Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Studio Electronics?????

jbear

I'm curious as to what Gibson is wiring these up with. Caps...pots...values? I don't see anything on the Gibson site. Are they putting PCB's in these or a traditional pot install? I know the volume pots are push/pull...bout all I can find.

I have one inbound and I'm trying to plan my benchtime.

Thanks folks!

I'm pretty sure it will be a pcb with four full sized pcb mounted pots (so you probably won't want to reuse them because of the different tabs). I'm not sure of the values, probably a mix of 500k and 300k and I forget what cap they used but I seem to remember them being ceramic. The pickups just plug into the pcb so if you want to change pickups you either have to splice the new pickups onto the connectors or rewire the whole thing point to point like it should have been done in the first place. I pulled a pcb out of a 2009 studio because of this and ended up making a whole new wiring harness for it.

Thanks for the response. I'll play it for a while, but experience tells me that I'll want 500k pots all around and a .015 cap on the neck.

If I have to re-harness...no big deal.

A while ago I picked up a Studio with the 490/498. Normally I would have dumped those immediately, as I've never liked that combination, but...this one sounded fantastic. I checked the guts and found that the previous owner put in 500's with .015/.022 PIO's. I am 100% sold on cap materials...but...never heard a 490/498 sound this good. So...I've been sticking with that.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the response. I'll play it for a while, but experience tells me that I'll want 500k pots all around and a .015 cap on the neck.

If I have to re-harness...no big deal.

A while ago I picked up a Studio with the 490/498. Normally I would have dumped those immediately, as I've never liked that combination, but...this one sounded fantastic. I checked the guts and found that the previous owner put in 500's with .015/.022 PIO's. I am 100% sold on cap materials...but...never heard a 490/498 sound this good. So...I've been sticking with that.

Thanks again!

The 490/498 combo is better than you think.

First...I meant to say...I'm NOT 100% sold on cap materials. I change them anyway cuz I'm changing the value...might as well...cost is negligible, and...if I'm changing one anyway...go ahead and do the bridge too.

Second...I think the 490/498 is just fine. There are too many variables to say why this combo has never appealed to me until this particular Studio. I played a 137 (or 135...can't remember) and they sounded awful...same with an SG and another Studio...harsh and cold...YUCK! If I was playing metal or 80's stuff, or a triple rectifier dimed. or buckets of modulation...probably be okay. I'm a blues/fusion/jazz guy...This current guitar for whatever reason is money for my blues tone. I am hoping that this 2013 will have that magic. It's a Goldtop...not a Tribute.

I love the 490/498 in my '98 LP. They wound them extra hot back then, the bridge is almost 14k and I think the neck is around 10k - you can really get some nice sounds out of them.

uh.. if you have the guitar why don't you just take the back cover off and look to see if it's just wires and pots or a PCB board.

that should take you like ummm 1 minute.

Uh...if you read the original post...you'll see that it's not here yet. Should take you about one minute.

Cool...Thanks so much!

Maybe I can do a cap swap without yanking the whole board

Can you tell if all the pots are 500's by any chance.

Thanks again!

Here are the innards of my 2013 Leftie studio.

imagejpg1-2.jpg

Cool...Thanks so much!

Maybe I can do a cap swap without yanking the whole board

Can you tell if all the pots are 500's by any chance.

Thanks again!

500k Linear Volume, 500k Non-linear Tone so I have been told.

Cap swap should be relatively easy to do I think.

500k Linear Volume, 500k Non-linear Tone so I have been told.

Cap swap should be relatively easy to do I think.

Why are they using box caps in the first place anyway? I've never seen a guitar wired with box caps like that.

Why are they using box caps in the first place anyway? I've never seen a guitar wired with box caps like that.

I'm guessing it's a cost thing......although caps are hardly an expensive item......but then Gibson will be buying them by the truck load so a few pence saved on each one will add up.

When I rewired a Traditional Pro I had to ask where the caps were even as I was looking at them. They were like two tiny blue blobs of snot...didn't look like any capacitor I had ever seen. That was weird!

Archived