Gibson Brands Forums

What Exactly Happens To A Guitar When...

D4RK_4DV3NT

...you put strings on it that are the wrong gauge? I have an Ibanez and put strings on it, but there's a lot of buzzing now...especially around the 12th fret. Also, in some places it seems if I fret a string, the string will touch the next fret higher and play that note instead. The strings are reading correctly with a tuner, but they do feel a bit "loose" if that's the right word. Forgive me for the ignorance, but I'm still new to some of the more "technical" things.

The bridge is adjustable...not sure why I didn't think of that. The strings on it previously worked very well' date=' but they were old and had a bit of corrosion on them from when they were being stored and shipped...so I changed 'em out. [/quote']

I just had the same thing happen to me... Changed the strings on my Robot and all of the sudden I was buzzing all over the place... When you changed yout strings did you take off all the strings at once? That may be the problem... When you take off all the string there is no tension on the bridge which leave the adjustment wheels pron to be easily moved without you realizing it. There is also a chance that the neck of your guitar relaxed a bit when all the tension was taken off it and changed its position slightly. I just restrung my LP Classic last night and I left the 2 E string on the guitar as a couple people here in the forum suggested. That gave me plenty of room to do a good cleaning and keep the tension on the guitar so nothing moved.... After replacing all the string in the middle I did the 2 E's and tuned up. Man what a difference a new set of strings make and no buzzing anywhere...

Thanks for mentioning the bridge...not really sure why I didn't think of that before. Looking back, when I was changing the strings I remember noticing the two screws on both sides used to raise or lower the bridge, but I didn't think much of it. Right after changing the strings, the guitar sounded fine...after tuning it of course. However, I guess it changed a bit over time. I did raise the bridge and retune the guitar not too long ago and it sounds MUCH better. There is still a *slight, slight* bit of buzz, but I think I just need to raise it a tiny bit more...I'll fix that later though. As for now, it sounds a lot better...thanks!

Archived