Gibson Brands Forums

christmas delay pedal kit

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

My inlaws kindly got me an echo Blue pedal kit from pedalparts.co.uk. it looks promising, tape echo type decay and all that.

I've populated the circuit board....

IMG_20141229_163506.JPG

Now I just need to solder all this....

IMG_20141229_163440.JPG

Guest Farnsbarns

Enclosure drilled, the in/out are slightly out of line, I can live with that, the led is not central and I'm really screwing about it. I need a drill press!

IMG_20150103_165834.JPG

IMG_20150103_170422.JPG

Theres a cool old trick for drilling into metal... Stick some sellotape on the drilling spot.. it gives a tiny bit of grip while the bit penetrates the top layer of metal.. works for me anyway :)

Enclosure drilled, the in/out are slightly out of line, I can live with that, the led is not central and I'm really screwing about it. I need a drill press!

Looks close. [biggrin]

Even with a drill press you still have to use a ruler to find center unless you have a great eye. But the drill press won't dance around in your hand and drift off the mark. [scared]

Guest Farnsbarns

I covered the top with masking tape and marked out. I centre punched the marks and then I drilled. My 4mm bit was slightly off true so there's a vibration. This is a problem you don't get with a drill press. Still, I can't justify the expense at the moment so I'll live with the odd off centre LED! I'll still whinge about it though. :unsure:

Guest Farnsbarns

It works! Sounds nice too. A couple of wiring snaps coming. I could demo the pedal if anyone's interested. A PT2399 delay for £30 is not bad at all, the board is top quality, all the connectors and the switch are good quality and the wire in the kit is nice, Teflon, multi strand decent wire. It's not a difficult build at all either, I did it from the instructions without paying any attention to how the circuit works (too much effort to research the ICs).

Link - PedalParts - Echo Blue clone

Guest Farnsbarns

Good job. I been interested in electronic stuff all my life but never did anything about. I bet it sounds great!

This would be a good start. No need to understand any of it, just join the dots. Of course, the schematic is there to be studied if preferred.

I didn't get the enclosure (only because it was a gift and I didn't order it, they won't supply one without a kit so I had no choice but to order elsewhere and drill myself) but that would be easier still.

I've got tied up with Sunday afternoon sh1t now but I'll take a pic or two of the finished product soon and I'll make a vid when I can.

Archived