Gibson Brands Forums

URBAN.....

Murph

A guy brought me his brand new Keith Urban acoustic to play yesterday.

The inlay at the "A" almost ripped the callause off my finger. It wasn't an INlay, more like an ONlay. I think two of them were stuck together and I did a big show-off slide up the fretboard.

Luckily for me it was the super tough middle finger callause. So here's the moral.

No I didn't give Keith Urban the middle finger.

But I wanted to........

Wasn't familiar with this model - so Googled it. Looks like they are lower priced guitars sold with picks and beginners instructional stuff. Maybe the 'onlay' is designed to discourage further budding artists from wanting to practice, get better, and complete with Keith. Or, the owner wasn't familiar with proper hydration requirements and the wood shrunk on the fretboard!

To his credit, Urban is donating a part of the profits to charity. Lawdy knows though between him and his wife they cannot need more money. I gather he is selling a ton of the acoustic and electric packages

Basically guys like Urban and Esteban are following the business model of Oscar Schmidt - give a free guitar (the cheapest you have) as an incentive to buy music lessons. The profit is not in the guitar but the lessons. Thing is those little Schmidt concerts have become legendary. Urban's guitars will eventually be tossed aside and end up in Goodwill stores coast to coast.

Archived