Gibson Brands Forums

Fear of Regret: Did I Buy the Right Guitar?

fumblefingers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will bring up my shoes again!

I bought 2 pairs (one spare)of very famous brand walking/running shoes and they fit beautifully, look great, feel great, great to walk in, just great and excellent all over and all around!

Except when I walk the dog on the gravel path near me, the reason for wearing out so many shoes, the gravel bits stick in the sole of the shoes and won't come out no matter what I do when I get home. But when I put them on, little gravels have appeared all over the floor, and all over the floor of my car if I have worn them while driving, perhaps with a dog walk in mind......

I have never have this happen with any other shoe I have owned - same gravel path has been there for a fair while....

Nothing's perfect in this world [mellow] , but a J45 Custom is pretty close!

BluesKing777.

I will bring up my shoes again!

BluesKing777.

Again with the shoes? Maybe we should consider a name change to Parlour(Man)King777 ?

...and last, but not least...

encouraging words inserted here

A fine bit of thoughtful, and heartfelt insight here from RustyStrings. Thanks for taking the time to put that to words. Hopefully, the OP will take those words to heart.

Again with the shoes? Maybe we should consider a name change to Parlour(Man)King777

PM the shoe connnoiseur would probably consider my shoes with that look that says I stepped in something, and then I would leave some gravel on his floor.............

And he might IMPLODE!

Is he allowed back soon, or does he have a new name?

BluesKing777.

Except when I walk the dog on the gravel path near me, the reason for wearing out so many shoes, the gravel bits stick in the sole of the shoes and won't come out no matter what I do when I get home. But when I put them on, little gravels have appeared all over the floor, and all over the floor of my car if I have worn them while driving, perhaps with a dog walk in mind......

I have never have this happen with any other shoe I have owned - same gravel path has been there for a fair while....

BluesKing777.

Have you tried using a Tonerite on them?

FMA

Anybody else have this? If we were talking a $500 guitar, no biggie. But when it's over $2,000, I become a little pensive. As highlighted in another thread, I just purchased a brand new J-45 Custom. It is a BEAUTIFUL guitar, and something I have been looking forward to for years. I get excited every time I open that case and smell it. And, I love to play it. My worry comes from: Is this the best SOUNDING J-45 I could have purchased?

Buying online is somewhat scary. After reading as much as I possibly could about the J-45, there seems to be a large number of people who consider a lot of them "dead." Now, I'm going to be honest here, I don't even know what a "dead" guitar is. Perhaps somebody could help me out with that. I did say that I was a little surprised that the guitar was not a bit louder. However, it does have a beautiful, warm tone. I'm not really into "bright" anyway, like Taylors sound to me. I really love the guitar, but not having been able to compare it to other like guitars, there's a bit of apprehension, like maybe I didn't get a "good" one. Just thought I'd share my thoughts. Again, she's a beauty, and I do love having her in my hands. I cannot get over this guitar. It is so nice.

Hanging out on AGF eh?

You get excited every time you open the case. You love to play it. But on the forums, where a "large number of people" who are on the forums instead of playing their guitars, consider them "dead." The solution is obvious: Open the case. Play your new guitar. Get off,the forums.

One man's warmth is another's dead; one man's sparkle is another's bright. Personally, I haven't played a "dead" new Gibson in a long, long time, and the last time I played a J-45 Custom, I liked it a lot better than the HD-28 in the same showroom. "Loud?" Do you need a guitar to compete for sonic space in acoustic jams where everyone is pounding away, trying to be the loudest (or someone is playing a banjo)? If not, whether or not it is the loudest guitar is not relevant.

P

Agree BBH and PP ..... I think, FmblFngs that if you are going to build a 12'x16' hardwood music studio in a building apart from your house - all you need to do is listen to how your J45C sounds with good acoustics. And, if not 'loud' enough - get a nice little amp and take advantage of the LRBaggs Element on board electronics - it is an outstanding system. If you put up with a Korean guitar for 10 years, I think you should be able to put up with your Gibson for at least that long.

Hanging out on AGF eh?

You get excited every time you open the case. You love to play it. But on the forums, where a "large number of people" who are on the forums instead of playing their guitars, consider them "dead." The solution is obvious: Open the case. Play your new guitar. Get off,the forums.

One man's warmth is another's dead; one man's sparkle is another's bright. Personally, I haven't played a "dead" new Gibson in a long, long time, and the last time I played a J-45 Custom, I liked it a lot better than the HD-28 in the same showroom. "Loud?" Do you need a guitar to compete for sonic space in acoustic jams where everyone is pounding away, trying to be the loudest (or someone is playing a banjo)? If not, whether or not it is the loudest guitar is not relevant.

P

Amen!

and don't forget, new guitars can be moody. I had days with my 2013 H'bird when I thought, uh it doesn't sound that good. But now after a year its starting to settle. I also noticed a serious increase in volume after about 4 months.

If the guitar makes you exited when you get it out, makes you want to play, then it is THE right guitar.

As opposed to a guitar that doesn't turn your crank very much, that bores you. Doesn't matter what it is.

By what criteria is a guitar judged, anyway?

Hey fumblefingers, I think you're spot on, that Gibson you have is dead as a plank and will never amount to anything close to what you dream of.........However, I have a habit of hookin' up with dead wood so I feel an attraction to the very instrument that you have wasted your hard earned money on. I feel so strongly about it that I am compelled to offer you a way out from under that twang box, at a substantial discount of course, being the chit box that it is. If you just can't make yourself love it shoot me off an email and if I'm still feeling the draw I just may take it off your hands :) In the mean time I'll just strum on one of my other Gibsons that I helped the PO get out from under. Merry Christmas!

Hey fumblefingers, I think you're spot on, that Gibson you have is dead as a plank and will never amount to anything close to what you dream of.........However, I have a habit of hookin' up with dead wood so I feel an attraction to the very instrument that you have wasted your hard earned money on. I feel so strongly about it that I am compelled to offer you a way out from under that twang box, at a substantial discount of course, being the chit box that it is. If you just can't make yourself love it shoot me off an email and if I'm still feeling the draw I just may take it off your hands :) In the mean time I'll just strum on one of my other Gibsons that I helped the PO get out from under. Merry Christmas!

Have you always been so generous, Allie? I mean, I'm flattered, but I'm not comfortable with gifts from strangers. [flapper]

They're gonna have to pry this thing out of my cold, dead hands...

The offer still stands, but it sounds like I didn't get to you soon enough [biggrin].......I picked up a 94 J-45VB about a year ago for a great price, around $1150.00 delivered to my door and after I bought it I had the same feelings you have, I just assumed that getting it for that money there had to be something wrong with it. fast forward to now and it's the only guitar I have that I can't put down after I get the thing in my hands, hard to explain but it's like a really good women, I can't stop thinking about it when I'm not handling it. I think if you give yourself some time you'll come to feel about the same for your Gibby....but if you ever change your mind......... [wink]

Well…..I goes we all have bouts of "buyer's remorse"……even when selling a nice one, I also get "seller's remorse"!…….Sometimes I own a guitar for only 6 months, and decide the neck is not right, or the sound….then sell it. Maybe I break even or loose a hundred, but I don't have anything like FEAR or Regret…….it's only a little bread, and I got the experience of owning something nice. For example, I once bought a Roy Smeck version made by SCGC. Flawless workmanship, great neck, great sound, but because of the 12 fret neck, and the placement of the sound hole and the deep body depth, I could NOT find a way to hold and play that guitar that felt comfortable to me….I tried everything since it was such a nice guitar…..eventually traded for a smaller body SCGC H-13….MUCH better, for me, that is. Next guy loved everything about the Smeck……so win-win…….Didn't cost me anything, and now I learned something…..no fear, no regret….

……even when selling a nice one, I also get "seller's remorse"!…….

I was just going to add my take on that. I went to some trouble locating an Epi Masterbilt EF500RANS after I slept through the ebay auction for one that I was going to go high on. Plus, days before the auction, a very nice EF500MNS "just arrived" at some GC down in Tucson, which I impulse grabbed at a decent price. The idea was to choose one and sell the other, especially if the RA just had too much abalone for my taste. A month or so later, a maple b/s EF500PNS appeared on ebay out of some phantom guitar vault in Nashville - an untouched 2003 pre-production model where none were thereafter produced during the 2004-2011 production run. Well, that was about a 10 second decision. Buy-it-now. So at this point I've got 3 EF Masterbilts.

I decided the RA was a bit over the top, though it was a gorgeous guitar. I sold it through a local newspaper free ad for about 50 bucks less than I paid for it. Like you say, I played and enjoyed it for some months, took pictures of it, haha... so no regret for taking a little loss. I do semi-regret breaking up the mahogany-maple-rosewood-back trio of Masterbilts. I may have to pick up an EF500RNS to re-complete the set. Yeah, I'd take an RAVS, even with the abalone.

My J45 is not what I would consider a canon by any means.

I don't think they were designed to be so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Besides, you have a pickup in there for a reason. Want louder? Plug it in. msp_smile.gif

Is it the best sounding example you could have purchased? Who knows. Have you played every example that exists?

My feeble advice? Don't compare it to other instruments. If you like the tone - and it sounds like you do, focus on yours.

Archived