Gibson Brands Forums

To Gibson - Strap Locks

Plank_Spanker

To the makers of the finest guitars on the planet,

Why, oh why, have you not included a locking strap system with your Les Pauls? The existing strap pegs are a disaster waiting to happen - and luthiers around the world are making money on broken headstocks and necks.

To me, it's a "no brainer". You folks build the best, so why not build in a little protection for it?

Sorry, but the factory strap pegs are a joke...........................

To the makers of the finest guitars on the planet' date='

Why, oh why, have you not included a locking strap system with your Les Pauls? The existing strap pegs are a disaster waiting to happen - and luthiers around the world are making money on broken headstocks and necks.

To me, it's a "no brainer". You folks build the best, so why not build in a little protection for it?

Sorry, but the factory strap pegs are a joke...........................[/quote']

I put them on all my guitars. Well except the SG, they're too long.

My GT has strap locks, and I picked up the same strap locks to put on my other les paul, but the screws are different, leaving me worried i'll split the wood.

Pretty much i'll only take the GT out with me live because of the strap locks.

I put them on all my guitars. Well except the SG, they're too long.

You can take the Gibson screws, put them in a drill and turn them down until they fit the straplocks. Then add some white glue when you put the screws back in. They should still fit, but don't ovetighten them and strip the threads already cut in the wood. The white glue will fill in the difference and you'll have a good fit.

If im in a pinch' date=' I put the little clip thingy from a loaf of bread

on after the strap. It holds rather well.[/quote']

You mean the 'Kwik Lok'? Invented and produced right here in Yakima WA! hehe.

I think most players don't require a lock for the strap. I know if you invest in a nice strap, it's harder than hell to get them on the guitar in the first place. Good leather takes a long time to stretch....

Myself... I like to move around a bit, so I just spent the $20 for the Dunlop system. Works great, screws were the same size and it works great!

It'll probably be one of those "customer mods" that never really find their way onto new guitars. A lot of guys have a hundred straps for five guitars. When one wears, they just replace it.

Schallers are the best... just use your original gibson screws and youll be fine. I dont like dunlops because you have to push them to free the guitar, and so, can easyly set them loose by accident... in schallers you have to pull the pin to free the guitar, and there's no easy way to do that by accident...

• 1 year later...

Try to do a search in the forums. The subject has been covered many times. I think Neo (NeoConMan) has a link in his signature line to his website where he has made a guide with pictures and all.

EDIT: Just checked. Neo doesn't have the link in his signature anymore. Do the search, maybe he's posted the link in one of the earlier posts.

Try to do a search in the forums. The subject has been covered many times. I think Neo (NeoConMan) has a link in his signature line to his website where he has made a guide with pictures and all.

EDIT: Just checked. Neo doesn't have the link in his signature anymore. Do the search' date=' maybe he's posted the link in one of the earlier posts.[/quote']

Thanks for the info.

one of the links, perhaps the one neoconman had also shows him using small rubber washers from the plumbing section of most hardware stores instead of felt washers. I noticed that somehow the felt washer i had on my guitar had reacted with the nitro. it hadn't spread and was still just under the straplock but jeez. i replaced it with the rubber washers, looks great and doesn't mar the finish.

i can't find the link here either but i'll post it up if i find it. works great. total cost was maybe $1.80USD for two washers and two of the correct stainless screws, i spent about 20 minutes finding the right stuff and bought about 10 sets so i'd have supplies for the next several years [lol]

To the makers of the finest guitars on the planet' date='

Sorry, but the factory strap pegs are a joke...........................[/quote']

I couldn't agree more with this post. About a year ago i came into some money and decided to buy myself a new R9 only to find the strap pegs were a joke. I also bought a Fender P bass for my friend and was amazed to find that his bass (which was less than half the price of my R9) came with a pair of schallers in the manufacturers pack. Seems like a joke to me considering how much it would cost Gibson to do this.

My Tele came with Schallers.

I bought Schallers for my LP and as mentioned the heads on the original screws were too big. I used the screws that came with the Schallers but they kept backing out. So, I used a little wood glue in the hole and on the screw and they stay tight now.

I tried to find other screws at the hardware store but couldn't find one with a smal enough head to fit the Schaller. BTW, the LP's come with a size 6 screw.

I have changed all of my buttons out to Schallers. Most all Gibsond come with a #8 wood screw up near the neck & a #10 wood screw on the bottom. Buy some screws at HD or Lowes and turn the heads down on a belt sander or grinder. Works like a charm.

Archived