Gibson Brands Forums

My amazing Gibby 12-String find!!!!

duane v

Well my Gibson 12-String found it's way home for Christmas..... I'm still in disbelief I found a custom made Gibson Acoustic for only $1000.

first the guitar is flawless: No scratches, no dings... No nothing... If the strings weren't old, I could be told it's brand new, and I wouldn't know the wiser, other than the serial number giving it away.... Even the case is in fantastic shape. The serial number on the back of the head-stock is ink stamped, which was very surprising.

IMG_7071_zps8574b7aa.jpg

IMG_7075_zps3e248bdd.jpg

IMG_7073_zpsc2c64ff1.jpg

IMG_7081_zps820ca4fd.jpg

IMG_7077_zpsdc5c9f17.jpg

Totally keeping us in suspense here. That's wrong.

How does she sound?

She sounds timbery and dark.... She needs new strings, but very very clear.... You can tell by looking at the body it's been subjected to a humid environment, but a little dry SoCal weather and it will be fine

So do tell.

Why the incredibly low price on a flawless Gibson acoustic?

Smells of cat pee?

Formerly owned by Saul Hudson?

Pick guard on?

The lady that sold it to me had no clue what she had.... Gibson Boseman and Nashville Gibson CS confirmed it's authentic.... Here's what Gibson CS sent me;

It's not in the books as an official "B-45-12", just a custom ordered "dreadnought 12 stg", shipped 1/25/2001.

She sounds timbery and dark.... She needs new strings, but very very clear.... You can tell by looking at the body it's been subjected to a humid environment, but a little dry SoCal weather and it will be fine

Perhaps...for me, moving from So Cal to Portland OR I noticed most of my guitars got a little brighter sounding. I kinda attribute that to mean a little more humidity made them that way. It's not like they got really wet or anything.

But yea, dead strings, especially bronze/brass, old will be dead for sure.

To me, thing is, I find nearly all 12 stringers to be on the bright side, and also maybe on the "confused" side as far as harmonic character. The fact that mostly what I see and hear are Taylors and the like doesn't help with that perception.

BUT- to me, what separates Gibby's from the rest, Gibby's usually have more of a focused voice. More of a voice than a tone. As opposed to a treble and bass separation, or a certain clarity. So, I kinda picture in my sonic mind's eye that a guitar with more "voice" than "clarity" would lend better to a 12 string.

Besides all of the great deal you got and the great price, this guitar is a rare beast.

Since obviously I won't be able to play one, let alone find one, let alone find one at a price I might buy, I have to live through you for a bit.

You owe me.

Duane,

proof positive that good things happen to good people.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Great score.

Awe thanks Caliman.... Well actually it will be "Idahoman" now [biggrin]

Congrats on the new pad, and you have a great holidays as well [thumbup]

Got a 1968 B-45-12-n my dad left me when he died. Yours is in GREAT shape, I bet it sounds sweet.077_zpsa3dba517.jpg

A piece of your pops to strum [thumbup] ..... There's no way my guitar could ever compare to your B45.... I had my pals 62 B45 for a couple of weeks and that instrument had one heck of a tone... It was temperamental but it sure loved to sound good

Well my Gibson 12-String found it's way home for Christmas..... I'm still in disbelief I found a custom made Gibson Acoustic for only $1000.

first the guitar is flawless: No scratches, no dings... No nothing... If the strings weren't old, I could be told it's brand new, and I wouldn't know the wiser, other than the serial number giving it away.... Even the case is in fantastic shape. The serial number on the back of the head-stock is ink stamped, which was very surprising.

IMG_7071_zps8574b7aa.jpg

IMG_7075_zps3e248bdd.jpg

IMG_7073_zpsc2c64ff1.jpg

IMG_7081_zps820ca4fd.jpg

IMG_7077_zpsdc5c9f17.jpg

$1000 ???!!?? [scared]

Respect.

Archived