Gibson Brands Forums

Fear of Regret: Did I Buy the Right Guitar?

fumblefingers

Quote: "After reading as much as I possibly could about the J-45, there seems to be a large number of people who consider a lot of them "dead." Now, I'm going to be honest here, I don't even know what a "dead" guitar is. Perhaps somebody could help me out with that. I did say that I was a little surprised that the guitar was not a bit louder. However, it does have a beautiful, warm tone."

Dead!

In recent years and even decades.

I have often felt the same thing after hearing many Guitarists Play.

I absolutely love to watch You Tube reviews of New Musical Instruments I am thinking of Collecting.

But Stunned that it often appears, the worst Guitarists in the World, selected and elected themselves to be their Active Demonstrators.

Happily, there are of course tremendously notable exceptions to these lamentably appalling assaults upon the Sensibilities of the Human Ear, the worst of which is the following.

Talk is Bad News in many Musical Situations. I learnt from the Tome of Archibald T Davison (a Notable Conductor) that its better to Sing whenever I felt the need to Talk. It eliminates Wasted Rehearsal Time, Demonstrating the Sonics You Want.

Why and How on earth, You Tube Reviewers can TALK, TALK, TALK, endlessly without actually disclosing any Authentic Facts and Details regarding the Instrument and its Construction is a complete mystery to me? When what I really want to do is to Hear its Sound. Something they sometimes, never even get round to!

Regarding the J-45 and all Acoustic Instruments.

If you were to Formally Study "Musical Form and Performance" as a Subject.

You would find that particularly in Classical Music, the "Volume of Tone of a Musical Instrument" is sometimes referred to.

What this means for a Player is that as the Volume of an Instrument is altered, its Tonality Personality Changes too, and contra wise, if you adjust or affect the Tonality of an Instrument (there are many ways to do this) its Projected Volume will naturally alter as a Direct Consequence.

Inexperienced Players, (and even some Players of Long Standing) tend to Evaluate Instruments by the Loudness of their Projection. To the Human Ear, the first Instinct is that Louder is always better. This Initial Impression is of course not always the case after you have lived with the Instrument a while, most especially if you come to realise that versatility of Tonal Personality and Character, may well have been Sacrificed on the Altar of the Pursuit of Loudness of Projection.

By analogy, I was thinking of this the other day when I visited a Manufacturing Plant, to see the Plant Director and his Senior Staff and wish him, them and their families a Wonderful Christmas. A friend that was accompanying me was saying "WOW" at the Beautiful, Stunningly Fast M Series Car that was Parked Up where it shouldn't be. (Who else but the Plant Director could ever get away with that?) It was Painted an Unusual and Unique Shade of Gold, and looked Incredibly Striking to the Eye!

I told my friend, "The problem with owning a Car with such an Vibrantly Eye Catching Colour, is that although at first it appears Irresistible and Stunningly Attractive. Living with it, after a While, the Initial Impression on the Eye and Brain, Quickly Wanes, as it Tires and Wearies the Owner by Constant, Daily Familiarity with such a Demandingly Distractive Element. This is most especially true, when it's Essential that the Driver's Attention must be Elsewhere, On the Road, Itself. In much the same way, with Musical Instruments, Sheer Volume alone isn't all its about, Focussing in on Tonal Character itself is Vitally Important. It's Easy to allow the Urgent and Demanding upon our Attention to Wrongly Supersede the Absolutely Important and Essential in Life.

The J-45 has its own special Tonal Personality.

It's not so Forward as other Designs you could compare it too.

But its Voice is Sweeter and Deeper and what it loses in Volume of Projection.

It more than makes up for with its "laid back in the mix" Tonal Character that Records so Well.

Allow me to ask a pertinent personal question. When you Choose a Wife, will you do so on the basis of the Loudness of Her Voice?

And if not, then perhaps the Essential Importance of a "Sweet Character" and Nature will not be lost upon you. There's a Place for a Striking Guitar Tone, but also a place for a Sweet One.

Strange as it may seem to folks, now that they are starting to think a little more deeply about the Actuating Issues involved here, there's an amazing amount of Guitarists that Genuinely Choose to Buy Guitars, utilising this Loudness Criteria.

Ultimately it may be the case.

You may need to have than One Guitar.

Probably you will need to find the Compromise.

Of the Best Overall Balance of many Desirable Qualities.

In a Wife.

Happy Christmas!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the J-45 and all Acoustic Instruments.

The J-45 has its own special Tonal Personality.

It's not so Forward as other Designs you could compare it too.

But its Voice is Sweeter and Deeper and what it loses in Volume of Projection.

It more than makes up for with its "laid back in the mix" Tonal Character that Records so Well.

Happy Christmas!

I totally agree with this.

Anthony, I think you were doing great up though the gold colored car metaphor . But asking us if we would select a wife based on her volume, was prejudicial. You are suggesting we would completely ignore other attributes.

I am sure I don't need to elaborate. Suffice it to say - a cherry sunburst would be the highest priority, as has been verified by astute H'Bird players on another thread.

Your feelings are normal to have, which is why I have five acoustic guitars....lol... If one is too dark or to too bright for a certain song, I just switch guitars....

but I've tried out numerous J-45, and my singer purchased a J45 Cobra Burst about a month ago, and the both of us sat in GC for hours playing the ol girl and it's an amazing guitar... Great finger picking guitar, and very responsive...

It's always nice to get an opinion about guitars I've purchased, which is why I take them with me to jam sessions, so my pals can play them. But Ive found if I'm playing the guitar and it doesn't get locked away and not played, I got a good one.

I'd like to again thank everyone for the thoughtful replies. I am keeping this guitar. I have been playing it daily, and it has beautiful tone, and the sound has surprised me a few times, pleasantly of course.

I'm sure it's obvious by my posts that I am in no way qualified to evaluate guitars. I do not read music, I am not up on the jargon, I am just a guy who loves the sound of the instrument, and who has taught himself to play out of sheer enjoyment. I think that's why I worried about getting a great sounding one- that perhaps my limitations could cause me to choose a "dead" guitar, whatever that means. [flapper]

I'd like to again thank everyone for the thoughtful replies. I am keeping this guitar. I have been playing it daily, and it has beautiful tone, and the sound has surprised me a few times, pleasantly of course.

I'm sure it's obvious by my posts that I am in no way qualified to evaluate guitars. I do not read music, I am not up on the jargon, I am just a guy who loves the sound of the instrument, and who has taught himself to play out of sheer enjoyment. I think that's why I worried about getting a great sounding one- that perhaps my limitations could cause me to choose a "dead" guitar, whatever that means. [flapper]

Fumble Person

Short of Allie possibly thinking that you may have a misdirected sex drive due to your lament of your new buy's lack of loudness, REJOICE in the fact that your wise decision to keep your gem has most probably thrown Allie into a fit of deep depression regardless of his last affirmation of your decision.To further make your day please, know that my loudest guitar out of the 8 I own is positively the worst sounding one.

Regards,

Moose

Fumble Person

Short of Allie possibly thinking that you may have a misdirected sex drive due to your lament of your new buy's lack of loudness, REJOICE in the fact that your wise decision to keep your gem has most probably thrown Allie into a fit of deep depression regardless of his last affirmation of your decision.To further make your day please, know that my loudest guitar out of the 8 I own is positively the worst sounding one.

Regards,

Moose

I'll be watching ebay in case fumblefingers can't overcome his 'buyers remorse' [-o<

I have owned a Washburn 1979 D-20 acoustic dreadnaught guitar since 1980. It was made in Asia, but I don't know where. It has a sitka spruce top, mahogany back & sides, rosewood fingerboard and Martin style headstock. $150 dollars used in 1980. I had the frets leveled once.

Today it is hard to find those specs on an inexpensive guitar. I play frequently with guys that have a Hummingbird, a Gibson Bluesking Electro, an old Guild, a nice Maton and an old Martin D-28. I can now afford to buy an expensive acoustic guitar, but I have chosen not to do so since I am convinced that the tone, volume and playability of this Washburn stands tall with the five I just mentioned.

Let your heart guide you and don't second guess yourself.

Play on!

I am reading a lot about "dead" sounding...

Sure, I think there is such a thing. And I would even count myself as one who does not like what you might call "dead" sounding.

But a couple things about that- one, it's sort of a derogatory term, and that makes it misleading. "Smooth" would be better.

Also, a lot of the critics of this sound come from the Taylor camp, and Taylors are VERY bright. Brightest sound out there.

It all comes down to a matter of taste, and WHAT YOU USE THE GUITAR FOR! How you play it, and what type of playing you do with it.

Lots of folks, and I mean lots, and better players than me, use the acoustic for accompaniment when singing, and/or do a lot of strumming. Lots of these so-called "dead" sounding guitars end up with these folks, because they work better. The song comes out better, the sound of the vocals come out better, and the listener is rewarded.

That, as opposed to a guy hard strumming the heck out of a bright sounding guitar and singing over it. I hear a lot of Taylors being used this way, and it isn't a better sound in my opinion. Brand prejudice and image works both ways.

I custom ordered a 2002 Advanced Jumbo, and obviously I had no chance to try it out. I bought it from a Gibson dealer with about 20 new gibson's on display, but no Advanced Jumbos. The day that I got the call that it was in, I got there within an hour, and the shipping carton was still sealed. I took it out, got comfortable, and I was in love with it about three minutes in. I packed it up and took it home. I still love that sound every time that I tune it up. There are better AJ's out there I'm sure. But this one has exactly the sound that I wanted.

I then bought a Brazilian AJ, and I really can't tell much difference, so apparently it's a REAL good one. As long as You love playing it, make it Yours. And don't forget, it will sound even better as You play it in. These Gibsons grow on You like a vine.

Archived