Gibson Brands Forums

Im really excited about tomorrow

Rabs

So I know this probably wont mean too much to you....

But tomorrow im meeting up with a good friend of mine for a curry (hmmmm, curry :)) and then hes coming back to mine.. Now why is this exciting.. Cos hes a guitarist, and hes been playing for at least as long as me (and is better than me) and hes going to come and try my first three fully finished and working RabsWood guitars....

NO one else has played them but me so far and im so excited to see what he has to say, and hes a VERY honest person so will really let me know what he thinks.

Well I just had to share that :)

So I know this probably wont mean too much to you....

But tomorrow im meeting up with a good friend of mine for a curry (hmmmm, curry :)) and then hes coming back to mine.. Now why is this exciting.. Cos hes a guitarist, and hes been playing for at least as long as me (and is better than me) and hes going to come and try my first three fully finished and working RabsWood guitars....

NO one else has played them but me so far and im so excited to see what he has to say, and hes a VERY honest person so will really let me know what he thinks.

Well I just had to share that :)

Rabs,

Good Luck with the day tomorrow. In truly hope all goes well.

Perhaps a little jam session to put your new builds to the test?

Be Well and All The Best,

MississippiBlue

Rabs,

Good Luck with the day tomorrow. In truly hope all goes well.

Perhaps a little jam session to put your new builds to the test?

Be Well and All The Best,

MississippiBlue

Cheers man..

And yeah, we will see... Hes a bit camera shy and it may be a bit late for jamming by the time we get home but maybe I will get a snippet or two ;)

Either way, I actually have a proper jam session planned for about the 7th Jan.. And I will certainly video that [thumbup] ( cant wait, its been a long time coming :))..

Cheers man..

And yeah, we will see... Hes a bit camera shy and it may be a bit late for jamming by the time we get home but maybe I will get a snippet or two ;)

Either way, I actually have a proper jam session planned for about the 7th Jan.. And I will certainly video that [thumbup] ( cant wait, its been a long time coming :))..

Right on Man,

Can't wait to see it.

Blues in the key of E....

Enjoy Man and props to the Rabswood Guitars!

Be Well,

MississippiBlue

Best of luck to you

Thank you sir..

And well no luck really needed... I feel fairly confident about it all and he is a very good old friend of mine, so no real pressure :) (apart from the ones my jeans will be under after the curry :D)

You lost me at " meeting for a curry" :unsure: is that like meeting for drinks or dinner?

"Meeting for a curry" is an english expression that goes back to the days of the glorious empire including India.

Diplomats, businessmen and soldiers stationed in India brought back a taste for curry and native folk who knew how to prepare it.

So "meeting for a curry" is to meet at an Indian restaurant for a curry dinner.

Now aren't you glad to know this.

Rabs. Your friend will complement your fine craftsmanship, I'm sure.

Guest Farnsbarns

Rabs, you posted this at half 3 in the morning. Firstly, you party animal, never sleep? Secondly, when you said tomorrow you must have meant today? I hope you have a good time. I'm still waiting to find out when I get to try one!?!?

"Meeting for a curry" is an english expression that goes back to the days of the glorious empire including India.

Diplomats, businessmen and soldiers stationed in India brought back a taste for curry and native folk who knew how to prepare it.

So "meeting for a curry" is to meet at an Indian restaurant for a curry dinner.

Now aren't you glad to know this.

Rabs. Your friend will complement your fine craftsmanship, I'm sure.

Fantastic, thanks for the background on the meaning.

Rabs, you posted this at half 3 in the morning. Firstly, you party animal, never sleep? Secondly, when you said tomorrow you must have meant today? I hope you have a good time. I'm still waiting to find out when I get to try one!?!?

Lol... party animal... Hardly :)

Im just a proper night owl, always have been and cos I live alone I can do what I want when I want.. So I do :)

And yes as soon as I confirm a rehearsal room it will be on...

And thanks all.. I will try and record him but I know he will fight that.. if not I will give a written review of what he thinks :) (yes I did mean today and not Sunday)

You lost me at " meeting for a curry" :unsure: is that like meeting for drinks or dinner?

Haha, yes... As been mentioned.. Curry is a national dish... And usually they do sell beer (Cobra).

The place I am going to tonight is awesome, its the oldest curry house in Essex.. Put it this way, my parents used to go there when they were dating :)

I brought back from the "Raffles" a taste for 4 o'clock drinks!

Bottoms up chaps!

So it happened...

Curry :)

DSC_0787_zpsdc733b90.jpg

DSC_0788_zps43acb855.jpg

Then he tried my guitars.. I did try to get him on video but every time I started recording he would stop or muck up lol... And the footage I did get you couldn't hear properly anyway cos I was using my phone...

Anyway... So he really liked them... (he has a Strat, a LPM and a Jackson super strat type)... And he confirmed some of my own thoughts which was cool...

The one things he did mention was that on the neck heal of my guitars which I purposely made them a bit thicker than you get on say a LP and the hump where the head and body join, he reckons isn't terrible but may get in the way a bit for people mainly playing chords on the beginning of the board... And said that from say frets 1-5 the profile could be a bit slimmer.

You can see here I put two next to one of my LPs

DSC_0795_zpsfa779ce5.jpg

And that was the most negative thing said... The greatest bit for me what when I asked about the action of the guitars.. And his response was " I hadn't even noticed anything, so yes it feels great, it feels like my Les Paul ":D which was cool...

Cos that's really what im going for.. Something different but yet when you play them they are familiar enough that a player doesn't notice much difference between playing one of my guitars or their Fender or LPs...

He preferred the Hammer shaped ones (the more LP shaped one) to the Arrow one he tried.. and said that the Arrow shape felt to him a bit like an SG to play in regards to neck position (which I don't get personally)...

Well that was one persons thoughts anyway.. So a good start :D I hope to get some more opinions soon.. Also he plays in a band and said that next time he has a jam with them I can come down and bring my guitars for them to try out.. So that's all good [thumbup]

And on a side note he brought his Fender around as he wanted me to look at the electrics (hes getting some crackle) which some of you may like.. Its a 1985 Japanese built Strat with a SD Hot Rails pup in the bridge position.

DSC_0813_zps2d80b2ab.jpg

DSC_0808_zps0532725b.jpg

It sounds like you're on the right track with the guitars.

Have you considered a volute like on the older Gibsons and a lot of the acoustics?

Yup, I was pretty happy... But I need more opinions....

Then I may make some design changes on the next few I build... Depending on what other feedback I get...

Also I am quite friendly with a few guys at a local guitar shop so I will take it there too and see what they think. All exciting stuff [thumbup]

He also liked my Slash amp quite a lot :)

Archived