (or should I buy a pre-made lower bridge?). Right now its just too hard to play anything other than open chords. Still sounds awesome though. (Went though half of my old Beatles book last night.) [biggrin]

I have a set of coated D'Addario 12-53s. Are they lighter than stock strings?

I'm not sure what they come with stock. I expect they come with 12s. But a new set of 12-53s should make that baby boom. I put some lighter strings on my acoustic-only EF500MNS, 10s I think, and I've decided it basically castrated the guitar (even though she's female). I'm going to put 12s back on her even though that makes for a little harder action and it's harder to bend notes. If you're playing plugged in, lighter strings aren't going to matter that much.

Whenever I get a new/new to me instrument, I have it professionally set-up for the way I play. It may need the saddle lowered slightly. There have been two times during the the past few years that my DR500MCE needed a slight truss rod adjustment. Just turn it a quarter turn clockwise(using the truss rod they provide) at a time and give it a feel. I finger pick exclusively so for me fret buzz is pretty much a non-factor. If it is too much... turn it back slightly (it will go back). I've gotten comfortable with doing it myself with my Epiphones.

This is not a reflection on Epiphone...my new Martin $3300 000-18GE 1937 needed tweaking and a slight neck rod adjustment by my professional. Just go slow... the first time can be a little challenging....try it..and go again if need be (you really can feel the difference) leave the truss cover off for a few days (don't lose the screws) till you're sure it's where you want it. If I can do it anyone can.

Oh and keep it humidified...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up. I removed the saddle, penciled a line on the bottom and then slowly sanded on a block on flat wood. I put a set of D'Addario's 12-53s (EXP16) on and the neck is easier to play now. Did not seem to lose any volume or tone. Sounds so good it chokes me up sometimes. I can't believe I put off getting back into music for so long, but that is what you have to do to pay the bills, go to school, succeed in your profession, take care of your family etc. Now I am making time for me to due the things I enjoy. I started Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar in March 2014 and have made it through session 18 of 20 so far. This DR-500 MCE sounds so good on the jazz chords, however it really brought back memories of the 70's when I played through an old "America COMPLETE" songbook. Pulling out my old Cat Stevens book next. LOL Thanks for all you advice guys. Happy Trails (Oh no, now that song is going to stick in my head all day!) [thumbup]

Just a quick follow up. I removed the saddle, penciled a line on the bottom and then slowly sanded on a block on flat wood. I put a set of D'Addario's 12-53s (EXP16) on and the neck is easier to play now. Did not seem to lose any volume or tone. Sounds so good it chokes me up sometimes. I can't believe I put off getting back into music for so long, but that is what you have to do to pay the bills, go to school, succeed in your profession, take care of your family etc. Now I am making time for me to due the things I enjoy. I started Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar in March 2014 and have made it through session 18 of 20 so far. This DR-500 MCE sounds so good on the jazz chords, however it really brought back memories of the 70's when I played through an old "America COMPLETE" songbook. Pulling out my old Cat Stevens book next. LOL Thanks for all you advice guys. Happy Trails (Oh no, now that song is going to stick in my head all day!) [thumbup]

Glad your so happy and by the way bumbadida bumbadida bumbadida dida dida Happy trails to you until we meet again

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt you can beat a Masterbilt for 3 times the money.

I love mine.

Good choice.

Added - whenever I remove a truss rod cover, I keep the screws in the TRC'S screw holes with little pieces of tape. Never lose them that way.

Thanks so much for your input guys. I am going to go ahead with the Masterbuilt DR-500 MCE. I am sure they are all fine instruments. Just reading all the reviews, hardly anyone hates the one they ended up with. I was able to pick up a like new 2012 Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus on Craig's List a few weeks ago for $400 and I cannot find anything I would change in it. Absolutely looks and feels great and from your input the DR-500 must be of the same quality. I know if there is no picture, it didn't happen so here is the Les Paul and when the Masterbuilt gets here I'll follow up. Thanks again. GH

Nice Les Paul! Congratulations on choosing the Masterbilt, I did the same comparing to a comparable Yamaha. I have an Epiphone ES-335 Limited Pro in Iced Tea, and on Friday(tomorrow!) I expect my Masterbilt DR-500 MCE in Vintage Starburst to arrive! Here's my ES-335 in a photo, I will definitely post the Masterbilt when it arrives!

Archived