Gibson Brands Forums

G-Force/Mini-E-Tune question

Jimi Mac

I suspect I might just be able to find the answer to this question with actually reading some info about the product, but In know a couple guys in here have personal experience with them so I thought I'd toss it out here...

I was always taught never to tune down to a note, always tune down below so that you end up tuning up to the pitch you want to insure tune stability and that you don't leave any tension slack in the tuning mechanism that could simply settle-out causing the string tune to go flat...

Do these auto-tuners do that? Do they tune below if they find themselves sharp so that they end up tuning up to the proper pitch?

Not that I'm in the market to purchase a guitar that has one of these gizmos, either financially or ideologically...

Like I said, just curious and I wonder if they don't how that effects tuning stability...

I also wonder if it's also just an old wives tail about never tuning down to a note because suddenly I can't get my head around the physics of tension being any different by tuning down...

It was what I was taught and it's stuck with me for decades of tradition...

I think mostly, it's a matter of slack.

If you have a perfectly slippery nut and/or bridge that doesn't bind in the slightest, and tuners with no backlash at all, in thoery, you should be able to tune down without consequence.

I tried a couple in the shop, 2015 models, and I thought they were neat. But they did go out of tune every time I did a string bend. But, I blame that on the nut, not the tuners.

Guest Farnsbarns

No such thing as zero lash in a worm drive. Always tune up with worm drive tuners (almost all manual tuners). I believe I remember a discussion about the min-etune that suggested they do tune down. That said, they aren't worm and wheel so far less lash I should think.

OK, I think it is coming back to me now and maybe there was mention of physical lash/lag in the tuner head gear so it does make sense to tune up to a note for tune stability...

But I am curious on how the gizmo's do it, if they tune down below and tune up to or if the simply tune down or up depending upon current place in comparison...

Archived