Gibson Brands Forums

Warmoth

Marshall Paul

Anyone have a Warmoth neck on their guitar?

When I shifted interstate recently, the removalist company damaged the neck on one of my strats by accident (thankfully not the '73). No problems, their insurance covered it.

I phone the Fender Custom Shop and tell them the story and asked if I could have a neck custom made to replace it. They said no. They would only replace the neck to the model it originaly is (a 2011 American Standard modern C).

So, I remembered seeing ads for Warmoth Guitar Parts in various guitar mags, and I talk with my friends in guitar shops about them and they all gave them a great talk up. So I get on their website and followed the prompts and, hey presto! 6 weeks later, a brand new custom made neck. One piece quarter sawn maple, maple fretboard, bi-flex truss rod, soft V contour, even 9.5" radius, mini 6105 jumbo frets (22), LSR nut, Schaller locking tuners, and soft satin finish.

My techie fits it out and, well, just beautiful. Like a brand new strat. Couldn't be happier. The quality is first class and very professional.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Warmoth was my next choice when I bought a neck for my FrankenStrat build for my daughter. (that I still have yet to finish, hopefully this winter will give me the opportunity to complete that build)

I went with a Canadian Maple neck, from Canada by what I believe to be the Godin factory workers doing side work. I wanted a reverse CBS headstock and found one with a nice shark-fin inlay on rosewood that looked perfect for my concept.

But I was checking out alot of Warmoth necks and they looked pretty damn nice. They are licensed by Fender so they have access to exact dimensions. I think they are good even though I cannot confirm thru personal experience...

Anyone have a Warmoth neck on their guitar?

When I shifted interstate recently, the removalist company damaged the neck on one of my strats by accident (thankfully not the '73). No problems, their insurance covered it.

I phone the Fender Custom Shop and tell them the story and asked if I could have a neck custom made to replace it. They said no. They would only replace the neck to the model it originaly is (a 2011 American Standard modern C).

So, I remembered seeing ads for Warmoth Guitar Parts in various guitar mags, and I talk with my friends in guitar shops about them and they all gave them a great talk up. So I get on their website and followed the prompts and, hey presto! 6 weeks later, a brand new custom made neck. One piece quarter sawn maple, maple fretboard, bi-flex truss rod, soft V contour, even 9.5" radius, mini 6105 jumbo frets (22), LSR nut, Schaller locking tuners, and soft satin finish.

My techie fits it out and, well, just beautiful. Like a brand new strat. Couldn't be happier. The quality is first class and very professional.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I don't think I have ever seen any thing negative about Warmoth. All positive. I'm planning on getting a neck for a custom Koa body I have...

I don't think I have ever seen any thing negative about Warmoth. All positive. I'm planning on getting a neck for a custom Koa body I have...

Now that's exotic! When it's finished you'll have to post a few photo's of it.

Warmoth was my next choice when I bought a neck for my FrankenStrat build for my daughter. (that I still have yet to finish, hopefully this winter will give me the opportunity to complete that build)

I went with a Canadian Maple neck, from Canada by what I believe to be the Godin factory workers doing side work. I wanted a reverse CBS headstock and found one with a nice shark-fin inlay on rosewood that looked perfect for my concept.

But I was checking out alot of Warmoth necks and they looked pretty damn nice. They are licensed by Fender so they have access to exact dimensions. I think they are good even though I cannot confirm thru personal experience...

Odd you should mention a FrankenStrat, I'm half way through a new build myself. Fender standard alder body and a fender neck that my luthier's shaving to my specs. Hot noiseless for the neck and mid, and the very first new deluxe drive pups in Australia. That bridge pup takes the last slot. Custom select wiring, this monster will be so hot it'll be untouchable.

Is yours going to be a hardtail or a floater?

I built a number of Teles with Warmouth neck a few years back. I honestly think they are better quality than Fender necks and the options you can pick from allow you to really make yourself a custom guitar. Big Warmouth fan. [thumbup]

Yeah, that's another thing I liked about them was they bent over backwards to accomodate my wants were'as fender didn't even entertain the idea. Weird.

I would and do just get real Stratocaster necks from the Stratosphere on eBay or you can just go to their store.

The Stratophere

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/

For less money than most of their "American Standard" necks, I can get a 22-fret flamed maple neck and fretboard, compound radius, dual action truss rod, Tusq nut, any fretwire I want, any of Warmoth's neck carves, any inlays i want, any nut width I want, and a vintage tint gloss finish (their most expensive finish option).

Proof:

E87exwN.png

Just get a set of tuners of your choice and it's still under the $500 they're charging for some Am Std necks on that site...

-Ryan

I would and do just get real Stratocaster necks from the Stratosphere on eBay or you can just go to their store.

The Stratophere

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/

Nice! Thanks for the link.

Most of this stuff is way overpriced, but there are also some good priced stuff on there that is REAL useful. A lot of that stuff is hard to find.

When I say overpriced, I mean to say a lot of the necks are just about the same price as the guitar it came off of. Not quite. And sure, you can't put together a guitar for a reasonable price.

As for "real" replacements, if I was going to spend 400-500 bucks, (heck, even 300), on what a Strat neck is, I bet I could get closer to the real deal shape and spec wise having Warmoth make it than what Fender typically makes.

Right on Im a 70s dude though I get the American Special Necks with 70s peghead and jumbo dunlop frets I personally would want a real Fender neck. But if its a cost issue then your right.

It isn't a price issue. It's a cost-features comparison. Warmoth wins in both price and features, and flexibility of those features.

CBS Strat neck (70's peghead as you call it). Maple/Maple or Maple/Rosewood, pretty much the same price. Compound radius (or any straight radius you want for ~$30 more), dual action truss rod, Dunlop 6150 (Jumbo) frets (you can also get the Extra-Jumbo 6100 frets for the same price), Tusq nut once again (not cheap plastic), and vintage tint gloss finish. Any nut width, neck carve, tuner hole size...$297 without tuners. Still comes out under the Fender with superior build and features. You're literally paying $100 more for a decal on the headstock and inferior construction.

JTQ5GqV.png

-Ryan

Right on Im a 70s dude though I get the American Special Necks with 70s peghead and jumbo dunlop frets I personally would want a real Fender neck. But if its a cost issue then your right.

You're literally paying $100 more for a decal on the headstock and inferior construction.

JTQ5GqV.png

-Ryan

A genuine 70's Strat neck HAS to have inferior construction, or else it's nothing like a real 70's Fender.

Don't forget to have it sprayed with thick polyester, paying particular attention to the build up around the frets.

Whoa....those axes are exotic, love 'em. Nice work fellas.

The neck I have being shaved is a real fender neck. It's a brand new american standard mod C that one of the guys in the band gave to me for the project. My luthier is shaving it into a soft V for me. Nice and timely give I reckon.

It's quarter sawn, one piece maple with maple fretboard, 22 stainless steel 6150 jumbo frets, LSR nut, 9.5" radius and bi-flex truss rod. Chris is shaving it down from a C to a V and fitting chrome schaller locking tuners for me.

Should go very nicely on Frankie.

Archived