Gibson Brands Forums

They're making it too easy

Cougar

Semi affordable, solid woods, 1.75" nut, a/e. Is there a good Gibbie alternative in that range?

I don't know, not a giant fan of Gibson acoustics. Nut width doesn't bother me, so I don't know that. I do know the handful of that OMCP4 guitar that I've played were somewhat underwhelming for a Martin. I owned a Sapele bodied Taylor and it was a good day when I lost my shirt in a trade, just to get rid of it. If it's the rosewood one, the few of those I've tried were just ok for rosewood guitars. I guess the a/e thing if you need that. Just curious, there are other "solid wood" Martins that are not that Sapele stuff for the same money, even less if you don't need a/e.

rct

Sub-prime is sub-prime. Ford has been lending to people with credit scores in the 400's. That's not "good credit." We are still smack dab in the middle of a credit bubble.

If you are interested Google "New debt crisis fear: Subprime auto loans" and read about how Wall St. is right back in the thick of things with "auto loan backed securities." These people are nothing more than financial terrorists.

What is "sub-prime"? PRIME is sub-prime right now.

The most responsible person with money you will find has no credit cards , doesn't make payements and doesn't owe money. What is THAT guy's credit score?

...there are other "solid wood" Martins that are not that Sapele stuff for the same money, even less if you don't need a/e.

Oh great, now I've got more research to do! lol. Yeah, the nut width is a real limiter. I should just work on my technique more and get comfortable with 1-11/16. I measured the nut on one of my other guitars the other day and was confronted with the fact that we're talking about 1/16" here! It's amazing that makes much difference at all (though it certainly seems to).

Oh great, now I've got more research to do! lol. Yeah, the nut width is a real limiter. I should just work on my technique more and get comfortable with 1-11/16. I measured the nut on one of my other guitars the other day and was confronted with the fact that we're talking about 1/16" here! It's amazing that makes much difference at all (though it certainly seems to).

Well, nut width importance diminishes over time I think, to where it isn't a thought anymore, you just adapt. Otherwise, nobody would have dozens of different guitars. Yes, 1&11/16th or 1&3/4, that's their two nut sizes. Not a whole lot.

rct

...Although I will admit that Sweetwater makes it a little less painful by offering 36 Months interest free (or 24 or 18 depending upon the current promotional offering)....

Longer plans make for easier monthly payments, but you're obviously "tied down" longer. zZ's 8 months would work fine for me. It's just the damn IRS estimated tax payment coming up in January that makes an interest-free "loan" so appealing - I wouldn't have to wait till I've got together the full amount. They have to wait for the full amount. BTW, I pay off my card every month, so no added interest on that end.

What is "sub-prime"? PRIME is sub-prime right now.

The most responsible person with money you will find has no credit cards , doesn't make payements and doesn't owe money. What is THAT guy's credit score?

I am that person. I have no credit cards, I owe money to nobody with the exception of monthly bills like cell phone, power, trash, cable/internet. Instead of financing some overpriced McMansion, I purchased small acreage for cash and am building a very modest abode while I live in my 5th wheel. I have everything I need, and feel as if I live like a king. I'm sure it wouldn't impress most ladies, but those aren't the kind I like anyhow. I don't even know what my credit score is because I don't need to know. Probably wouldn't qualify for anything, but I couldn't care less. I don't need to borrow money.

there are other "solid wood" Martins that are not that Sapele stuff for the same money

A little research on sapele/mahogany/rosewood...

There are lots of different mahoganys:

Honduran and Cuban are the lightest/least dense at 37 lb/ft

African is 40 lb/ft

So. Mexico is much more dense at 57 lb/ft

and "mountain" mahogany is way up there at 69 lb/ft

Sapele is 42 lb/ft3

Indian Rosewood is 53 lb/ft3

I expect wood density is just one factor. The specific growth/grain characteristics being another....

As to Sweetwater and price matching "low price guarantee" etc. they do not advertise that they will be the lowest price or match any other deal. However I purchased a guitar from them and we did haggle some and I got it for quite a bit less than the advertised price. Not sure if that would be the case with a financed purchase (I paid cash), but it's worth a try.

Archived