Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting acquisition today

ksdaddy

About 20 years ago (or more) a repair showed up at the pawn shop for me. Some crazy tweed lady dropped off a handmade 12 string with a broken wooden tailpiece. I fixed it and it lasted maybe a year. The pawn shop owner claimed to know who made it and called him for a new tailpiece. It was sent but it was different. I can't recall the details but it wouldn't work at all. It ended up with a brass bracket and I honestly don't remember making it. I may have, I may NOT have, I honestly don't know.

Fast forward to about 2006 or 2007, the 12 string ended up at a music store in another town. I stumbled upon it when going through a back room on the way to the bathroom. I thought, cripes, THAT thing won't go away.

Last week it came up in conversation that the guitar still existed. Apparently the crazy tweed lady never came back for it and the business closed. The store's lease was taken over by someone else and there was some scattered and various inventory here and there. The guitar ended up hanging on a nail in a hunting camp for a few years.

I mentioned it to the current owner and today he gave it to me for Christmas!

I was able to remember the name of the guy who built it; or close enough to google it anyway:

http://www.nikosapollonio.com/index.html

Here is mine. It needs work. Someone oversprayed the sides and back with clear spray can lacquer. The mandolin style frets are popping up left and right, the neck angle isn't great and the action is high. It will be a challenge and I will need to un-rustify myself, as I haven't done much for repairs lately.

10ie25c.jpg

This is very similar to the one used by Godon Bok:

newfrontimage.jpg

portland-press-herald_3618599.jpg

This is very similar to the one used by Godon Bok:

newfrontimage.jpg

portland-press-herald_3618599.jpg

Okay, I've been smitten with Gordon Bok's music since hearing him on the Folk Legacy label possibly 40 years ago...("I'll haul down the sails where the bays run together, bide away the days on the hills of Isle au Haut...")

And now I need to hear this guitar, sir. If it's from that builder, then I'd expect it to have some serious folk songs lurking within.

("Do you hear what the sails are saying, in the wind's dark song? Give sadness to the wind, blown alee and gone.")

Archived