Gibson Brands Forums

My Texan vs my AJ-220S

cliffenstein

I want to begin this by saying that I am glad to own both guitars. The AJ looks great and has been fun personalizing and whatnot.

While my Texan was in the shop, I was playing my AJ and then my AJ went in the shop and I had my Texan back. Now I have them both in hand and have been playing them both a lot...and comparing them.

Are they really the same guitar? No. Does a solid back make that much of a difference? Yes.

The Texan feels way more substantial than the AJ does. The Texan has a stronger, more resonate, more defined sound. The tone is also more dry and woody, much more "Gibsonesque" than the AJ is.

In fact, I would even say that my Texan feels, sounds and plays exactly like a Gibson. Every time I play a Gibson in store it's like I'm playing my Texan.

I was quite happy with my AJ220 cutaway AE overall. I gave it to a friend whose kids had taken over the "family guitars" with orders that she get back to pickin' - and she promised.

I mostly find myself playing smaller instruments and 99 percent of the time playing out, they're plugged in.

So I dunno. The AJ wasn't as physically comfortable for me as even my PR5e that I reeeeally like regardless that it's all "plywood." It's really nice "plywood" and played through an amp or board, sounds really nice to me.

The bigger boxes - I'll likely keep my Masterbuilt AJ500me until I croak - are fine for what they are, I just don't use 'em that much.

I'd likely get an all-wood, 24 3/4 scale version of a PR5e in a minute if it were available.

But overall, I think the 220 is as good as about anything if properly set up for a player's style and controls at performance are similarly matched to the player's style. Nothing against the Texan or Gibson slopes, either. It's kinda like the closing "gunfight" comment in the movie "Quigley Down Under," it's not that I don't know how to use one, it's that I seldom have use for the big box.

m

Milod,

Both guitars were set up for my style...I even paid for a full fret dressing on the AJ to take it the "extra mile." It is a true and proper A-B comparison test between both of these specific guitars. Each has the same strings (both stock). They both have bone nuts and saddles and the same hands are playing the same songs on each guitar.

It's kinda like the closing "gunfight" comment in the movie "Quigley Down Under," it's not that I don't know how to use one, it's that I seldom have use for the big box.

Haha! Love that line. Great movie.

Thanks for the reviews, Cliffenstein.

I can see that.

I play acoustic only at home most of the time, but "out," it's always plugged in, whichever my choice of guitar for a given time/place.

I'm not going to give up my AJ500me anytime soon because it's most likely of all my guitars to be played at various sorts of jams and such that are just folks pickin' mostly old country/cowboy stuff.

But about anything else, I'm plugged in regardless of which instrument I'm using, flattop, archtop... whatever.

I've a hunch that has something to do with how I look at stuff. That PR5e isn't much of a guitar in some ways, but on a "cowboy" gig, even solo fingerpickin' "jazz," it's aok - better even than that - whether Misty, Last Steam Engine Train or Nightrider's Lament.

m

Have recently played a AJ220s. It was an ex-demo at the same place I got my IB Texan. It was ok, but I wasn't blown away. Nothing for me is really gonna come close to my Texan. Whilst there I tried a J29 and 35 both really nice, but again wouldn't swap my old girl for them.

However was very impressed with an EL00 Pro. Great for blues and picking. Stuck her in DADF#AD and she really cooked. Really good projection and with a bit of bark and snarl. Just can't justify it to Mrs Revolver.....ah well!

Archived