Gibson Brands Forums

New J-200 Standard pickguard/top question

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I have considered getting a new J-200 Standard in vintage sunburst. I was wondering if the pickguard will rub off with normal use. I play with a soft touch, but sometimes touch the pickguard with my little finger. I really like the orange colours against the sunburst.

The one I am looking at is just like this one on the Gibby page:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/J-200-Standard.aspx

Anyone here care to comment on how high a quality the spruce that is used for the tops of these are?

Thanks,

Freddie

The pickguard on the Standard has the pattern imbedded - it's designed so the pattern won't wear off - a bit thicker and softer than the traditional pickguard. Some prefer the traditional pickguard which is thinner and has the pattern on the top (which could wear) - this one comes on the TV.

The top is made of high quality Sitka spruce. The ones I've seen all have nice grain and a generous amount of silking.

My 2008 with the imbedded pattern pickguard showing no wear to the pattern -

08GibsonSJ200-top_zpsacbde549.jpg

The tops are AAA Sitka spruce, the back and sides are AAA eastern curly maple. The decoration on the pickguard on standards is now imbedded in the pickguard so it doesn't rub off like the ones that are painted on the top, assuming you are talking about a new 2014 standard. These are great guitars if you want that jumbo maple sound, and they look awesome. I wanted a J200 ever since I started playing, and when I got mine, I was not disappointed in any way.

I am a new owner of that exact same guitar. The woods on the guitar are all top notch. The sound is absolutely out of this world. Each guitar will have it's own grain pattern so yours will be unique and I like that. As far as the pickguard goes I don't ever worry about wearing it out in my lifetime. This guitar is first class in every way. Can you tell I'm impressed? I never regret for a minute buying this guitar. Now that I have a Hummingbird and a J200 could I possibly ever want for another Gibson Acoustic??? I have my doubts if I stick around here long enough!

There is a video of Cat Stevens playing a Sunburst 200 on this forum. Check it out. First time I ever saw Cat with a Sunburst 200, I always saw him with the natural finish. That made me feel even better about choosing the Sunburst model which is a beauty.

Go for it! Let us know what you decide!

I will go to my grave believing the quality of the wood does not mean a hill of beans when it comes to sound. Only matters when it comes to aestehtics.

While there are those who think a cigar box guitar sounds just great, I attach some significance to wood quality. After all, there's a whole lot of luthiers out there tapping for tone quality. . . B)

Here is a pic of my 2012 SJ-200 Custom which I purchased new. As you can see the paint is wearing off the pickguard which is engraved. The only way to guarantee the paint won't wear off the pickguard or the frets won't wear down or the strings won't break is to not play it. Wear those suckers down and get your money's worth!c1be048ccf27e36adb9bcdd74a110f73.jpg

While there are those who think a cigar box guitar sounds just great, I attach some significance to wood quality. After all, there's a whole lot of luthiers out there tapping for tone quality. . . B)

Agree on tap testing but what is being discussed here is how attractive the wood is. The highest graded spruce as example will display straight even grain lines, no run-out, uniform color and such. A piece of spruce with say a high number of grains per inch while aethetically desirable often means a denser piece of wood which will in effect dampen sound. This is where the skill of the builder comes in - the ability to voice the guitar by carving the braces to bring out the best in each individual top. That is great if you only build a small number of guitars a year. Not practical for large builders like Gibson although they did do it once upon a time with the higher dollar guitars like the J-200.

Archived