Gibson Brands Forums

Latest 3 RabsWood demos

Rabs

So ive been playing with these guitars for a few days now... And im pretty happy with them.. I think I need to replace the pups on the Maple one (with the Tele hardware) but then I bought them ages ago and think they were just some really cheap ones that I picked up on a whim.. But that's no issue...

What was, was my playing.. Lol from that other thread you probably know I have a nice blister on my middle finger which kind of left me just strumming chords... so certainly not the most exciting vid.... But for now I just stick these up so you at least get to hear them.. I will have to do one through my amp soon as well (but normally don't as its too late at night to be making a racket).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqHUWg5KWI

You have done some really cool work Rabs! Nice job sounds good I put the headphones on and really listend :)

Thank you sir, that's appreciated :)

And yes.. You really need the headphones to get some of the pickup changes and subtleties... It does help [thumbup]

Well Rabs, you certainly have progressed from a couple years ago when you didn't know what a clamp was!! [flapper] Seriously though - the guitars came out great. I don't know if it is the Searcy pickups, but I like the tone of the second one the best - but all three sound good. You seem to have the mechanicals down - now just branch out on the finishing, different colors etc. Keep at it - it must be very rewarding to do all that work and then get to actually plug them in and have them sound that good. Congratulations.

Well Rabs, you certainly have progressed from a couple years ago when you didn't know what a clamp was!! [flapper] Seriously though - the guitars came out great. I don't know if it is the Searcy pickups, but I like the tone of the second one the best - but all three sound good. You seem to have the mechanicals down - now just branch out on the finishing, different colors etc. Keep at it - it must be very rewarding to do all that work and then get to actually plug them in and have them sound that good. Congratulations.

Cheers man...

And yes, the first time I get to plug them in and hear them is always exciting...

I do get a bit to close to all of it sometimes though so very soon im going to get some impartial testing done :) That's the real test isn't it.. If people actually enjoy playing them.. I feel they are ok but am used to them now.

And yes my finishing still isn't quite up to scratch.. But with each build I learn more ...

Also I agree.. Searcy's pups are awesome, I was so impressed when I first heard them.. Very Gibson like. [thumbup] The tone of the first one is ok, but I think the bass side is too high cos it was getting a bit too distorted on that end.. Ive been playing about with the heights.. Also on that guitar the bridge pup is not as near to the bridge as it should have been, but I think I changed my mind on what I was going to put on it half way through the build :rolleyes: (all part of the learning)

The clean sound is the only one that matters to me, and I thought they all sounded great! Especially the first one. Congratulations on some great sounding guitars, Rabs.

(Oh, and btw, I like the headstock design, too.)

well I like the Tele (#3) best Rabs so that's at least one vote for each so far - a good sign that you doing things right across all the different designs.

Being able to show them off must be a satisfying reward for your effort. Good stuff.

The clean sound is the only one that matters to me, and I thought they all sounded great! Especially the first one. Congratulations on some great sounding guitars, Rabs.

(Oh, and btw, I like the headstock design, too.)

Thanks man :)

And yeah I was just showing they sounded ok with distortion too (cos a lot of people use it)...

And this forum helped me design my headstock... So thank you all too [thumbup]

well I like the Tele (#3) best Rabs so that's at least one vote for each so far - a good sign that you doing things right across all the different designs.

Being able to show them off must be a satisfying reward for your effort. Good stuff.

Yeah... As I think with most people who do creative stuff, it never seems good enough to you when you are making them, like writing a tune, you always think it can be better :)

And yes that was the whole point of me doing various designs and using different hardware. It helps give me experience on how to do it all (like this was the first time I wired a Tele style control switch)... And then that will all help me focus my designs until I hit on the perfect mix of style and functionality... Well that's the hope anyway :D

Or maybe even just never have a "standard" just let each guitar do its own thing.. As you have proved, what ever you do, there will always be some who like it, some who don't and most people just wont care ;)

Thank you sirs...

And the one thing I have learned (and a reason I am doing all sorts of builds) is that everyone is different and that while some people may not like or even hate some of my guitars, others will love them....

So I will keep going and keep defining and refining what I am doing until I have a good idea of at least what I think works best and has the broadest appeal as I can...

Or as I have said... Just not make any standard models and make each one unique...

Thank you sirs...

And the one thing I have learned (and a reason I am doing all sorts of builds) is that everyone is different and that while some people may not like or even hate some of my guitars, others will love them....

So I will keep going and keep defining and refining what I am doing until I have a good idea of at least what I think works best and has the broadest appeal as I can...

Or as I have said... Just not make any standard models and make each one unique...

Hello Rabs!

I am so envy...

How many times I decided I am going to build a couple of guitars myself, but never seem to find time for it. So many things are in priority.

Keep on doing, them! [thumbup]

Best wishes... Bence

You have come along ways since days of building a guitar from a door. GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks man... and yes indeed I have learned much :)

Still.. I do intend to finish one of those door wood guitars some day :) And actually that wood was pretty nice pine and for the bodies I think has some nice grain patterns...

I was lucky to find a good and cheap source of wood locally and at the moment have quite a stock going :) And its really nice wood too, properly dried and all that.

Archived