Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird not very cherry anymore?

Jesse_Dylan

Color is an interesting thing. One can tire of it. I love the Hummingbirds, and I considered purchasing one, but I decided upon a J-45 because the price was better, it had Rosewood back and sides, and the Hummingbird has a certain flashiness to it that I just wasn't sure about long term. Meaning, I was worried I may tire of the ornate look. I decided I wanted a warmer color. What I really wanted was the Amber Burst J-45 Custom, but I could not find one as they were limited in production. The price was probably higher so that may have been a dealbreaker anyway.

Am I alone in that I really do not like cherrybursts?

I'm sure there are many who dislike cherry burst and even more who dislike the pick guard. :) I, however, love the pickguard (probably because I've grown up seeing Hummingbirds) and have always wanted a cherry burst guitar (probably for the same reason).

Not all the "candy" ones have a rich look, tho--some look more like the Epiphone with a pasted on sort of cherry. It's like one has to get one in a perfect medium, regardless of whether it's the dark cherry, bright cherry or heritage cherry. (Above TV is great tho, very rich.)

What I think is odd is that the Modern Classic has the "heritage" (ie faded) finish while the TV has something more akin to how they originally were. You'd think the modern classic would look fresh and new and the TV would look like how they should after 50 years (faded)

Nope, , , but you usually put it with such pondus. .

The cherries I dislike are the first-wave-ones that lost or never had warmth in the red hue, , , those that appeared and still appear rosa, , , which means pinkish. .

I also find the original direct red/yellow tequilasunrisebursts like Jagger and Richards earliest models to much directly from the plant. But many of those aged beautifully. .

I was one at one time back in my Martin days. I thought I would never buy one of those plus it was not a Martin....Now I am 60 years old and what's my main acoustic a Hummingbird...go figure . Now I open the case just to look at it. I never thought I'd sell my D18 either and my D28 has not been played in over a year when I bought the J35.Jesse I hope you find a deal like I did mine is a 2014 played twice shop demo I bought from a friend for $1449.. It is a rare deal.

For heavens sake don't -

1/ It would be playing hazard with the tone. (But the thought is dramatically interesting - same guard ?)

2/ It's gorgeous as is - by the way a slightly 'candier' burst than all mine. .

I probably never will. But just because I could never justify spending so much money on a purely aesthetic issue. But yes, same guard....like this one...

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Gibson/10768/CarterCashGuitar.html

and you're right, it looks gorgeous, just to many bursts in my home.

by the way, when I first saw a j-45 in person (and I did't knew anything about its iconic status then) I thought this is one of the most ugliest guitars in the world. I slowly changed my mind after strumming a few chords...

I was one at one time back in my Martin days. I thought I would never buy one of those plus it was not a Martin....Now I am 60 years old and what's my main acoustic a Hummingbird...go figure . Now I open the case just to look at it. I never thought I'd sell my D18 either and my D28 has not been played in over a year when I bought the J35.Jesse I hope you find a deal like I did mine is a 2014 played twice shop demo I bought from a friend for $1449.. It is a rare deal.

I hope I can get a deal like that too! I know I can get one from My Favorite Guitars in Florida at 40% off, just like with Martins. However I really want to trade in all my stuff, so it has to be local (or close). Maybe Music Villa will do the 40% off thing too. That would be nice. I know I could sell all my stuff myself. Maybe I could sell it all locally on consignment and then buy mail order this summer. A pilgrimage to Music Villa with a car full of trade-ins in August might be good too though.

I hope I can get a deal like that too! I know I can get one from My Favorite Guitars in Florida at 40% off, just like with Martins. However I really want to trade in all my stuff, so it has to be local (or close). Maybe Music Villa will do the 40% off thing too. That would be nice. I know I could sell all my stuff myself. Maybe I could sell it all locally on consignment and then buy mail order this summer. A pilgrimage to Music Villa with a car full of trade-ins in August might be good too though.

Why would you go in August when the "Homecoming" is in June? You could get a tour of the plant and meet all of the folks responsible for making your guitar as well as try it out. Music Villa has great sales going on for the "Homecoming" and you could meet a lot of folks that post here as well. The events surrounding the "Homecoming" are worth the trip. Lots of great seminars and wonderful entertainment as well as open mikes and just good pickin'.

The plant tour is worth the drive and then there are the trips to Yellowstone and the 5 blue-ribbon trout streams just outside of Bozeman. Hope to see you in Bozeman this Spring.

Get signed up now and get your room booked as this is a pretty popular place and the Motels book up fast.

Why would you go in August when the "Homecoming" is in June? You could get a tour of the plant and meet all of the folks responsible for making your guitar as well as try it out. Music Villa has great sales going on for the "Homecoming" and you could meet a lot of folks that post here as well. The events surrounding the "Homecoming" are worth the trip. Lots of great seminars and wonderful entertainment as well as open mikes and just good pickin'.

The plant tour is worth the drive and then there are the trips to Yellowstone and the 5 blue-ribbon trout streams just outside of Bozeman. Hope to see you in Bozeman this Spring.

Get signed up now and get your room booked as this is a pretty popular place and the Motels book up fast.

Would be great, but I'm not off until late July sadly! If there's any way to arrange it, I will, though. Fiancée will be with me, too. She has a pretty high tolerance for guitar stuff but I think even she might get a little bored during all my guitar-nerding. Not sure how long a trip we can even make, but the factory tour would be great and interesting for us both, and of course Yellowstone is a must.

Dave F's honey'ed Heritage 'burst image was here

Nice, Dave. Natural light quite flattering to that subtle 'burst. A middle ground between the dark bursts and the natural tops. Many years required for a top to fade to a 'pumpkin' hue. This one already looks the part.

Little Johnny, I love the look of your candied red-yellowburst. Love it, love it and love it.

All this talk reminds me of the time my dad bought us a "green" couch to go with his green carpet and his green walls (did I mention he was an Irishman living in America). I was roughly 11 years old and went with him when he picked it out. When the couch arrived, they unloaded a brown couch. It turned out the couch was indeed brown and not the green it looked under the lighting in the store. Once in awhile, the couch would give off a greenish hue in our home, but with all that other green going on, it looked brown. Provided some contrast and we kept it.

It's taken me years to accept the color green in my life again. Browns, also. Maybe it's why I loved candied red and yellow Birds.

Little Johnny, I love the look of your candied red-yellowburst. Love it, love it and love it.

All this talk reminds me of the time my dad bought us a "green" couch to go with his green carpet and his green walls (did I mention he was an Irishman living in America). I was roughly 11 years old and went with him when he picked it out. When the couch arrived, they unloaded a brown couch. It turned out the couch was indeed brown and not the green it looked under the lighting in the store. Once in awhile, the couch would give off a greenish hue in our home, but with all that other green going on, it looked brown. Provided some contrast and we kept it.

It's taken me years to accept the color green in my life again. Browns, also. Maybe it's why I loved candied red and yellow Birds.

Quite interesting story, which speaks about how much context means (and that's a lot no matter what theme or subject).

Also funny with all that greenery goin' on within the Irish home-frame. Understand why you kept the sofa - after all the green/brown combo works pretty good in the forest.

And speaking of trees, the arrow now again points toward wooden guitars.

Green btw is and always was my favourite color.

I could even play a green acoustic - where fx blue would make me go down chordless. . .

Rainbow Guitars is another 5 Star Dealer that posts the actual pictures and s/n, and the guitar they send you is the one you select. They have a couple of 'cherry' H'Birds now.

I believe The Color Red is a little strange in terms of the color spectrum and how it is perceived by the human eye. For example, if you look at the red display on your nightstand clock, the red numbers will look like they are floating. Red paint, balloons, etc. all fade more quickly. Guitars, like most things, look different depending upon the light they are in. Photos can obviously be misleading, even if it is only unintentional on the part of the photographer. Guitar Light, you noted the drab, ugly brown color of your H'Bird ... I wonder if you saw the guitar before you bought it or were looking at a picture?

I agree with ESPGNIO - I bond with my guitars after realizing I am basically color-blind when it comes to the Fifty Shades of Red. The first day I had my H'Bird, I was disappointed it wasn't redder, but then realized color wasn't the reason I bought that guitar.

And, I agree with Em7 that the variation in shading i a Big Plus. I wouldn't be as happy if the burst were spray painted by robotics and a computer program.

GuitarLight, still curious if you bought your H'bird without having seen it first? I was under the impression from your posts about it over the past year that the only problem you had with it was Gibson's use of cheap plastic pins, but now you report that - although you love the sound/tone - the drab, ugly brown color makes you sick. Mine is sort of a tobacco brown. Sort of like a fresh Camel from a new pack. Maybe honey infused bourbon viewed in sunlight through a Waterford crystal decanter. I thought red would be neat. But it helped me decide that it would be a distraction after I spent time considering how I would feel owning a Pelham Blue J45. That convinced me that bold colors were OK on electrics, but not for me on acoustics. So - are you going to trade in your H'BIrd for something else?

Quite interesting story, which speaks about how much context means (and that's a lot no matter what theme or subject).

Also funny with all that greenery goin' on within the Irish home-frame. Understand why you kept the sofa - after all the green/brown combo works pretty good in the forest.

And speaking of trees, the arrow now again points toward wooden guitars.

Green btw is and always was my favourite color.

I could even play a green acoustic - where fx blue would make me go down chordless. . .

When I was buying my first guitar, there was a transparent green Guild mahogany/spruce. I really wanted that one.

Archived