Gibson Brands Forums

NGD.

LarryUK

1_zps7a9a31e6.png

2_zps3b5983e4.png

Some may not agree with my purchase as I've bought a Fender Modern player Strat (China)

I tried it and thought it was OK. The price was the clincher. £195 or $307 which I felt was a good buy as it came with a bag and tuner. I'm going to change bits on it to improve it. I've got an Ibanez SA160 in my lounge which is my daily play and I love the thin neck. This is the same. A nice feel. So, if I get on with it I might get a better one.

My daughter really loves her Chinese Squire Classic-Vibe 60's Strat in Fiesta Red that I got her a couple years back. By all account it's a very strong axe for the money and sounds, looks, and feels just great...

As a matter of fact I watched her play it just last night in her High School Band's Christmas Concert...

She's been the only girl guitarist in Band since going there in Junior High. (7th grade) She's a Senior now... She started on my old circa 1998-ish Squire Blackie Strat, (which turned into a dog after years of neglect but held up to start her off and is now the basis body for our FrankenStrat build) then I got her her first new electric guitar; an Ibanez ART100W, (white Les Paul style axe) then a nice Takamine jumbo A/E, and then her Classic-Vibe Strat... She's an all state all conference athlete which has dominated her time so she doesn't get to do much with it these days and on top of that college is right around the corner in less than a year, considering all that I think she's still quite a good player...

It's done fine by us!

Merry Christmas!

aaed29fc.jpg

I've got this Charvel So Cal which I've never got on with and the quality feels no different. I think it's the Floyd that I don't like. It's too bulky under the palm.

If you're not a fan of the Floyd and you don't mind spending a little cash...contact your local Schaller dealer and ask about Schaller's "Vintage Tremolo". About $200 or so, but worth every penny. Non-locking, roller saddles, mounts on Floyd post spacing, nice sized block. A new nut and you're good to go. Stays in tune for me better than the cheapo Korean Floyd did...

J8LdkN7.jpg

Also, that guitar was Made In Japan. They've always been known for making quality guitars.

-Ryan

Some may not agree with my purchase as I've bought a Fender Modern player Strat (China)....I tried it and thought it was OK. The price was the clincher. £195...

'Some' aren't going to play it so don't give them a second's thought.

£195 and it says 'Fender' at the top end? Can't really complain about that.

It's even got slotted'n'drilled Klusons-style tuners - which have always been far and a way my favourites on a Fender.

I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

[thumbup]

P.

Very nice too....

But I spot a Hohner (Steinberg copy) headless guitar with no strings on it in your pic?

I had a Hohner headless bass....could not get used to lack of headstock. Or anything else.

What radius is the Strat neck? Modern - flattish or 'vintage'?

Very nice too....

But I spot a Hohner (Steinberg copy) headless guitar with no strings on it in your pic?

I had a Hohner headless bass....could not get used to lack of headstock. Or anything else.

What radius is the Strat neck? Modern - flattish or 'vintage'?

The Hohner is my brother's. I was setting it up for him. It's not a bad guitar if you like those things. The Strat is vintage. 9.5 inch, c shape. I think that's what I prefer to my Charvel.

Sounds like she's going to turn into another Nancy Wilson!!

A proud Dad [thumbup]

I am that!!!

But I doubt she'll turn into Nancy Wilson, she's so busy with all her other stuff he life is tremendously full and to go that route in life you have to devote yourself to it 100%, at least to get that big or go far...

She was a Black Sash in Wah Lum Tam Tui Kung-Fu by age 11, she was the only girl in boys Little League Baseball in our local town league; as our starting ace pitcher and shortstop. She transitioned to girls fast-pitch softball nicely and has won All Western MA Championship twice already, and has been the starting shortstop on not only our high school Varsity team since 8th grade, (
last high school season comes up in spring
)but has been on traveling summer tournament teams in that same time for both U16 & U18 and has been the starting shortstop on those teams as well, and (
for Varsity High School
) has been voted all-schoolastic 1st team by the sportswriters in our region every year she's been on Varsity, (
since 8th grade
) and has been voted layer Of The Year in both of those Championship seasons by the Western MA sportswriters and her peers, she's a founding member of her school's S.A.D.D. (
Students Against Destructive Decisions
) group/program, she's been an active member of the school band playing guitar with them since 7th grade and writing, arranging, and performing her own music since the summer after 5th grade, she's been her class' student council president winning every election since Freshman year in high school, she went outside her comfort zone and competed in this years Dinstinguished Young Women's (
formerly known as Junior Miss, but has been transformed into a serious collegiate scholarship awards program
) competition and low-and-behold came in 2nd runner-up in the whole thing out of 16 regional seniors. She's working to support herself and has been accepted into every college she's applied-to (approx. 10) with academic sholarships and has been recruited by even more colleges to come & play ball, (
unfortunately we come from a Division-2 community/regional school system that is not high on anyone's collegiate register and it is mostly Division-2 & Division-3 colleges that have scouted her and only Division-2 has any sports scholarship money to offer and it's alot less than for boys sports
) but she's decided for herself that sports ain't gonna be her ticket and she's serious about an education in criminal forensics and that is a more focal direction in her life than even her world-class sports career potential...

So yes, I'm not only a proud papa, I'm blessed beyond my deserved earnings! Thanks!!!

Back on topic... msp_blushing.gif i apologize for the momentary thread hijack...

She was simply smitten with the Fiesta Red Squire Classic Vibe Strat and it suits her to a tee and is a great guitar...

As much as I was wary and anxious about an import Squire after my own Blackie Squire Strat seemed like such a dog, I was pleasantly surprised at how good hers is...

Archived