Gibson Brands Forums

Wow, just look at this!

IanHenry

I'd like to see a photo of the original this is based on.

There are but only a handful of the originals with tops like this- I mean, that much flame and such. And the color!

It seems it's only a matter of time until certain ones get the "collect's choice" treatment.

There were approx. what, 1,400 made in 1959???

We got lots more to go... I suspect they will make exquisite exacting reproductions of every one of the originals that they have available to make computer templates from... Anyone that owns a vintage Les Paul could get a letter of request...

They've already shown they'll go outside the original template of a '59 with the Tom Scholz CC, so now we have a myriad of potential vintage Les Pauls (from '52 to '60 and now outside that realm) that could be remade into a CC if the original exists and is in good enough condition and a pristine enough specimen for Gibson to laser measure and x-ray etc. Who knows what criteria on what given day will prompt them to choose one as a CC model... I almost suspect they'd possibly remake any original vintage that becomes available to them by the owner...

There are probably dozens already lined up for production runs that we haven't seen yet...

I'm still waiting for Danny Kirwan's '56 GoldTop... msp_biggrin.gif

From everything I see, hear, and read about on them they are all exceptionally made guitars of the utmost craftsmanship and artisanship and are dreams to play and have gobs of vintage tone, even beyond the normal Custom Shop products...

It's all good...

The good thing about the Collector's choice guitars is they can make the same "mistakes" putting them together that they made in 1959, as long as they're like the original. Like how they install the pots in the cavity so the knobs sit up at random heights above the body of the guitar. You need a ladder to adjust the knobs. That's classy! [unsure]

And like the frets are chopped off before they reach the binding. Mkay! You've got to wonder if that was original or a refret or some kind of brain fart from the Gibson Product Devolvement Department. :rolleyes:

There were approx. what, 1,400 made in 1959???

No man. Duchossoier I think says less than 900 in 59. They had a fire and lost their paperwork, he did distributor records and came up with that many. I believe it was less than 900.

rct

It appears not to have nibs - which is a bit of a surprise. I'm sure they know what they are doing, however.

I just looked through my copy of The Beauty of the 'Burst, and to my surprise most of them didn't have nibs on them. I'm not sure if that's because they were refretted.

Wow again! I've just found one of those "Gabby" Les Paul's for sale at Andertons here in the U.K. It's £7099 (that's $11093).

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid36823/cid671/gibson-collectors-choice-3530-1959-les-paul-gabby.asp

Even a run of the mill 2015 Les Paul Standard is £2500 ($3906). I think it may be quite some time before I buy a new Gibson, even if it does come with the G-Farce tuning system [tongue]

Ian

ARGHHH! NO! NO! NO!

That is WRONG!

I mean I'm sure it's a nice instrument, tunes up and plays wonderfully...but ....no thankyou!

I had a sparkle green System III Strat once...that's different....and it had a rosewood board. Maple just doesn't look right to me on a LP.

ARGHHH! NO! NO! NO!

That is WRONG!

I mean I'm sure it's a nice instrument, tunes up and plays wonderfully...but ....no thankyou!

I had a sparkle green System III Strat once...that's different....and it had a rosewood board. Maple just doesn't look right to me on a LP.

All Les Paul's should have maple boards because that's what I like. And as we all know Gibson should do exactly what I want.Here's my current one.

45E6D7DB-2E89-4FD4-BF10-9C27F4FF1E1D_zpsy2gvannc.jpg

All Les Paul's should have maple boards because that's what I like. And as we all know Gibson should do exactly what I want.

Scandalous, scurrilous and possibly the result of all that 'raw power'......

So (sharp intake of breath).....iguana green, huh?

And (shudder) a maple board, varnished rock maple am I right?

Then (OMG a glass of water please) you, uh....want....(gasp)... G-Force/Min-E-Tune?

Well....to quote the shrink.....

You're Our Boy!!!!!!!!

(EDIT) - Excuse the silliness....on topic, I'd love a 'Gabby' LP but it is a lot of money for a reissue guitar however good the quality is....

Archived