Gibson Brands Forums

Best guitar for tarback 4 conductor pickup: Les Paul or Epi Dot?

tOCK

I have two guitars that I can put a 70's Gibson tarback pickup in the neck of and I am slightly torn on which one I should put it in.

I am leaning towards the Epi Dot, because I would be interested in the split of the coils for country cleans and fuzz with the semi body. I'm going for a Queens of the Stonage sound with the Dot.

Or should I put it in the neck of a Les Paul style guitar (Electra)? I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of the idea of split coils in a Les Paul, but I've never owned one that had that option so what do I know?

The bridge pickups in both will be vintage style pickups (Motor City Detroiter)

Sooo...What would you do? The other neck pickup I have is a vintage screaming demon (which isn't screaming according to the output). I think that is a split coil too. I have other Electras with good neck pickups (Motor City) so I really should put the tarback in the Dot right?

It sounds like you've got your mind made up on it.. put it in the Dot!! [thumbup]

I'm a little hesitant now...I'm thinking will the LP and Dot sound too similar for recording if both have a Detroiter in the bridge?

Now I'm thinking I should put the tarback in the bridge of the DOT to make it more squirrely if I need that twang/split.

I think I'm going to put the other Detroiter in my Kramers bridge which I don't track that much ryth with, so now I'll have the clarity of the detroiter in a shredder for solos with a whammy and for the classic LP bridge chunk (best of both worlds).

The way I look at it: How often am I going to use the neck pickup of the DOT on an album? And is it a waste of a vintage Gibson pickup using it for 60 seconds of solos or one fuzz'd out song when it can be in the mix on half the songs in the bridge position in the Dot?

Now I'm chasing my tail thinking about the screaming demon and it's ability to split coils. haha. Do I put that in the DOT neck or LP neck?

Anyone have any experience with that pickup? Is the screaming demon even worth splitting (does it sound like garbage).

OK: So I'll be putting the Screaming Demon in the DOT neck and the Tarback in the Dot bridge.

Can someone link a wiring diagram for:

3 way switch

1 push pull volume pot

1 tone pot?

So I can split the coils? Also, one coil is reading 5.22K and the other 2.59K for a total 7.81K.

I thought they would have been halved...STUPID question time: When I split the coil...Erm....How do I know I get the right side? haha

Archived