Gibson Brands Forums

modded Dot Studio

20_Gauge

I'd say just not to expect a ton of cash. I think they were selling online for around $300 US new.

Not at all a bad guitar but as you note, each of us has a different concept of how we want a neck to feel, and how we prefer the overall geometry of different sorts of guitars in comparison to our playing style.

m

I'm not. If I could get at least $100 out of it, I'd be thrilled. Fully expect to take a loss.

Yeah the guitar itself is awesome, sounds great, but the neck is too thick for my smaller hands. Even my guitar guy(a local recording artist) had difficulty playin it.

Funny thing with the 335 shape and geometry.

To me, the Epi regular Dot nut feels narrower and the neck feels fatter.

A bit of messing around and feedback to Epiphone, all was to spec and - not even that much different from the LP.

So... what's wrong?

Turns out that the shape of the instrument lends itself to reaching farther with the fretting hand if one holds it as one would hold an LP, 175, even an SG. It's that reach that does it. So, if one tilts the neck upward a bit to maintain the same geometry as on other necks, it feels right. Then again, some folks wanna play with a given "appearance" that makes it more difficult.

m

Funny thing with the 335 shape and geometry.

To me, the Epi regular Dot nut feels narrower and the neck feels fatter.

A bit of messing around and feedback to Epiphone, all was to spec and - not even that much different from the LP.

So... what's wrong?

Turns out that the shape of the instrument lends itself to reaching farther with the fretting hand if one holds it as one would hold an LP, 175, even an SG. It's that reach that does it. So, if one tilts the neck upward a bit to maintain the same geometry as on other necks, it feels right. Then again, some folks wanna play with a given "appearance" that makes it more difficult.

m

Interesting info.

That might be why it's not my favorite to play. I'm not real comfortable playing with the neck tilted up. I guess I'm in the "appearance" group. Been trying to get comfortable playin it as I would my Tele or Acoustic.

If you check out some old Chuck Berry pix... BB King pix... Chet pix, Freddie King, etc., you'll see these masters of that shape almost inevitably holding it thataway unless in some cases they're way up the neck. It's also interesting to me to see pix and vids of Joe Pass holding the 175 with even more of an angle.

m

I'm not. If I could get at least $100 out of it, I'd be thrilled. Fully expect to take a loss.

Yeah the guitar itself is awesome, sounds great, but the neck is too thick for my smaller hands. Even my guitar guy(a local recording artist) had difficulty playin it.

I'd ask 200 that way you have room to negotiate. you would definitely be able to get at least 100.

• 1 month later...

Well my ec-10 sold over Christmas. I let the guys at the shop know that I'd be bringing in my Dot to sell.

Now that I've played awhile, I think I'm comfortable sayin I've determined the guitars in my comfort zone: Acoustics, Vintage(7.25 neck) Tele's/Strats, Les Pauls).

Archived