Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone check these Power Pins out?

kidblast

This may sound harsh so I apologize beforehand if it ruffles your feathers but...What I don't get is why some of you folks keep demanding to make what are arguably the some of best acoustic guitars ever built "better." They are already state of the art. Are you bored with what you are playing? Perhaps it is your technique, knowledge of music or lack of trying for YOU to get better that drives this and allows sly marketers to separate you from your money. Yea, let's take a Stradivarius, boost it with a Baggs and play it through a stack of Marshals. Now I'll sound better! How about just getting better? If you get better, even playing a Sears plywood piece of junk with rusty strings will sound better. B)

I totally get what you are saying. If it "looks" cool in the eyes of the beholder go for it. Personally, after consulting possibly the best custom guitar builder out there, Bob Benedetto, whose guitars sell for many tens of thousands of dollars, I've decided to follow his advice and always replace any plastic nuts, saddles etc. with bone. There is a documented acoustic reason based on science to do so. If one wants to add some bling and have that dot of mother-of-pearl that's gorgeous. What I was trying to point out is that, all too often I find on this forum folks who are going to extremes to get a better sound acoustically, looking outside themselves to get a better sound, when in fact the answer lies within. When we hear our favorite players and it inspires us to emulate their sound it quite often comes because our heroes are talented beyond measure and have honed their skills by playing a zillion hours. "Feel the force Luke." B)

Archived