Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard 2014 versus EDS-1275

PelhamBlueFire

Hello there,

I currently own a SG Standard (2014), but I want to get the EDS-1275, too. I might just sell the SG Standard in favor of the EDS-1275. My main question is: How are both quitars different, aside from the fact one guitar has two necks? One is made in the Gibson Custom Shop, and the other isn't. But is there a huge gap in terms of quality between the two guitars? Does the EDS-1275 - which doesn't have '57 Classics - sound a lot different, or play better? Whatever you can tell me, helps me a lot.

One of them you could take out any night of the week, rip up some old rock, tear through some new school, play up some pop, and brawl through some country. Lightweight, superb clean and not clean sounds(with decent pickups in it), rugged, reliable, versatile, a metric tonne of funne to play.

The other one is a double neck.

rct

That's a real question? Let's see one guitar has 6 strings the other has 18. One guitar has one neck the other has two. One guitar has 2 pickups the other has 4. I have a feeling the one with 6 strings is lighter, and less expensive and easier to find in almost any guitar store on any given day. But the main difference is one you can play Stairway on the other you can not.

Real question, because I already stated what I wanted to know. I'm not interested in the obvious things like, "one has two necks, they other doesn't." I want to know:

1) If the EDS-1275 is better made, since it's a Custom Shop guitar

2) If this guitar sounds a lot better than a SG

That's it, guys. My interest is in a quality difference - if there is one - between both guitars.

Real question, because I already stated what I wanted to know. I'm not interested in the obvious things like, "one has two necks, they other doesn't." I want to know:

1) If the EDS-1275 is better made, since it's a Custom Shop guitar

2) If this guitar sounds a lot better than a SG

That's it, guys. My interest is in a quality difference - if there is one - between both guitars.

1) What are you talking about when you say "better"? Are you talking about better quality woods, better fret board, or what? And asking if every EDS-1275 is going to be better than every non-CS guitar is frankly a pretty terrible question. I've never played one, so I won't comment on that, but you might want to narrow it down a bit more, and really it will depend on the guitar.

2) Will it sound "better" than any other SG? Depends on the person, depends on the guitar. Of course it's going to sound different, though. There's a lot more wood there and if its got different pups of course it will sound different.

Honestly I'm not sure why you're asking people on here. None of our opinions matter. Only yours does.

I also hope I don't have to be the first person to tell you that selling a 2014 SG Standard isn't going to put much of a dent in way of buying a new EDS-1275 (which will set you back over $4000).

Keep your SG Standard! It will be more useful, more often! Add the 1275 later, if you

want, or need it, for a certain sound. Page uses the 1275, but NOT on every song. Just

when it's appropriate, and needed ("Stairway To Heaven" etc.) It's a niche type instrument,

IMHO. And a LOT heavier, and unwieldy, than the lovely, light, SG Standard!

As to tone, most of that is in YOUR fingers, not the guitar. Best thing to do, is go out

and play a few, see if it's really what you want, or the tone you like.

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

There is alternatives to using a double neck also. Alex Lifeson uses a guitar stand and just walks up behind and plays I he has even caught a few other guitars out of mid air, but to answer your question. Yes, I am sure the C.S is built to more exacting tolerances. Tone can be what you want it to be thought. As for my 2011 S-G standard Limited Edition, it always satisfies my urge to rock or get funky. Hope this helps. [thumbup]

1) What are you talking about when you say "better"? Are you talking about better quality woods, better fret board, or what? And asking if every EDS-1275 is going to be better than every non-CS guitar is frankly a pretty terrible question. I've never played one, so I won't comment on that, but you might want to narrow it down a bit more, and really it will depend on the guitar.

2) Will it sound "better" than any other SG? Depends on the person, depends on the guitar. Of course it's going to sound different, though. There's a lot more wood there and if its got different pups of course it will sound different.

Honestly I'm not sure why you're asking people on here. None of our opinions matter. Only yours does.

I also hope I don't have to be the first person to tell you that selling a 2014 SG Standard isn't going to put much of a dent in way of buying a new EDS-1275 (which will set you back over $4000).

You're right, I'm sorry. I should have narrowed it down more. The reason I asked you these questions, is just curiosity. I will decide in the end, of course, and I really like the EDS-1275 a whole lot. It's been years since I played it, though. Back then, I got lucky a store here in the Netherlands had one in stock for a short period of time. The instrument has always intrigued me, and now I can buy one. I saved up a lot of money, and I am going to get it.

But still, I like to hear what other people have to say about the guitars. Difference in sound, quality of woods, etc. I am hugely biased, of course, but I'm a sucker for the EDS-1275. Therefore, the words "better" are poorly chosen. Again, I'm sorry for that...I just wanted to hear your guys take on things.

Hello there,

I currently own a SG Standard (2014), but I want to get the EDS-1275, too. I might just sell the SG Standard in favor of the EDS-1275. My main question is: How are both quitars different, aside from the fact one guitar has two necks? One is made in the Gibson Custom Shop, and the other isn't. But is there a huge gap in terms of quality between the two guitars? Does the EDS-1275 - which doesn't have '57 Classics - sound a lot different, or play better? Whatever you can tell me, helps me a lot.

Too bad you cant get helpful responses isn't it? This behavior seems to happen on all Forums. I had an EDS-1275 20 years ago, I also had 2 SG's back then also. I currently have a different SG and I have another on order. I have had a total of 11 Gibson over the years, I still have 7 with 1 on the way. I wish I still had the EDS-1275. I must admit it was somewhat of a novelty, it was cumbersome to use, maintain and tune. However the sustain was magnificent. The sympathetic vibrations you could get with it was awesome also. The necks were too short, access to upper frets is very limited unlike an SG. The pick ups back then were the same as now, 498T and 490R, which gives good volume and punch but the 12 string pickups should be something else, 57 classic maybe. I find the quality of Gibson USA guitars the best I have seen right now, in the 90's it was very hit or miss. I would not get rid of your SG, to buy the EDS-1275, I would keep it and save up for the double banger.

My helpful response:

Doublenecks looked great in Circus. They impress the chicks like no other. They are awesome as long as someone else has to case it, carry it, uncase it, tune it, and otherwise maintain it. They are a pain to play, thus their use is generally speaking one song at a time, with copious amounts of other music in between Doubleneck sessions. Most, if not all guitar players need a Doubleneck...never. Until they join the ultimate Zep tribute cover band, that is.

Hope this helped.

rct

My helpful response:

Doublenecks looked great in Circus. They impress the chicks like no other. They are awesome as long as someone else has to case it, carry it, uncase it, tune it, and otherwise maintain it. They are a pain to play, thus their use is generally speaking one song at a time, with copious amounts of other music in between Doubleneck sessions. Most, if not all guitar players need a Doubleneck...never. Until they join the ultimate Zep tribute cover band, that is.

Hope this helped.

rct

Did you ever own an EDS-1275?

Too bad you cant get helpful responses isn't it? This behavior seems to happen on all Forums. I had an EDS-1275 20 years ago, I also had 2 SG's back then also. I currently have a different SG and I have another on order. I have had a total of 11 Gibson over the years, I still have 7 with 1 on the way. I wish I still had the EDS-1275. I must admit it was somewhat of a novelty, it was cumbersome to use, maintain and tune. However the sustain was magnificent. The sympathetic vibrations you could get with it was awesome also. The necks were too short, access to upper frets is very limited unlike an SG. The pick ups back then were the same as now, 498T and 490R, which gives good volume and punch but the 12 string pickups should be something else, 57 classic maybe. I find the quality of Gibson USA guitars the best I have seen right now, in the 90's it was very hit or miss. I would not get rid of your SG, to buy the EDS-1275, I would keep it and save up for the double banger.

Thanks for your response, dude. It's good to hear you've owned both types of SG over the years. I like it how you mention the sustain, which is something I value deeply. Sustain is a big plus for me; therefore, I am glad to hear about the EDS's quality in this area. The upper frets access is somewhat of a surprise. Although, come to think of it, I believe it has to do with keeping the guitar as solid and strong as possible. Personally, I don't it too bad. Your argument is a strong one...to sell my SG now could be a mistake, especially because I don't have an exact date of arrival on my EDS. It could more than half a year, from what I have been told.

My helpful response:

Hope this helped.

rct

Haha, I just smiled when you said, "They impress the chicks like no other." That factor is pretty important, mate. The double-necks are in fact a niche instrument. I'm not one of those deluded and obsessed guys that fools himself, into thinking that the EDS will be a primary guitar. It's just not the kind of guitar that you keep on you for a whole 1,5 hour show. It's for certain songs, sure. It gives me some versatility, too. And I just like the sound of a 12-string on a clean sound. And with the flick of a switch, I can turn the overdrive on, and start a high-power lick. The ability to be that versatile within one song, makes this instrument so desirable to me.

It's just not the kind of guitar that you keep on you for a whole 1,5 hour show. It's for certain songs, sure. It gives me some versatility, too. And I just like the sound of a 12-string on a clean sound. And with the flick of a switch, I can turn the overdrive on, and start a high-power lick. The ability to be that versatile within one song, makes this instrument so desirable to me.

John McLaughlin in his Mahavishnu Orchestra days used to play entire shows with his EDS 1275 and the only thing he complained about was the lack of upper fret access.

I have never tried a Gibson EDS 1275, but I do own the Epiphone G1275 version which is really good for the money and sounds great too. Yes, it is heavy and does hurt your shoulder a bit after a long period of playing, but it's very versatile. If I was to gig with it I would probably sit down for half the gig though.

Maybe buy the Epiphone version if you have doubts. It's $3,000 less expensive than the Gibson.

Nah, I thought the Epiphone sounded kinda of meh. It is surprisingly light, though. I stood around with it for half an hour, and the weight didn't bug me once. I'm told the Gibson is a lot heavier, but I don't mind it too much. As I said, I don't intend to play all the time with this guitar anyway. I just like how it sound, and the options this instrument gives me.

The only thing that does start to bug me, is the fact that nobody - dealer, nor Gibson themselves - can give me an ETA on the EDS-1275. They say, "It could take two weeks, but also a whole year." Wow, that's quite a difference. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before? If so, how long did it take for your guitar to arrive?

Nah, I thought the Epiphone sounded kinda of meh. It is surprisingly light, though. I stood around with it for half an hour, and the weight didn't bug me once. I'm told the Gibson is a lot heavier, but I don't mind it too much. As I said, I don't intend to play all the time with this guitar anyway. I just like how it sound, and the options this instrument gives me.

The only thing that does start to bug me, is the fact that nobody - dealer, nor Gibson themselves - can give me an ETA on the EDS-1275. They say, "It could take two weeks, but also a whole year." Wow, that's quite a difference. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before? If so, how long did it take for your guitar to arrive?

Gibson never give specific/ accurate ETA's. My SG Custom took 6 months to arrive and that was from a dealer that had them on order already. About 12 years ago I ordered a Les Paul Classic 1960 and if I remember correctly that took a whopping 8 months to arrive! You just have to be patient, it will arrive eventually, but usually there is no point enquiring with them once you order because they move at the pace of a snail! To be fair, think how many orders they have placed on top of their usual production numbers - it is no wonder it takes a while really.

PS, it's odd you say the Epi 1275 was quite light...mine is about as heavy as a very heavy bass guitar. I'd love a Walnut EDS 1275, but as they don't make them any more so I thought I would make do with the Epi. It really does sound good through a good tube amp until I save up & find a 1970's EDS 1275. I own 14 Gibson's (archtops, acoustics & solid) and for the money the Epi is not light years away in terms of sound from my 3 Gibson SG's.

Are you in the U.S.?

http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=21232&gclid=CL7Xm6O-zsICFfIF7AodyFcAXQ

21232_Mid_60s_EDS_1275_Double_Neck_Arctic_White_CS402457_1.jpg

That's a beautiful guitar you got there. Sadly, I'm not in the USA :( I live in the Netherlands...which is part of the problem. I'm sure Gibson makes a lot more of these guitars for the USA, compared to the rest of the world. From what I have been told, 50% goes to the USA, the rest goes to the rest of the world.

Personally, I don't like the Ebony one. It has to be Heritage Cherry or Alpine White for me. But it does say "limited run." Is that the 60's Tribute limited run?

EDIT: It appears to be the case, which I like!

Thomann have a white one in stock right now;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_eds_1275_aw.htm

You just missed some Heritage Cherry ones in Europe too. Here in the UK Guitar Guitar, GAK and PMT Music had about 6 in total between them in the last couple of months.

I do like the cherry and white ones, but they are so closely associated with Jimmy Page & Don Henley. I really like the rarer ones like the black, walnut & sunburst finishes. The original hollow EDS 1275 are very cool too and you don't see many of them, also I'd love to own a EMS double mandolin too. Here's a great link to all the vintage ones Gibson once made;

http://www.abalonevintage.com/gibson_double_neck_guitars.htm

Thomann have a white one in stock right now;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_eds_1275_aw.htm

You just missed some Heritage Cherry ones in Europe too. Here in the UK Guitar Guitar, GAK and PMT Music had about 6 in total between them in the last couple of months.

I do like the cherry and white ones, but they are so closely associated with Jimmy Page & Don Henley. I really like the rarer ones like the black, walnut & sunburst finishes. The original hollow EDS 1275 are very cool too and you don't see many of them, also I'd love to own a EMS double mandolin too. Here's a great link to all the vintage ones Gibson once made;

http://www.abalonevintage.com/gibson_double_neck_guitars.htm

Personally, I would never just order one via the internet. It's far too risky. If anything goes wrong, or if there's damage, you're screwed. Thomann is reliable, though, and they have an actual shop I can visit. The only downside, is the fact that the guitar has been hanging in the shop for 5 years. Who knows how many people played on that thing (because it looks cool)? I don't want an already damaged instrument that's in need of a new fretjob right off the bat. So, I might just wait it out via my local shop. I just don't like unforseen surprises. It's 4000 euros we're talking about here. For that kind of money, I want some guarantees. Therefore, I'm off to Thomann this weekend [thumbup]

Update:

Went to Germany (Thomann) - mind you, a 6 hour drive - and I saw the guitar. It's the Alpine White finish with gold hardware. And I have to say, it didn't look as good IRL as it did on the website. Also, I am not a big fan of gold hardware to begin with. So, I decided in my mind that the Heritage Cherry one with chrome hardware was the way to go for me. I did ask to try the guitar, since I had just spent a lot of time driving to there, and I wanted to feel the difference to the Epiphone version I recently tried out. The Gibson EDS-1275 is quite a bit heavier, but not too heavy for me. The guitar sounded absolutely great, and a whole lot better than the Epi one. Both necks feel great, and just make you play easier and faster. Basically, I liked everything about this guitar...except the color. It just didn't appeal to me. And for the kind of money I am going to spend on this one, I want it to be exactly what I desire.

To conclude this update, I have decided to be in for the long haul, and I ordered a Heritage Cherry one via the dealer. So, God knows how long it will take to arrive. However, I feel it's worth the wait. I am glad I didn't impulsively order the guitar via Thomann. I think I would have been quite disappointed.

Has anyone ordered a EDS-1275 before? If so, how long did it take to reach you?

Update:

Went to Germany (Thomann) - mind you, a 6 hour drive - and I saw the guitar. It's the Alpine White finish with gold hardware. And I have to say, it didn't look as good IRL as it did on the website. Also, I am not a big fan of gold hardware to begin with. So, I decided in my mind that the Heritage Cherry one with chrome hardware was the way to go for me. I did ask to try the guitar, since I had just spent a lot of time driving to there, and I wanted to feel the difference to the Epiphone version I recently tried out. The Gibson EDS-1275 is quite a bit heavier, but not too heavy for me. The guitar sounded absolutely great, and a whole lot better than the Epi one. Both necks feel great, and just make you play easier and faster. Basically, I liked everything about this guitar...except the color. It just didn't appeal to me. And for the kind of money I am going to spend on this one, I want it to be exactly what I desire.

To conclude this update, I have decided to be in for the long haul, and I ordered a Heritage Cherry one via the dealer. So, God knows how long it will take to arrive. However, I feel it's worth the wait. I am glad I didn't impulsively order the guitar via Thomann. I think I would have been quite disappointed.

Has anyone ordered a EDS-1275 before? If so, how long did it take to reach you?

I had the Heritage Cherry 1275, I miss it. I rewired it so the toggle switches made more sense. Keep us posted to your progress.

Archived