Gibson Brands Forums

Track On My '64 Gibson 12 String

BluesKing777

After reading a few threads on 12 strings in the last few days, I decided today was '12 string day'....(guilt for...).

So, a quick (Ha!) tune up, a practice, put on my Shubb 12 string capo and hit record - my solo acoustic/vocal version of Neil Young's "Hey Hey" played on my 1964 Gibson B25-12N:

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/heyhey777b

BluesKing777.

Good stuff.i love your 12 string sound...it's not full of jangly overtones. [thumbup]

I think every second 12 string I pick up in a shop has an unplayable string spacing with the paired sets of strings too far apart from each other.

edit...by that i mean i like the octave strings really close together...then a nice space to the next set of doubles.I'm probably not making sense..but when I find ones I can play I enjoy them.

Thanks for the replies!

I mainly strummed the tune with my thumb to cut the janglies. I was playing the riff bit with my thumb but it sounded nasty because the skinnier string of the pair is on top in a Gibson 12 string. I then hit the riff with top of my index finger nail! The whole guitar is a real handful with the 2 inch nut and needs to be played with fingerpicks......except it is deafening! I got blisters on my fingers - quote - and the beast is back in its box............ It would be a bad decision to play the B25-12n all night, or worse, a gig!

BluesKing777.

Seems to be sinking down the chart like a stone!

Before it goes, I must mention that the old 12 string was bought off EBay and had a promise of being 'professionally packed and mailed'.

It arrived in perfect condition somehow, after a trip from Atlanta somewhere to Victoria, Australia, in an old gig bag that didn't fit with the huge headstock sticking out the top of the bag and the whole thing wrapped in brown wrapping paper! When it was delivered, I nearly died 5 deaths right there on the doorstep, but when I gave it a quick strum it was almost in tune! True! Just dumb luck.

I don't buy a single thing off Ebay anymore.

BluesKing777.

Thanks for those replies!

Photos as requested - I should be the darling of the fashion photographers, because my photos of the 12 string sure make it look prettier than it is, but here are a few:

B25-12N1_zps47b6e121.jpg

B25-12N3_zpsf906a965.jpg

My guitar tech/luthier/magic man swapped out the adjustable saddle and corrected the intonation problems by routing a piece out of the bridge and making the insert with bone saddle - it worked beautifully and from this photo below, you can see how far out the previous saddle would have been - tunes up well for an old 12 string! How did a dog hair get in there?:

B25-12N2_zpscec14024.jpg

BluesKing777.

I know those B-series guitars are relatively small, but that big bridge and wide fretboard make the guitar body look like a baritone uke.

Sounds great.

It sure is a weird and ungainly unit, but what a sound!

It has NO relationship to the Taylor 12 that I tried at the shop, or even the other extreme, the big Guild that is built like a brick. Like I said before the skinny strings are on top, so it will never get that Rickenbacher 12 twang.

It also has a passive Fishman u/s pickup I had put in! The electrified 12 plans I had were shelved though, so it is handy for tuning with the TC tuner..... Though it sounds cool through the Fishman Aura pedal!

Bad news is the second G is buzzing making it sound like a Sitar.....

BluesKing777.

It sure is a weird and ungainly unit, but what a sound!

It has NO relationship to the Taylor 12 that I tried at the shop, or even the other extreme, the big Guild that is built like a brick. Like I said before the skinny strings are on top, so it will never get that Rickenbacher 12 twang.

BluesKing777.

That's the way all Gibson 12's are strung. You can easily change it by modding the nut and flipping the strings.

Just about time for me to go to bed to wake up in the New Year. Tell me, oh wise BK, from your position already in the future, what does 2015 look like?

That's the way all Gibson 12's are strung. You can easily change it by modding the nut and flipping the strings.

Just about time for me to go to bed to wake up in the New Year. Tell me, oh wise BK, from your position already in the future, what does 2015 look like?

Glad you asked!

We have our new silver hats and jackets promised in 2001 Space Od, at last - and the groovy red plastique furniture from Space Od 2, but everything is else is pretty well the same...so far.

I need to nip off to the sprocket factory, but the flying George Jetson car is still on the charger....

The real big news is that they just found Elvis in Byron Bay!

HNY!

BluesKing777.

Archived