Gibson Brands Forums

Cabinet Wiring Question

NHTom

Ok, I'm in the process of "Consolidating" my gear.

I just purchased a 2x12 cab.

101_0532_zps6da1f4fe.jpg

It currently has a single jack.

I'm wondering if there is a way to install a multi jack with 3 plugs. One wired as 2x12 and the other two single 12, that way if I want to plug in two different heads at once, it would be each to a single 12, but if only one head, I could run it as a 2x12.

Wondering if this is possible or not?

NHTom

I'm guessing you might be able to wire it like this...

One jack wired to each speaker - regular pos/neg wiring

Third jack (maybe located between the other two) for both speakers. On this jack you would run jumpers from each of the positive lugs on the other two jacks to the positive lug on this jack and each of the negative lugs on the other two jacks to the negative lug on this jack.

Hope that wasn't too confusing - basically your 2 speaker jack would be using the already existing wires to each speaker - just short jumpers from the other two jacks. I think that would give you parallel wiring/load.

Hopefully someone smart will jump in here and tell you if this is totally wrong! [scared]

OK..........here is the end result.

My goal was to consolidate my gear a bit but also have a better sound if I want to play out at all.

I did not want a 4x12 as I'm trying to cut down on room.

I was originally after a slant 2x12 vertical, but A) those are hard to find used and B ) you are limited to vertical.

I found a local deal on very small frame Carvin 2x12 (horizontal)

101_0532_zps6da1f4fe.jpg

I wanted to be able to run my two small Marshall Lead 12 heads as an A/B setup into 1x12, but wanted to retain a single cab. I also wanted to be able to use it as a single 2x12 for the Mesa Mini Rec I've got on the way. Rather than get into all kinds of weird wiring, I found this multi plate that was pre wired to do exactly what I wanted.........

cabinetmod1_zps581c23d4.jpg

I didn't want to molest the cab any more than I had to, so instead of cutting out the back panel for the jack plate, I used 3 of the 4 mount holes which is more than strong enough and if I ever want to put it back, 3 little black screws will hide easily.

I used the corner protector screw holes to mount 4 new feet on the side of the cab (again, to not add any new holes)

cabmod2_zpsc55d9101.jpg

and TA DAAAAHH!!!!! My new compact vertical 2x12 with multi wiring.

cabmod3_zpsa31c635a.jpg

Fun project.......very little extra work and I end up with exactly the cab I wanted.

NHTom

I got them from http://studiosoundelectronics.com/

I have to say, they shipped quickly and when they said "plug and play" they meant it. It took me installing 3 screws, sliding on 4 blade connectors, and I used a couple zip ties to neaten it up.

The only part I didn't do was cut the large hole to flush mount it, but I HATE cutting holes in stuff.

Very pleased with the product and they had a few others similar for other needs.

NHTom

I got them from http://studiosoundelectronics.com/

I have to say, they shipped quickly and when they said "plug and play" they meant it. It took me installing 3 screws, sliding on 4 blade connectors, and I used a couple zip ties to neaten it up.

The only part I didn't do was cut the large hole to flush mount it, but I HATE cutting holes in stuff.

Very please with the product and they had a few others similar for other needs.

NHTom

Thanks Tom. And I hear on the holes :)

Very ingenious... with a nice usable result. [thumbup]

Thanks,

while certainly in no danger of heading off on a world tour with it, For my 90% bedroom use with limited space and the occasional need to move some air in a band situation, it worked out to be the best of all worlds for my me.

I also have to chuckle......I've mostly been playing my little Marshall Lead 12 through one of it's matching cabs......the tiny 1x10......what a difference it makes having 2x12.....I've heard of people gigging with micro terrors and HT5's plugged into a 4x12 and didn't think it was really possible........makes my little Marshall sound quite a bit bigger than it is.......still don't think I'd gig with it, but when my Mesa Mini Rec 25 gets here, that might be another story.

NHTom

....what a difference it makes having 2x12.....I've heard of people gigging with micro terrors and HT5's plugged into a 4x12 and didn't think it was really possible........makes my little Marshall sound quite a bit bigger than it is.......still don't think I'd gig with it

Oh no doubt! I bet it sounds great. [thumbup] My little JTM1 head sounds beasty through a 2-12 and even beastier through a 4-10 or 4-12! And I have gigged with it too - though not with a full drum kit on stage.

Archived