Gibson Brands Forums

Godin Arch Tops

SteveFord

I'm plotting my next move and it's either going to be a Martin D28-12 or an arch top.

Does anyone have any experience with the Godin line? I like the fact that they're not made in China but are they cheapies, great, suck, middle of the road?

I'm guessing that they're comparable to the Seagull acoustics but I'm looking for some hands on feedback before I make the trek to Wally World Guitar Center.

Godin have a very good name in the midi guitar world as the RMC piezo bridge is considered superior (by some) to the various alternatives. I do not personally own one.

But midi guitar has never caught on with the vast majority of guitar players (I don't know why but I presume it is just another layer of complication). However, many like the guitars nevertheless and praise the fat necks and wider fretboards which are usually ebony.

I'm plotting my next move and it's either going to be a Martin D28-12 or an arch top.

Does anyone have any experience with the Godin line? I like the fact that they're not made in China but are they cheapies, great, suck, middle of the road?

I'm guessing that they're comparable to the Seagull acoustics but I'm looking for some hands on feedback before I make the trek to Wally World Guitar Center.

I have played both the 5th Avenue Jazz and the Kingpin. Very nice instruments, play really well. For the money they are very well made, I prefer them over Ibanez instruments of same value. Workmanship is very good as well. Godin makes nice instruments. The only thing I do not like are thr Tric cases, as the hinges are just glued on. Though the cases come covered in canvas now and should be an improvement.

I've played a lot Of Godins at local shops and my son owns a LaPatrie Collection Classical. LaPatrie is their classical line of guitars. It's a really nice guitar. I too like their archtop/Fifth Ave. models and have been tempted to pick one up. Gotta love that they're built in Canada and their quality is superb. The other maker I have been watching is Loar. They have some cool archtop acoustics that are modeled after classic Gibsons like the ES125 models (i.e. Loar LH-309 or LH-319). These are made in China and from the reviews I've seen the quality is hit or miss from guitar to guitar. The two I tried out were ok. Not great, but ok. The other choice for me is to watch for a decent vintage ES125 or similar model since they do show up from time to time for less than $1000.

Satisfied 5th Avenue Kingpin owner here... [thumbup]

A jam session friend also has one...both ebony... [thumbup]

A versatile, well made instrument with a 'P90' -esque sound

Were very cheap when first released...now a bit more 'par' in the market

Recommended and non Oriental...if that is in any way important... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Godin have a very good name in the midi guitar world as the RMC piezo bridge is considered superior (by some) to the various alternatives.

John Mclaughlin used a Godin MIDI guitar on several fine trio albums from the late 80s thru the 90s, e.g. 'Live At The Festival Hall'....others have caught up, now there's modelling too but they were the standard for over a decade....

I've also received a recommendation for Prestige guitars out of Canada but it'll take some hunting around to try their models out. They have a funny manufacturing set up where the wood gets sent to Korea, they get the basic guitar back and then finish it up in Canada.

I have other things to take care of first but an arch top or simply a big hollow body is on my list of things to do. I'll probably end up with a 70s ES-150DC but I'd like to poke around a little bit first to see what's out there. I did have an old ES-125 many years ago but I just never really got too attached to it and it left with an old girl friend.

Godin have a very good name in the midi guitar world as the RMC piezo bridge is considered superior (by some) to the various alternatives.

But midi guitar has never caught on with the vast majority of guitar players (I don't know why but I presume it is just another layer of complication).

If someone were to come up with a decent, affordable, transcribe-as-you-play program, midi would become a lot more popular.

Funny, that. Radio Shack had a Tandy model back in the early '90s that would do just that, out of the box + microphone, no midi needed.

If I were in the market for one in that price range, I would love to try Godin. Some of them are gorgeous.

If someone were to come up with a decent, affordable, transcribe-as-you-play program, midi would become a lot more popular.

Funny, that. Radio Shack had a Tandy model back in the early '90s that would do just that, out of the box + microphone, no midi needed.

If I were in the market for one in that price range, I would love to try Godin. Some of them are gorgeous.

The non-hex pickup midi options are a long way from being viable. The best at the moment is jamorigin and it is not viable as a live play option.

The Fishman Triple Play wireless midi option does indeed offer a "transcribe-as-you-play" option via its bundled software. And it is certainly "decent" with very low latency and high accuracy. Whether or not it is "affordable" is relative. Not sure of the cost in the States (be a lot cheaper than the UK) but worth exploring.

I am too committed to the 13pin system re Roland and Axon to go the Fishman route for the time being. The Axon system was the model for the Fishman Triple Play so also offers low latency and high accuracy.

The non-hex pickup midi options are a long way from being viable. The best at the moment is jamorigin and it is not viable as a live play option.

The Fishman Triple Play wireless midi option does indeed offer a "transcribe-as-you-play" option via its bundled software. And it is certainly "decent" with very low latency and high accuracy. Whether or not it is "affordable" is relative. Not sure of the cost in the States (be a lot cheaper than the UK) but worth exploring.

I am too committed to the 13pin system re Roland and Axon to go the Fishman route for the time being. The Axon system was the model for the Fishman Triple Play so also offers low latency and high accuracy.

Thanks for that info, Pin. I'll have to check into it.

Archived