Gibson Brands Forums

Help with cleaning products and accessories for my new J-45

fumblefingers

Hi friends. I wash my hands before I play my guitar, but I've noticed the neck is getting a little bit of a funkiness to it, kind of grimy, so it needs to be cleaned. What's the best way to clean it, and with what products? I'm wondering if there's a good kit I should buy, or perhaps a cotton washcloth and some home remedy will be better. Just want to wipe it down.

Also, my strings are already turning my fingers black. Not sure what kind of strings Gibson uses. Could use some suggestions on string cleaner, too. Also am open to some suggestions on large variety packs of guitar picks (I learned to play without a pick, but am starting to use one), and maybe something to cover up these rubber cushions on my guitar stand which can be damaging to the guitar's finish. I'm not able to use it yet until I find something. Seems stupid to design stands which mess up the finish.

Gibson's regular pump polish is good for removing the sweat residue from both the neck and the top where your strumming arm rests. You can just use water also. I use cotton cloth diapers as polish towels because they are soft and cheap. For stands you can use anything cotton, those same diapers work fine. If you want something more form fitting there is a product you can find online called the stand bra. They are like a fuzzy cover that will go over the foam. The stands are usually safe as they are as long as you don't leave it on for too long, but I don't blame you for not taking a chance. As for picks, they are cheap enough to try just about everything. You will lose them before you wear them out most likely. Oh, I forgot to mention that when you polish, no matter what you use, spray the towel not the guitar itself.

Take an old clean cotton t-shirt, cut it so you have a rag of only one thickness, pass it under the strings at the sound hole, and run it up under the strings, to clean the fretboard a bit, and then once again with pressure under the strings, all the way to the nut, working the cloth up and down the strings near the areas most played, and side to side. You will probably see dark streaks from the strings with the detris that just collects there due to normal play. Take the clean side of the cloth and wipe the outside of the strings. This may help avoid getting black fingers, maybe not.

I use a slightly damp rag to wipe down the guitar every week or so. Every string change I use Virtuoso polish. On the fretboard I again uses a nice damp cloth... More like wet but not dripping. On my guitar stands, only one of which has affected any of my guitars finishes, I use a ripped portion of a white cotton T.

Picks? I like the translucent yellow 1mm Dunlop picks... I think Tortex is the name.Capos I have many. Paige, Elliott, Shubb, and the new planet waves aluminum ones.

Hi friends. I wash my hands before I play my guitar, but I've noticed the neck is getting a little bit of a funkiness to it, kind of grimy, so it needs to be cleaned. What's the best way to clean it, and with what products? I'm wondering if there's a good kit I should buy, or perhaps a cotton washcloth and some home remedy will be better. Just want to wipe it down.

Also, my strings are already turning my fingers black. Not sure what kind of strings Gibson uses. Could use some suggestions on string cleaner, too. Also am open to some suggestions on large variety packs of guitar picks (I learned to play without a pick, but am starting to use one), and maybe something to cover up these rubber cushions on my guitar stand which can be damaging to the guitar's finish. I'm not able to use it yet until I find something. Seems stupid to design stands which mess up the finish.

I'll try and may I be the first to say I'm not an expert by any means and like many others I'm only learning this stuff as I'm going.

For cleaning I like to use a tiny bit of liter fluid on a clean rag and wipe off the dirt with each use. This seems to be the best way to prevent clouding or those patches of hairline scratches that like to show up where your forearm will rest. Same goes for the neck but I personally am not as concerned about scratches as much there as say the top. I'll polish the guitar during string changes, the best polish I've used so far has been Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. For me it's been the easiest to apply and the easiest to maintain, the Gibson pump polish looks nice after a thorough buffing but for me it smudges very easily. It could be the natural oils in my skin but the only way my guitars work well with the Gibson stuff is if I don't use them. That said I found the restorative cream can go a long way towards cleaning up a stubborn clouded area. As for a washcloth as I said I just use clean rags, if you buy a special wash cloth test it in a place that won't be so obvious... I didn't do that and ended up with a fine scratch to buff out of my top after buying a "premium" chamois. Don't be surprised if the neck gets sticky for quite some time, it just seems to happen on a new nitro guitar from my experience. Over time the finish will harder and you'll rarely notice it.

As for the rest, I change the strings as soon as I get a new guitar. I use Elixir's so black stuff on my fingers is a non issue, same goes for wiping them off with a string cleaner as they last so long. I primarily use a thumbpick (Fred Kelly Delrin Slick Pick) and when I do use a flatpick I like the Gibson one that came with my Songwriter. I don't know where to find them besides buying another Gibson. [biggrin]

And finally I suppose you could use a clean cloth or sock to cover the rubber ends on your stand. Personally I'd recommend keeping your guitar in it's case when it's not being used... a quick Google search using the terms "Gibson broken headstock" should be enough to scare anyone out of using one.

Anyway that's what I do, seems to work on the three I have.

Wow!

Who needs a forum when all your questions are answered in one thread!

It all depends on how much you play and where...as soon as you play anywhere under lights, all bets are off - everything gets sticky and grubby. If you are playing at home, keep it in the case, wipe it over with a cloth every time you pack up. I have a couple of 100% thick cotton t-shirts handy - (Fruit- o-the-loom work nice). My dog knows the sound of me wiping over the guitar when I'm finished and gets ready to go out! I often trick him by changing guitars and playing some more...too smart for his own good that hound.

From this forum, I got onto Virtuoso Polish and Cleaner - magnificent! The polish has a bit of cleaning stuff in it, great for a quick touch clean, but the Cleaner is for old guitars that have been lying in the mud out near the barn.....

BluesKing777.

I rarely use any kind of polish or cleaner - just a cotton rag or cheesecloth slightly dampened with distilled water. When I do need a cleaner such as when I got hold of my Regal 12 string which was found in a trash can I use the Virtuoso cleaner and polish. I also use a bore oil (the same thing as Fret Doctor) on the fingerboard but again sparingly. On strings, they will all turn your fingers black when new. About the only thing I do is wipe them down after a long session.

Archived