Gibson Brands Forums

Detroit.....

Murph

"So to me the bottom line isn't being anti-union, it's a matter of unions doing a poor job of being forward-looking in terms of the economy and technology. There are dozens of other examples, Detroit is a fine example of a changing economy weighed down by generations of corporate and government benefit packages to the point it was proven to be a variation on a ponzi scheme."

Very well said! Like you, I was a tradesman that grew up in the 50's and like you, saw how the "Guild" mentality became the " Fat cigar and handshake" reality. German trade unions have struggled with a vast scope of problems..ie:, Volkswagon, BMW. etc., yet they dissected the problems and found a balance with an aging work force and a very young unemployed populace. Competition in the shrinking world markets is more fierce than ever....cities like Detroit and the rest of the "Rust Belt" will rejuvenate> but the change will be slow in coming!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apocalyptic.

Yeah. That's bad. Wonder how much I can buy one of those buildings for. I'll bet you could get one for pennies on the dollar.

Yup.....saw some of the old Mega Mansions on the Detroit river were up for sale at a ridiculous price. Also saw a few craftsman homes for under $500, but you wouldn't want to live in the "neighborhood"[thumbdn]

Even if you could live in the neighborhood, you'd spend more than Bill Gates could afford just on bringing an old Sears home up to code.

m

Watched an interview with a buyer that scoops up "blocks" at a time! He said that the code upgrades are the biggest deterrent.:blink:

Archived